• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎄 Holidays! XMAS CD: Vince Guaraldi Trio, "A Charlie Brown Christmas

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
This was my all-time favorite Christmas special while growing up. Those Rankin-Bass productions were a bit interesting, but the one I really looked forward to was Charlie Brown, each year bringing home the same scrawny tree for the Christmas play. :) There was a second Christmas special produced a couple of decades after the original, but it was nowhere near as good. (It was more a collection of small skits than it was a cohesive story.)

That said, I really would have liked this album while I was growing up! Back then, I had no idea you could buy music from television specials, and for that matter, couldn't read the credits to find out who did the music. As a result, the first time I ever saw this recording was when it came out on CD in the mid 1980's. (I think I bought it around 1985 or so, on the same purchase when I bought the German Polygram imports of the TJB's Xmas album and Brasil '66's Greatest Hits.) This CD does omit one song, "Surfin' Snoopy", that appears on another very recent compilation Fantasy put together called Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits. (The music when Snoopy decorates the dog house.)

I usually play through the entire CD, but will sometimes skip the vocal tracks. My favorite, though, has to be "Christmas Time Is Here", a song that by now has become a standard in both vocal and instrumental versions. Other favorites are the jazz trio tracks, like "O Tannenbaum", and the other original, "Christmas Is Coming".

Click here to buy from Amazon.

Or >click here< to get the DVD, which also contains the bonus feature, "It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown".

My earlier post in the "Christmas favorites" still stands-a box set is possible but not probable. For a short time in the mid-70s,the complete show,dialogue included,was available on LP(thanks to Tim Neely's Christmas records book to refresh my memory)-my kids owned a copy and loved it to death-literally- and it came with a read-along picture book. You never,ever,see kids LPs in decent shape in second hand stores. "Linus & Lucy" originally came from an NET(pre-PBS)special about Charles Schulz,"A Boy Named Charlie Brown",circa 1964,Fantasy 85017. The recording is a bit strange as some endings of songs sound like the tape ran out. A full length animated movie, also titled "A Boy Named Charlie Brown",featured embarrassing songs by Rod McKuen but also featured some of Guaraldi's work(embelished by John Scott Trotter)with a lovely long version of "Skating". There was a soundtrack available on Columbia,since CBS bankrolled the movie. Vince Guaraldi re-did some of the basic "Peanuts" themes with electric piano and some strange stereo seperation when he was signed to Warners-the album "Oh,Good Grief" remains in print today and is a slow but steady catalog number. These are some of the odds-n-ends that would love to see in an Ultimate set. I felt from the first time I saw the show in 1965 that this was something special-it just isn't Christmas until its on TV. Mac

jimac51 said:
"Linus & Lucy" originally came from an NET(pre-PBS)special about Charles Schulz,"A Boy Named Charlie Brown",circa 1964,Fantasy 85017. The recording is a bit strange as some endings of songs sound like the tape ran out.

Not sure if I have the CD, but I do have the LP of this one. At the time I got the LP (late 70's or early 80's--it was on Fantasy's "lightning" label), it was the only Peanuts album in print.

A full length animated movie, also titled "A Boy Named Charlie Brown",featured embarrassing songs by Rod McKuen but also featured some of Guaraldi's work(embelished by John Scott Trotter)with a lovely long version of "Skating".

I remember watching something with that title, but don't recall what the plot was. I do remember it had something to do with skating. There was another one where Snoopy ran away from home, "Snoopy Please Come Home."

I also have a broadway cast album, "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown." I remember this played on TV (could have been PBS), and we went out and got the soundtrack of this show, on the Atlantic label, within the next week. Still have this LP somewhere...[/quote]

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I had forgotten all about CHRISTMAS TIME IS HERE and the Charlie Brown Christmas special...I KNOW I saw it many times as a kid...but as an adult, it slipped out of my memory somehow, and never made my holiday collection.

Last night, my son's Choir/band concert featured a Charlie Brown Christmas medley, and I immediately recognized the theme to CHRISTMAS TIME IS HERE, but I couldn't remember the title...so,after the concert , I went to my local Meijer store[which has by FAR the best in-store christmas music soundtrack, in my opinion], and it was playing. So, I immediately ran to the sound department, and there it was, on sale!

I snapped it up, and played it all the way home...I'm ashamed tht I forgot such a big part of Christmas, but glad that the band played it. Sometimes the kids aren't the only ones who learn when they perform...now I need sheet music...my ear isn't good enough to fake this tune...

Dan

One of my very favorite Xmas albums. This was THE Xmas special of my childhood. And it's the only one that isn't glopped up with sentiment, and retains some good pithy dialogue (Lucy: "I never get what I really want. I always get a buncha stupid toys or clothes or a bicycle or something like that." Charlie Brown: "What is it you want?" Lucy: "Real Estate.")

There is one musical fragment in the special that I've never been able to find on any Guaraldi album - and it's not on the CB Xmas album at all. It's the music that accompanies Snoopy'd dance on top of Schroeder's piano. Does anyone know what this is? It rocks!

I'd have to watch it again to see what's played, but I'm betting it might be "Surfin' Snoopy". If you have a RealPlayer on your system, follow my link above to the Xmas CD. Go down on the page a little bit and you'll see the Xmas CD paired up with Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits. Track #2 is used in the TV program but never made the official soundtrack album. (It's a faster song, with cup-muted trumpets adding some color.) Either that or it's yet another song I've forgotten about...

It's not.

"Surfin' Snoopy" is only used when he's decorating his doghouse for the 'Lights and Display Contest.

The 'Snoopy's dance' music is far cooler and 'riffy-er', and it's clearly 'snipped' from something longer.

OK, I'll have to watch the show later this evening. (Cleaning for a birthday party right now...woohoo! No, its' not mine. :wink: I don't turn four tomorrow...but wish I did. :D ) I knew "Surfin' Snoopy" was the doghouse decorating them, but took a guess it might have been used elsewhere. Got a lot of Guaraldi here...I may recognize the tune when I hear it.

OK, for my 'better late than never' report on the music:

1. Most of the TV special revolves around "Christmastime Is Here." That theme is used the most.

2. "Surfin' Snoopy", we know, was not on the soundtrack (but should have been, IMHO). Most of the remainder of the tunes are used incidentally.

3. When Charlie Brown is on the set of the school play, his "Charlie Brown Theme" plays in the background. This song can be found on the fantasy album "A Boy Named Charlie Brown".

4. And the answer to the big question--the part where Snoopy dances on the piano, with Schroeder and Lucy in their familiar poses is...."Linus And Lucy", which is essentially the most familiar Peanuts theme. Most of "Linus and Lucy" is a straight on-the-beat rendition, but there are two "trio" breaks in this song. The first is also on-the-beat, and almost a samba. The second breaks into a swing beat, which is the section used for Snoopy's dance. It has the same chord changes as the first break.

The "Jingle Bells Trio" portion would have made a neat out-take for the soundtrack CD. First time by piano, the second by organ, and the third by one finger on a toy piano....and...."THAT'S IT!!" :santa:

When David Benoit was in town this past summer, he played about a half dozen songs as a warm-up for Rippingtons. He played one song from an older album, four from Fuzzy Logic, but got the most applause for his two Peanuts tunes, the "Charlie Brown Theme" and "Linus and Lucy". It's heartwarming to know that Guaraldi's songs still live on and are still seemingly recognized by almost anyone who's in their 30's and above. Even younger kids who watch Peanuts on video probably recognize these two themes.

"Even my own dog has gone commercial!"

...And the line which still brings a tear,after all these years:-"ISN'T THERE ANYONE WHO KNOWS WHAT CHRISTMAS IS ALL ABOUT? Sure,Charlie Brown....Lights,please..."-and with nothing but a spotlight on a small child holding a blanket,the answer to Charlie's question is revealed. Merry Christmas,Charlie Brown. Mac

2003 update: this CD is now available as a SACD/CD dual-layer hybrid disc. I bought a new one this year, partly because my other CD copy is 18 years old now (!), and another because it had a bonus track. In other words, I was destined to buy it anyway.

Other than having a very slight "digital" edge removed, the SACD version is not really better than the existing CD version. The master tapes for this album have really deteriorated over the years (worn out) and, actually, the original stereo Fantasy LP pressings are the best ones to get. The SACD sounds mediocre, which is pretty much how the master tapes sound. :sad: I didn't pay more than a standard CD copy for it, so nothing's lost. But if you do happen to consider buying it, you won't get the same sudden shock as I got from the standard Fantasy CD version of Guaraldi's album Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus and the DCC gold CD remastered by Steve Hoffman. (The difference is night and day...I'll post a comparison one day.)

NPR did an appreciation about this album Tuesday,Dec.22-the review is archived so you can listen at npr.org. Also,a new Guaraldi album was released with llimited fanfare by BMG. Vince Guaraldi's son,David,patched together some tapes held by George Winston into THE CHARLIE BROWN SUITE & OTHER FAVORITES(82876-53900-2). While none of the specific Christmas material is included,many of the TV themes are woven into a medley,recorded live with a small string ensemble. The good news:Guaraldi's solo on RED BARON uses a real piano and not that tinny electric one on the studio version(OH,GOOD GRIEF on Warner). The bad news-there is a lot of background noise and,though mastered by Bernie Grundman,there are reasons why this material was privately held. If this is the best stuff in the stash,don't expect a volume two. It's also priced kind of high(full list) and packaging is a factor-a shame because it's easier to recommend this kind of stuff if the price was right. BTW,if you see this in the bins,don't be taken aback by the goofy portrait of Vince-it's a Charles Schulz original. In the meantime-it's just fascinating to see the stature of this little scrap of jazz raised every year a bit higher-not unlike the little tree in the cartoon story. Mac

I very much appreciate the review of the SACD version of the album. I'm glad to know it's not that much better. I've been considering buying it but balking at the price. I think I'll just stick with my old one.
I actually made my own "Charlie Brown Christmas" CD-R this year. I changed the order of the songs to match their order in the show, placing the vocal version of "Christmas Time Is Here" at the front and "O Tannenbaum" closer to the end, before "Fur Elise" and "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing". A friend was able to record Linus' reading from the gospel of Luke and I stuck that in as well. I also added the "Charlie Brown Theme" and "Surfin' Snoopy" in to make it more complete. I finished the disc with the non-soundtrack songs, like "Greensleeves" and "The Christmas Song" and then threw on the "Great Pumpkin Waltz" as a bonus track just because I like it so much. The only place where I messed up the order of the songs is with "What Child Is This". I put it as track 2 because I didn't want it too close to "Greensleeves". Instrumentally, they're the same song. I like the flow of the tunes better now and enjoyed the album much more this year as a result.
I had the "Charlie Brown Christmas" book and records as a kid. There was a 12" LP version and a 7" version. The 12" version used the original voice tracks from the TV show. The 7" version was a re-recording of the dialogue using new voices. The strange thing about the 7" version, if I'm remembering correctly, is that they used the original Christopher Shea voice track from the TV show for Linus' reading from the Bible. In the original, Linus says "for behold, I bring you tidings of great joy". The verse in the King James Bible says "for behold, I bring you good tidings". I guess whoever produced the 7" version felt that a word from the verse shouldn't be omitted, so they stuck the word "good" in there using the new Linus' voice. It sounded kind of strange. I don't know why they didn't just re-record the whole thing.
I also don't know why I'm posting all of this in such detail. I guess because it's Christmas and I'm feeling kind of nostalgic. :bigsanta: Merry Christmas, everyone.

Just a few more thoughts on "A Charlie Brown Christmas". I've read that the network wanted it to be quite different than Charles Schulz had envisioned it. They wanted to use adults for the voices, they wanted a laugh track (can you imagine! Augggh!!), and they didn't want any references to the Biblical story of Christmas. Reportedly, Schulz said they would do it his way or not it all. If Schulz had assumed that these network goons knew more than he did and taken their suggestions to heart, I'm sure the show wouldn't be as memorable as it is.
The part of Sally on the show was voiced by a tiny little girl who could only say a few words at a time. They had to piece her dialogue together to make the complete sentences! It's stuff like this that gave the show it's charm and makes it so rewatchable decade after decade.
And, of course, we all know that Schulz' idea to use small group jazz as the soundtrack was innovative and ground-breaking. Vince Guaraldi's music is a vital to the success of the show as Bill Melendez' animation.

That sounds like a good running order. "Surfin' Snoopy" sounds like it was taken from a film print, but I'm sure the original master tapes weren't saved since it was just "incidental" music. I haven't watched it this year--the VCRs aren't hooked up and I never bought the DVD. I do need to get a DVD copy though. The original special certainly beats that second Peanuts special from the late 80's or early 90's, which really didn't have a plot to it. (It just seemed like a bunch of Sunday comic panels strung together.) The third special was supposed to be cute, but I never got a chance to see it.

I think it's nice that David Benoit has taken over in Guaraldi's piano chair. Benoit has always been a big admirer of Vince Guaraldi, and he can still give it a jazz touch while still keeping it contemporary. (In concert, his "Charlie Brown" songs are always crowd pleasers.)

I found it kind of bloated and overblown, lacking the offhand, gentle charm and funk of the original arrangements. Sorta like the 'Mas Que Nadas' from ARARA compared with HAP... :D

I'd welcome a complete Guaraldi PEANUTS music compendium, as there are several compositions from the classic PEANUTS specials that have never been on CD. After the comments concerning the deteriorated quality of the master tapes for A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS, I wonder if they now exist.

The 'second' CHARLIE BROWN XMAS special is pretty forgettable, falling prey to a general 'cutification' that reflects the majority of the later strips themselves. The writer Chris Caldwell, nails the decline in an article called "Against Snoopy":

http://www.comicbookradioshow.com/againstsnoopy.html

Excellent article by Christopher Caldwell. Thanks for providing the link to it. I doubt that any true hardcore old school Peanuts fan would be able to disagree with most of Caldwell's points. I will give Schulz a little more credit though...I would expand the Golden Age of Peanuts to cover an additional 15 years - from 1950 to 1980. I think Schulz showed brilliance from the onset of Peanuts and even before in his "L'il Folks" comics. My favorite very early pre-Peanuts Schulz comic shows two toddler aged kids sitting and talking as a girl of about 5 or 6 years old walks by. One of the toddlers says to the other, "Who's that old hag?".
I think Peanuts probably wasn't as consistantly funny after the early 70s but Schulz still had regular good ideas throughout the rest of the decade. As the 80s wore on, the good ideas were few and far between. I've read published collections of Schulz' 90s strips and they're really pointless.
It was the same way with the TV specials. As the years went on, the quality of the shows decreased. A recent DVD of "Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown" is a good case in point. There are three shows on the DVD - "You're In Love, Charlie Brown" from the mid-60s, "Be My Valentine" from the mid-70s, and "It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown" from the late 70s. "You're In Love" is brilliant. It's a shame that it's largely forgotten. "Be My Valentine" is good but doesn't come close to replicating the charm and humor of the 60s shows, "First Kiss" is pretty lame but not nearly as horrible as the last few shows that were produced.
Okay, I guess I should shut up now. After all, this is an A&M forum!

As for a "complete collection" of Guaraldi's "Peanuts" music,I suspect that won't happen. Notice that David Guaraldi bypassed Fantasy for BMG's Bluebird label and with Bluebird changing management from RCA to Arista during this release,not necessarily a better one. For all of Fantasy's "little label saving jazz" perception,remember the problems that John Fogerty had with Saul Zaentz(who never could dance)trying to get the company to do the right thing with his Creedence Clearwater Revival material. It's probable that CCR and Charlie Brown are what have kept Fantasy alive all these years. By the late '60s,Vince had already left Fantasy for Warner,with OH,GOOD GRIEF the only remaining album in print(do you see that,Rhino Handmade?). Add to that the movie soundtracks and who may have ownership(Sony?Paramount?)and I suspect a dream of seeing this material in a cohesive unit ain't never gonna happen.Mac

Boy, all this talk about The Peanuts Gang brings back memories of A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS! Was there really more than one? I'm reading through the thread a little more carefully now--the only SPECIAL that comes to mind, of course, is the one about that "shabby lil' Ugly Ducking of a Christmas Tree", that becomes a BEAUTY, by the end. No? :o

I do remember the music, and back then had NO idea of "Vince Guaraldi" doing the musical score, much less like anything like "Cast Your Fate To The Wind"--other than Joe Walsh doing a version of it. :laugh:

Dave

...and figured out a way to get the entire title to fit in "subject"... :twitchy:

jimac51 said:
As for a "complete collection" of Guaraldi's "Peanuts" music,I suspect that won't happen. Notice that David Guaraldi bypassed Fantasy for BMG's Bluebird label and with Bluebird changing management from RCA to Arista during this release,not necessarily a better one.

In a strange ironic twist, RCA actually pressed the LPs for Fantasy. Explains why some of those early 70's LPs were paper thin...they were the same "dynagroove" pressings that RCA was putting out for awhile.

The musical rights would definitely be a mess, especially with television networks involved. This is one reason that the WKRP TV series hasn't appeared on DVD yet, and why it never might: clearing the rights to use the music would be expensive. Creating a product involving television, movie and/or music rights is a rough battle.

Back
Top Bottom