wwhat happened to 'rise' reissue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, Mike are you saying that we are dealing with a man who you thought would not deliver Ninth on CD in your lifetime? If you relate that statement to Warm and Summertime you could well be right. A tremendous reward by HA for your support (and that of all the other loyal fans) of HA and his music over all these years.

well the japanese have such great taste i predict they will release those missing albums soon.

(this from one who paid $30 each for all the brasil 66/77 cds a couple of years back}

not to mention all of those spanky and our gang japanese reissues!!!!!!!

ouch!

little walty

Mike are you saying that we are dealing with a man who you thought would not deliver Ninth on CD in your lifetime?
Well 3 years ago there had been absolutely NO word from anyone, anywhere that any releases were EVER coming out. - We hadn't heard a word from Herb in years, since the PASSION DANCE album. Then we got the "Definitive Hits" album, and Herb didn't really promote that outside of writing some liner notes...and nowhere did he ever even hint that he was working on a deal to release the old catalog. He seemed more interested in art than music, especially his old music. So yeah, at that time I was ready to believe that we'd never see the less-massive selling albums on CD. Not WILLING, but ready.

I'd say a Japanese reissue project of rarities such as Warm not to mention a few other Shout! Factory-already issued titles may not be far behind...

Whatever reissues I've seen were certainly "by suprise" and I'm sure someone is waiting for everyone to be "off-guard" before the next "wave" of reissues, I guess; nothing to be up set about--I'm sure Herb still care's...

Dave

...just thinking he might just need "room to breathe"...! :freak:

Whoa, did my last post give birth to TWINS?! :laugh:

Anyway, there are still four to go and I'm sure once a "sound quality" issue 'here and there' gets settled, I'm sure we'll get...

* ...Warm, Warm, Summertime, Brass Are Comin' and ...Volume, 2--Yes, ...Volume 2 --Hey, Shout! Factory...Hey, Shout! Factory...

Dave

*...to the tune of "Up, Up and Away..." :laugh:

Oh yeah....got my Almo Sounds mixed up! (Heck, even Herb didn't mention COLORS in his Bob Edwards interview.)

I think Herb's main focus, especially with the reissues, has been to keep the albums that were long haul sellers in print. As for the rest of what's NOT out NOW on Shout Factory, from the TJB albums to the solo stuff, it's just NOT going to be coming out ANY time soon. Think of it, the albums that aren't out now as reissues, probably sold OK in their first couple of months of release, but then just fell by the wayside in sales. For that reason (especially with the solo CDs) I think Herb might feel that if you wanted that stuff on CD, you already have that stuff on CD. Hence, that's why you hardly ever see used copies of Alpert CDs anywhere - nobody gives 'em up that has 'em! I'm not giving up the few that I have - are you?

Hardly ever see used copies of Alpert's CDs anywhere? It's obvious that whippedflea doesn't frequent eBay.................

David,
ROFL!!!!!!!

thetijuanataxi said:
Hardly ever see used copies of Alpert's CDs anywhere? It's obvious that whippedflea doesn't frequent eBay.................

And what benefit might ebay have, where many sellers try to pass off Alpert CDs at exorbitant prices?

I've only seen one used Alpert CD in a store in the last three years, and that was a copy of My Abstract Heart with a nasty cutout on the spine.

I sometimes wonder if the young people who work behind the counters at used CD stores turn Herb Alpert CDs down because they've never heard of him. :confused:

At least the vinyl is (usually) plentiful.

at my used cd store i recently bought passion dance, north on so. street & my abstract heart all in one fell swoop all 4.99 each

You're all forgetting the very plentiful and readily available DEFINITIVE HITS. Like it or not, it's still a big seller, and it has the two "big" songs from RISE on it along with Herb's other career-spanning hits. Believe it or not, this satisfies the large percentage of the population who knows or cares just a little bit about Herb Alpert. We who remember the joys of the individual albums are few and far between.

As for the albums that were out at one time, "whippedflea" is right. Those of us who wanted them, bought them back then. But because they're not available now, there's a psychological need to "want" them.

Consider this. Let's say that tomorrow, we get word that BLOW YOUR OWN HORN is to be released. How many of you out there will equivocate a bit about buying it? Be honest. You might already have it on CD. You might already have it on LP or cassette and find it good enough for the number of times you listen to it. How many will fork over the $18.98 or $15.98 or even $11.98 for another copy of one of Herb's solo albums?

I realize the subject is RISE, and the same could apply to that album too. I'd say most of us already own copies of RISE that sound just fine. So how many of us would readily spring for another?

Personally I would - but then I'm an obsessive collector of all things Alpert. How many of THOSE do you suppose are out there? If the entire membership of A&M Corner were to say "yes" - that's about 1000 or so people - barely an infinitesmal fraction of the population.

I'd buy whatever further releases come out, but Mr. Alpert and Shout! Factory have to be counting the actual numbers of the releases so far, figuring out if more are warrented. Perhaps they are - perhaps they're not. Maybe they'll go the iTunes route - personally I hope not. To this day I still hate the idea of lossy formatted music that doesn't come on a solid software holder. If the "lesser" albums are released digitally on mp3's, I think I'd stick to my LPs - at least all of the "music" is there.

As for used discs, I've seen a few over the number of years since A&M Corner debuted. Generally, the ALMO Sounds stuff is readily found. Usually a copy or two of the later A&M stuff is pretty easy to find. I'd often see NORTH ON SOUTH STREET and MIDNIGHT SUN in the used racks, occasionally a MY ABSTACT HEART, and when RISE was still in print, it too would appear. Way back when WHIPPED CREAM and LONELY BULL were still available, those too would occasionally make the used racks. But in the nearly decade of membership in this site, I've never purchased a used Herb Alpert CD from a rack. The only ones I HAVE bought used came through the Internet, either eBay or other means.

Harry
...a bit long-winded for so early in the morning, online...

Oh, and one more thing about RISE and Shout! Factory. In case you didn't find one, there was a promotional catalog sampler CD from Shout! Factory released when the series was getting started. It included the song "Rise" as the last track on the disc:

PRO_00016D.jpg

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom