Will "Rewhipped" hit Billboard 200 Charts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I wonder if "Rewhipped" will hit the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts?? It would be the first time since 1987 "Keep Your Eye On Me" & Herb has not charted since then. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I suppose it's possible, maybe somewhere in the bottom 50 or so. But its minimal promotion and the fact that most stores I looked at only stocked like two copies, it's probably unlikely. The awareness and availabliity just doesn't seem to be there. At least in my neck of the woods.

I did make sure it was always at the front of the rack at the stores I went to, hoping the cover photo might attract some attention and an impulse buy or two.

I would be really cool if it charted though. Wouldn't that give Herb a charted album in each of the past FIVE decades? (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s) Other than The Rolling Stones and Barbra Streisand, I can't think of anyone else that has done that (not counting compilations, that is!)

By the way, I really like Rewhipped... but the original is still the best!

Sorry, Matt... I guess I read your posting too fast. So, Herb didn't chart anything in the 90s? I assumed that the momentum from "Keep Your Eye On Me" would have helped nudge one of those early 90s albums into the bottom of the 200. Especially post-Milli Vanilli, when there was that (too) brief comeback for true talent and musicianship. Guess not. :sad:

SECOND WIND and PASSION DANCE didn't crack the top 200? With concert tours for both releases? That surprises me. As for REWHIPPED, while the music seems to be aimed at younger music buyers, the marketing sadly, isn't. Stores are stocking it in their "easy listening" session and most only have one or two copies. Also, I've seen TV commercials for newcomers like Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood. What would have hurt with a tv commercial for REWHIPPED? I picture 2 scenarios: 1) Bree in the foreground clad in only strategically placed whipped cream being seductive while Herb is playing his horn in the background and an announcer is mentioning all the re-mix engineers who participated in the record. 2) A re-creation of the Dating Game set with Bree clad strategically in cream, sitting in the young lady contestants chair and Herb playing his horn as bachelor number 1. He walks up to her playing the new version of Whipped Cream or Lollipops And Roses and gives her a kiss on the cheek while the anouncer announces re-mix credits. Sadly, the only TV promotion it seems, will be Herb's appearance on Leno next Thursday, which I, along with the rest of Herb's 25+ years old fans will watch. It probably won't have much impact on the younger crowd.

David,
thinking some marketing opportunities were missed
here.......

Nope, those albums didn't make the charts. I think they might have made the jazz chart but not the top 200.

I think SF's problem with promotion could be they don't have the resources (cash) to mount a big campaign. Contrasting to Sergio's album -- he had the pull of will.i.am, and the clout of Starbucks behind him. And, Herb's stated that he's "out of the record business" now anyway, so he may have done this album as more of a lark and because the SF people wanted him to.

I don't think Lani would like your #2 ad scenario! :D

Mike Blakesley said:
Nope, those albums didn't make the charts. I think they might have made the jazz chart but not the top 200.

Right. Herb's stuff was on the jazz charts, and I think North On South St was on the R&B charts, but that's about it.

Capt. Bacardi

Re-Whipped has placed in the top 50 of Amazon's sales chart, but whether that will translate into enough sales to hit the Billboard chart is a good question. Given Herb's increased profile with the catalog re-releases last year and his induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this week, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes at least a brief entry.

I hope the news that Herb's "out of the record business" doesn't mean that he won't be recording new music. It'd be a shame if this turns out to be his last record! I'll choose to interpret his statement to mean that he doesn't care if he has any more hit records.

Tony

shoulda coordinated the cover shot with a cover of Playboy...

doubt rewhipped will break top 200 - surprised that Second Wind didn't (it's a favourite of mine)

surprised that Second Wind didn't (it's a favourite of mine)
No surprise there. Herb hadn't had a big record in about half-a-dozen albums, many of which were more pop-ish that that one, so it's no surprise it didn't hit the chart.

I wouldn't have even known the Re-Whipped album existed if I hadn't heard it on the in-store music system at the Virgin music store on Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago this week (I live in the UK but was in Chicago on business). I have not heard or seen anything about it here in the UK.

I immediately enquired about it but there was a bit of a struggle to find it in the store - their computer system thought it was downstairs with the electronica and techno stuff (?). I eventually found it with the standard Herb Alpert stuff in the Jazz section upstairs and, in a fit of nostalgia, I also bought the Signature Series re-issue of Whipped Cream.

Had a listen to both today - wonderful stuff! I can see myself buying ALL the reissues - so many memories evoked by the music as my folks had a couple of the albums when I was a youngster. Used to listen to them on one of those monster stereograms that had a glowing green 'eye' and generated enough heat to warm the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom