Will Shout!Factory re-release Greatest Hits and America?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonely bull

I know that this Topic has been covered already to some extent - so please forgive me - but I don't remember a definitive Yes or No - we know that Shout!Factory intend to release all of the TJB and Herb's solo catalogues - but what about the compilations " Greatest Hits " and " America " ? These were classic albums I.M.O and were 2 out of 4 TJB albums that my dear old Mum and Dad ever bought back in the early 70's ( the other 2 that we had were " Ninth " and " Christmas with H.A. and the T.J.B " , The U.K. version of " The Christmas Album ", which had identical track listing, but a different cover photo ).Also, I have 3 different versions of " Greatest Hits " 3 on vinyl and 1 on CD - My favourite has a white cover with a nice photo of the band in front of a idyllic riverside location. One of the other versions I have has a orange cover with totally different track listings but with the same photo. I also have another version which has a red cover with identical track listings to the white version and the same photo again ( Pickwick international label ). My second question is: Was the white version sold in the U.S? Or did You just have the orange version?And was " America " available in the U.S ? I can provide all the track listings if anyone wants them.

We've never heard anything about the compilations.

Our guess is, that after the albums have all been released then a new "best-of" compilation will surface. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the original Hits albums, because they really aren't practical for the CD format due to their length (unless they put both on one CD, but that would still leave out several chart singles).

America was not released in th U.S., so I wouldn't even expect it to release here as a Shout! Factory CD. To the best of my knowledge, Greatest Hits only appeared here in the States as the orange cover, which was originally issued as a gatefold. I believe that record club releases and the later A&M pressing(s) were without the gatefold. The other thing to remember about the U.S. A&M Greatest Hits series was that the Tijuana Brass and The Baja Marimba Band (and probably the other acts in the series - I think Wes had passed) were on hiatus and the G.H. series was meant to keep interest up in the vinyl emporiums and on the radio.

If anything, I would put my money on a new compilation. Only reason I mention it is that from monitoring the Amazon sales, the TJB compilations are still good sellers. "Definitive Hits" moves well, and there are even sales for the orange "Greatest Hits" and "Classics Vol. 1"; the latter two are out of print and people are *still* buying them!

Track listings for the white cover version of " Greatest Hits " (1970) was: Lonely Bull, Spanish Flea, So What's New, If I Were A Rich Man, Up Cherry Street, Marjorine, Wade In The Water, Cabaret, Taste Of Honey, Tijuana Taxi, Hello Dolly, A banda, Mame, Lollipops And Roses, My Favourite Things, Zorba The Greek.
Track listings for " America " was : America, Lonely Bull, A Quiet Tear, Tijuana Sauerkraut, Never On Sunday, Acapulco 1922, Spanish Harlem, Green Leaves Of Summer, More, Milord, The Great Manolete, Winds Of Barcelona.
All great TJB melodies, and they would sound fantastic on CD!

Funny that a compilation was titled "America," yet about half the titles evoke Mexico or Spain!

The TJB compilations I have are the original orange GH, GH2, Classics, Foursider (LP only), Solid Brass and Def Hits. I don't have any of the international ones, except for the "New Gold Series" volumes 1 and 2, which are Japanese -- and "Very Best of Herb Alpert," wherever that's from.

I have that AMERICA album on LP. I found it in a used record store a few years ago and thought it would be a nice addition to the collection. I can't say I've ever played it - maybe to check to see how quiet it was - I had all of the tracks elsewhere on CD.

I also found an import version of THE LONELY BULL with the photo of the group playing in a bull ring.

I've never found any of the other import LP compilations - though I've seen a few show up on eBay once in awhile.

I think Rudy's probably right that after Shout! Factory issues the albums, they'll probably at some point come up with a hits compilation. Perhaps if the rumored box set is to come to be, a smaller compilation would follow, along the lines of what the Burt Bacharach box, THE LOOK OF LOVE, did. The big set was issued, and then a year or so later, a trimmed-down one-disc compilation was released.

Harry

I have that version of The Lonely Bull too, along with slightly different versions of Ninth and S.R.O - they carry the same cover shots as the standard albums but they have extra caption boxes - for instance on Ninth there is a large orange box which states " This is Herb Alpert's Ninth album ". These albums appear to have been " facelifted " to give them a more modern appearance. I also have 3 compilation albums from Germany, they are: Carmen 70 ( same cover shot as Whipped Cream ), Happening ( same cover shot as the English Volume 2 ) and Mexican Shuffle ( same cover shot as S.R.O ). I bought these on German eBay for the curiousity value!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom