• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Would a Reissue of Sergio's Debut Still Be HERB...PRESENTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

I've just been wondering if Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's debut, if it were ever reissued, (in ANOTHER reissue program, like the one by Verve) would still be entitled Herb Alpert Presents? ("HAP") The title seems to suggest the group is "Herb's Discovery", while Brasil '66 (and '77) has since long been well-known. And except for the Japanese reissue, the debut has long been out-of-print. Though the second album, Equinox, has had a reissue through the Verve/A&M reissue program. There just seems to a potential for whatever new buyers there are to ask "Who is...?" Er, despite the upcoming Herb Alpert & TjB reissues...

Dave

Of course it would. The group WAS Herb's discovery at the time. Why alter history? He presented the group to the public. These days, Herb's name isn't needed to "sell" the group to the public, but the album was titled that way originally and there's no plausible reason to change it.

I agree with Mike on this. To preserve history and keep the album as authentic as possible, there really doesn't seem to be any feasible reason to change the title. It sounds classy, looks good, and gives them the same refinement being introduced on Herb's label like it did forty years ago.

NP: Mas Que Nada (the eternal radio standard)

Dave said:
I've just been wondering if Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's debut, if it were ever reissued, would still be entitled Herb Alpert Presents?

It has already been reissued a time or two. The title does read Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Interesting question.

Jon

brasil_nut said:
Dave said:
I've just been wondering if Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's debut, if it were ever reissued, would still be entitled Herb Alpert Presents?

It has already been reissued a time or two. The title does read Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Interesting question.

Jon

Although...wasn't it reissued in Japan under the title "Mas Que Nada"? Renaming of albums seems to happen more in other countries than here.

I think it was also "INTRODUCING..." in the UK if I'm not mistaken.

Harry

My Japanese reissue has the original cover art and says: Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66.

I also have an "Introducing" album -- a compilation of popular tunes by the group, culled from various albums.

Jon

TRACK LISTING FOR "INTRODUCING SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66" (AMLB 1001)
Mas Que.../Pretty World/FOTH/Scarborough Fair/Bim Bom/With a Little Help/Agua de Beber/Festa/The Look of Love/Triste

Probably the biggest representation of FOTH tracks I've seen on a compilation. That album's always held back on comps (especially on the double "Very Best of..." CD.)

On the back jacket of "INTRODUCING" there's b/w photos of the first 5 A&M albums and a cheesy blurb:

THE SOUND OF THE 60'S, THE SOUND OF THE SEVENTIES. THE SOUND OF THE CENTURY! THE EMINENTLY SATISFYING SOUND THAT MIXES SUBTLETY WITH EXCITEMENT, THAT LINKS THE SENSUOUS STRAINS OF BOSSA NOVA WITH THE FIRM BEAT OF THE BEST IN ROCK. THE MUSIC OF SERGIO MENDES AND BRASIL '66 IS THE MUSIC OF YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW ALL WRAPPED NEATLY AND PROFESSIONALLY TOGETHER IN THE MOST DELIGHTFUL MANNER.
AND HERE, IN SUPERB STEREO, ARE TEN TRACKS OF MUSICAL MAGIC. THE MUSICAL MAGIC OF SERGIO MENDES AND BRASIL '66.....!

Since when was so-called ad-exec. Darren Stevens from "Bewitched" writing copy for A&M?
Actually, I agree with most of the berserk adjectives used in the blurb, and the track-listing is pretty inviting.
Chris Martin

The cover art on my version of "Introducing" has Sergio laying on a wicker couch with (I think...I'm going from memory) Lani either laying infront of him (upright) hand-in-hand with him, Karen behind the couch, head down in repose (as if looking down at Sergio) and the guys standing around.

Jon

I've seen the wicker couch layout on CD, tho' I can't remember whether it was called "Introducing".
My vinyl curio has a glossy white background with a large (close-up) sketch of Sergio with the group, well-defined purple sketches (you can tell Lani from Karen) in the background. The title is in shocking pink 'bubble writing' on an orange background. Very much "of its time"!
The back sleeve is not plastic coated and the photos of HAP, Equinox, Crystal Illusions, Look Around and FOTH are in b/w, under the blurb I quoted in an earlier post.
Chris

Chris Martin said:
My vinyl curio has a glossy white background with a large (close-up) sketch of Sergio with the group, well-defined purple sketches (you can tell Lani from Karen) in the background.

Hmmm...somewhere I thought I've seen a sketch like that! It is reminiscent of the 45RPM sleeve for "Pretty World" b/w "Festa", although that is just a monochromatic blue-tinted image on a tan-colored sleeve. Same here though: Sergio is larger on the top, with a smaller image of the band below it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom