wwhat happened to 'rise' reissue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

last year(or early this year)after shout released herb's 60s classic albums,this was talk on the forum that shout would release 'rise as well. so far i've not seen hide nor hair of rise in the record stores or nobody brings it up,saying where you can find it. is the reissue coming out or was this just talk? would like to know!

The "official" word from Shout! Factory three months ago was that no more releases were planned at the time. We might as well wait and see if Rise eventually does come out, though, although I wouldn't be surprised if all the reissues are behind us. :sad:

More recent news from Herb himself came in the report from Steve Sidoruk about the Sergio Mendes concert and his meeting with Herb himself:

Herb & Lani were going to Hawaii for two weeks and after they got back, Herb was going to put a group together with Lani and start to perform. It sounded like they were even going to tour! Initially, diners at Vibrato will probably be the lucky members of their audience.

As for TJB releases, I made my request to Herb for more titles to be released. He did say that Volume 2 would have to be warmed up during remastering before any possible release. Also, Herb said that Shout! Factory wanted to do a box set. But, didn't indicate whether he was OK with the idea of it. My feeling was that Herb currently had more thoughts of his new group in mind. Hopefully, we'll know more sometime soon.

One thing we've learned about Herb Alpert is that he prefers forward-thinking. If he's got it into his head that new music for Lani and him is something he'd like to participate in, then that's where his emphasis will be - not thinking about past glories with re-issues.

RISE was in print on CD for at least fifteen years.

Harry

I also thought that Rise was considered for reissue, too... That may have stemmed from the typical post-TjB Reissue thread I'd see, but I do believe that Rise was re-issuable and that immediately as well...

I would certainly like to see Rise is a remixed format the way Whipped Cream had been "Re-Whipped" and despite it being already "dancible" I think it would be the most possible format, as the Title-Track was really such a big hit and sooo timeless having gotten the sampling, 12" remixing and endless radio play and inclusion on compilations (otherwise consisting mostly of TjB-era stuff) throughout the years...

Dave

(...Whatever I gather which may have been "the gospel truth" on this Subject!) :neutral:inkshield:

Well, I have a sure-fire way of getting more re-issues to happen...

... I just need to spend a ridiculous amount of time carefully transferring the rest of my vinyl LPs onto CDs.

As soon as that happens, rest assured, Herb's bound to release them. :wink:

Nathan Strum said:
Well, I have a sure-fire way of getting more re-issues to happen...

... I just need to spend a ridiculous amount of time carefully transferring the rest of my vinyl LPs onto CDs.

As soon as that happens, rest assured, Herb's bound to release them. :wink:

That usually works for me! :D I remember searching for a couple of years to find Tamba 4's first A&M/CTi album. Then after getting the reel (which sounded lousy) and finally the LP, Japan released the CD about six months after! Hrmph!

Rudy said:
Then after getting the reel (which sounded lousy) and finally the LP, Japan released the CD about six months after!

Rudy, did you pick up a copy of the Verve By Request release of We and the Sea?

Sounds like when you're waiting for your food at a restaurant. Light up a cigarette and it comes...

In response to lonelybull's locked message, I too am bitterly disappointed that for the sake of another half-dozen issues/re-issues we could by now have had the entire TJB catalogue on CD. It is at times like these that I lose faith in the artist's attitude and consideration for the fans. Yes, HA has given us many years of pleasure through his fabulous music (for which I will be forever grateful), but people like us have helped to make him a very rich man and that must be worth something. Was it really too much to ask for Herb to have completed the project?

Len

seashorepiano said:
Rudy said:
Then after getting the reel (which sounded lousy) and finally the LP, Japan released the CD about six months after!

Rudy, did you pick up a copy of the Verve By Request release of We and the Sea?

Yes, I've got it! :thumbsup: It sounds marginally better than the Japan CD, probably because the masters are here in the US, and Japan probably gets a copy of the master to work with.

As long as it took me to find the LP, I'm hanging onto it. :D The Japan CD may be eBay or Amazon material in the future.

As much as I think "Rise" and maybe "Keep Your Eye on Me" will complete the re-issues (with the possibility of a box set that includes Herb's song choices from the remaining albums on a CD; maybe a combo "Lost Treasures II" and cuts from Warm, Brass Are Comin', etc.)...there is something to consider. SHOUT! and Herb will make the announcement through official channels. It's basic marketing.

I really don't understand those who have expressed their "bitter disappointment" in the lack of any further TJB re-issues. There is absolutely NOTHING to be bitter about. We saw Lost Treasures and several CDs that were never released at all, as well as several that had gone out of print.

Firstly, no one has said that they have concluded. Secondly, we all have been spoiled by the large number of re-issues that have already been released. Over the last year plus, we have all greedily snatched up the TJB discs, most of which were issued 2 or 3 at a time!

Be patient. Herb is aware of the high prices and demand that is common for TJB items on e-Bay. As soon as we have information about the remaining releases, we will post it here to share with all of you.

I agree--we have all All Eternity for ANYTHING to be reissued! "Being Patient" is right--we all have things that we'd like to see on CD and are struggling to get a lil' more life out of on vinyl... I do hope a lot will come out on SOME kind of "New Format"...!

Len said:
...Why the pause?

"The Pause?" It's me playing my 1980 '45' and then switching back to my "paused" Definitive Hits CD to finally kick-off Rise... (Which I really gotta try to write my "rap" for!) :freak: :laugh:

Dave

Gang-
New to the forum but am stoked to be here as I've been a longtime Herb Alpert fan. How many wedding receptions have you been to in this day and age that have Herb Alpert & the TJB (and a little Sergio) playing in the background? Well that was me in 2004.
Anyway, my question may sound ignorant but I would like to know what the deal is with "reissues"? Can you no longer get "Rise" on CD? I really love that CD. Or is reissue meaning its digitally remastered and maybe a few added songs?

timcressi said:
Gang-
New to the forum but am stoked to be here as I've been a longtime Herb Alpert fan. How many wedding receptions have you been to in this day and age that have Herb Alpert & the TJB (and a little Sergio) playing in the background? Well that was me in 2004.
Anyway, my question may sound ignorant but I would like to know what the deal is with "reissues"? Can you no longer get "Rise" on CD? I really love that CD. Or is reissue meaning its digitally remastered and maybe a few added songs?

Hi Adam! Welcome aboard!

In a general sense, "reissue" means that a formerly out of print recording is made available again. It's up to the artist, or the record label, if they want to "remaster" the recording, which sometimes means they try to find the best source tape they can (hopefully the 2-track mixdown tape) and use that to make the CD. In the 80s, most of the labels saw CD as a big cash cow, and grabbed whatever tapes they could find to create CDs from.

In recent years, remastering isn't as good as it used to be--often, the engineer wants to get rid of all the tape hiss (which also sucks the life out of the recording, since the noise reduction also removes a small portion of the sound in the original recording) and add compression to make the overall volume louder. And they often have boosted treble and bass to make them "jump out" of the system they're played on. It might sound exciting, but it's hardly natural.

At least Rise had a good run as an in-print CD, but it would be nice if it were available again. I don't know of many bonus tracks, other than including the 45RPM single edits of "Rise" and "Aranjuez", and maybe the 12" single versions of the tracks. ("Aranjuez" is slightly different, and "Rotation" had a 12" extended version.)

Back in the mid-'80s, when A&M was still owned by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, a number of older catalog titles were transferred to the new Compact Disc format. Among them were the first six Tijuana Brass albums plus BEAT OF THE BRASS, HERB ALPERT AND HUGH MASEKELA, and a few of the solo albums including RISE.

Several of those titles went out of print rather quickly, like FANDANGO, MAGIC MAN, HERB/HUGH, WHAT NOW MY LOVE, and BEAT OF THE BRASS. The others, including RISE, remained in print up into the late 1990s when PolyGram, the people who purchased A&M back in 1989, sold it off to Universal.

That action sparked lawsuits against Universal by Herb & Jerry and virtually all Herb Alpert titles went out of print, with the masters reverting to Herb's ownership. He then struck a deal with Shout! Factory to re-release his material. Most of 2005 was spent reissuing the first ten Tijuana Brass albums, and the word we got was that after the RE-WHIPPED project, RISE and perhaps some other solo material would be next. But nothing's been announced or officially mentioned for awhile now, leading many to wonder if RISE will be re-issued. Most of us are still looking for the remainder of the Tijuana Brass material, too.

Harry

Rudy-
Right on, thanks for the reply. I'm amazed at how much goes into making music. In terms of out of print CDs, can't these be made "on demand"? If "Rise" is out of stock everywhere and the market is asking for 1000 CDs can't that be cheaply and easily done?
Thanks again for the reply and insights.

It isn't that simple. A RISE reissue would have to be repackaged by the Shout!Factory people, since the previous release was on Universal and is now discontinued. Once the artwork, mastering, liner notes and package design is done, CDs themselves can be easily and cheaply made, but all those preparatory things are expensive, and many more copies are required in order to make any profit. There's nothing really unusual about this; it's the way any mass-market product (anything available worldwide or nationwide) is made.

Personally I am beginning to think Herb might be better off to forget the CDs and just put all the remaining tracks out there for download, either from iTunes, or he could sell them himself off of herbalpert.com. The essential albums that most people want are out now, and overall, CDs are declining in sales...people love the individual tracks if they're not in love with the whole album.

When deciding what to release next, Herb & Co. must be considering the fact that not many people are going to buy those remaining albums, since most of them weren't exactly chart-burners anyway. (RISE and KEEP YOUR EYE being the major exceptions.) Individual tracks would likely do very well saleswise, and would make a good market test -- full CDs could come later if track sales are good.

Hey Mike: some artists are now actually selling CD-Rs of their own albums right from their own website. They're legit, of course, but they are created professionally enough that they don't look like they came from someone's computer desk. The advantage is that they can go with low production runs, carry only a small inventory, and all the money goes to the artist (through direct sales on their website), rather than through the normal supply chain. The listener wins because they have a product in their hands.

Independent musicians also use CD Baby for distributing their music to the public via the internet.

Very true - I was talking about people who have record-company contracts. True, Herb could also do the indie-CD route - but he's big enough that Shout Factory is probably about as small a company as could handle his product.

I bought a "limited edition" comedy CD by Will Durst, called WANTED. The packaging was actually home-made...a plain cardboard sleeve "stamped" with the logo and track list, and autographed. Very cool indeed.

Not exactly "indie", but when Peter Gabriel played here in 2003, they recorded the concert and offered it up for sale via the web. The packaging was sort of "bootleg" looking (brown paperboard with that same "stamped" appearance you're probably referrring to). Neat memento of the concert actually, and it arrived about 4-6 weeks later. Not a CD-R, though--it looks to be manufactured.

perhaps the reissues didn't sell as well as hoped. believe you me, if they'd have done really well, shout would have released every last one of them.

i don't have the figures, but i'd bet that herb alpert's 9th didn't do half as well as the lonely bull

and what about sergio? is the brasil 66 debut ever going to have an merican reissue? i find that odd.

You guys are crying doom and gloom with no basis. Remember, it's only been a few months since RE-WHIPPED was released. It' still on the jazz charts. It's entirely possible Herb decided to take a year to go around and talk about RE-WHIPPED (and his artwork), and possibly put together a band, and will think about next steps after the new album has been promoted sufficiently.

You must remember, we are dealing with a man who:

- Doesn't like to live in the past
- Exhibited the patience of a saint when nurturing new artists at A&M
- Knows what we the fans want and has said it will be delivered...in time. 3 years ago I would have bet $ that NINTH would never be on CD in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom