Wincle Lamoyan Coan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

Came across this in a Google Books search.

Billboard
Jun 27, 1964

Station Promotions making headlines these days: KSFO (San Francisco) deejay Herb Kennedy asked his listeners to write him, in 25 words or less, “Why I Would Like Herb Alpert to Write a Song for Me.” The two-week contest awarded 10 runners-up copies of the Baja Marimba Band album. The winner received a song written, recorded and released on A&M Records on the Almo label. Of course, the winner will participate in the royalties of the net sales of the single at the rate of 1 per cent. The name of the winner is Wincle Lamoyan Coan. Alpert and KSFO program director Al Newman made the choice based on the entrant’s unusual name.

Oh, I love that song!

"Wincle Lamoyan Coan...
Simply because you're near me....
Funny, but when you're near me....
Wincle Lamoyan Coan...."

Wincle.jpg

Almo International 206 - Wincle Lamoyan Coan (A KSFO Fan) b/w
Pedro's Porch (Pt. II)

Steve S. and his vast knowledge, contacts and collection never ceases to amaze.

Last week when he was so graciously hipping us to the great upcoming Craig Ferguson appearance, numerous people questioned his ability to confirm this information. :shrug:

Thanks for the great pic Steve. Gotta love that old "Almo" logo. Of course now I am going to have to hear this interesting BMB promo track! :bandit:

Unfortunately this link no longer seems to be active:

http://bajamarimba.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53601&sid=a2dceb014190416b18edc2f42efa0e53

My apologies A&MguyFWB. After rereading my post, I definitely came off as a pompous douche myself and it appeared as if I was pointing my frustration at this great boards sometime lack of courtesy at you.

Numerous "song parodies" often appear here instead of actual enlightenment, which sometimes frustrates me. Like yesterday, now I really want to know more about Wincle Lamoyan Coan! The track, who played on it & the man himself - Wincle, but perhaps I am in the minority here.

I guess I just prefer more "info" over more "Yankovic" :wink:

The recording begins with harmony vocals singing with a Mexican accent:

This is my song to you, just to you, yes
Wincle Lamoyan Coan.

The song then goes into a typical Baja Marimba Band instrumental for a "verse".

Once again the vocals come back with a slight variation, the word "our":

This is our song to you, just to you, yes
Wincle Lamoyan Coan.

The instrumental repeats, with a short trumpet-line bridge, then repeats again with a slightly modified call-response version with the trumpet responding to the marimba lead.

Again, the vocal repeats:

Wincle Lamoyan Coan.

The recording has a false ending here, but picks up again with the bridge, this time with a clarinet instead of the trumpet.

The verse instrumental then repeats.

The vocal comes back, repeating twice, the second time slowing down for the big finish:

Wincle Lamoyan Coan.
Wincle Lamoyan Coan.

Harry

Fascinating, a real Baja Marimba Band rarity with a unique history! Of course, I'd really like to hear it, too. Since Herb Alpert wrote the song, why did Julius Wechter and the gang record it, instead of Herb and the Brass?

Charles

I think BMB did well on radio in the SF area back in the day. I have a number BMB Almo INt'l singles with handwritten notes in or on the sleeves between (I assume) SF radio people and/or A&M staffers, like "Jerry, 'Guacamole' is doing well on KSFO, -Derek" which i find intriguing... I wonder if I should paint the resonator tubes on my marimba in a chromatically rainbowish scheme... :wink:

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom