• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Yardbirds & Fairport's Jerry Donahue in Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Because Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page weren't on hand Tuesday night, only 75 or so were on hand for the Yardbirds' show at Nashville's Mercy Lounge. This was a loss for those who stayed away.

The lineup includes original members Jim McCarty (drums/vocals) and Chris Dreja (rhythm guitar), and they're on tour with Vanilla Fudge and the Doors of the 21st Century to promote their new album BIRDLAND. This is a mix of old and new songs. The band's club dates are filling gaps in the tour schedule.

Playing lead guitar last night was Jerry Donahue, veteran of Fairport Convention (ROSIE and NINE) and the offshoot project FOTHERINGAY, all recorded on A&M. He turned out to be a very capable substitute for the more famous former members.

Here's what we heard:

I'm Not Talking --- vintage Yardbirds
Over Under Sideways Down -- energetic tune from ROGER THE ENGINEER
Please Don't Tell Me 'Bout the News -- from BIRDLAND
Crying Out for Love
Train Kept a 'Rollin'
A Certain Girl
Heart Full of Soul --- more classic YB stuff
My Blind Life
Dream Within a Dream -- lyrics by Edgar A. Poe
Shapes of Things --- another old favorite
Mystery of Being
Wreck My Mind
Back Where I Started --- from the '80s ex-YB project BOX OF FROGS
For Your Love
Still I'm Sad
Dazed and Confused/ I'm Confused
I'm A Man
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (last 2 were encores)

It was great to see these guys carrying on the tradition. All hung around in the club after the show, and I had some YB and Fairport/Fotheringay LPs on hand for signing.
Because the lights were kept dim and the loudspeaker on full blast, it was difficult to talk to anyone, but I got a few photos made.
Also it would have been nice to have a table, chairs and bottled water for the musicians' post-show comfort.
Other than that, it was a great evening for all who were there.
JB

Not exactly "FIVE, LIVE, YARDBIRDS!", but sounds like a great show and that you had a good time!

Despite the lack of Page, Beck and Clapton, (whom this "original group" was a "launching pad" for their future careers) I'm glad plenty of Yardbird Favorites were played, too!

Dave

...wondering why George Benson's Shape Of Things wasn't the Yardbird's tune, but the discovery of a DIFFERENT song, with a similar-title, recorded around the same time... ...Much like how a "Mrs. Robinson" which I heard as an instrumental was not Wes Montgomery, around my seeing his album on the A&M Inner-Sleeve with the then-four released A&M/CTi LP's and a partially-filled song list (after my discovery that HE played guitar) but it was actually Chet Atkins...!! :confused: :freak: :D

Benson's "Shape of Things ..." is an instrumental version of the title song from a mid-'60s film 'Wild in the Streets.' It's about a fictional nation governed by teenagers where everyone dies before they get old (30 that is).
JB

El P Jim said:
Benson's "Shape of Things ..." is an instrumental version of the title song from a mid-'60s film 'Wild in the Streets.' It's about a fictional nation governed by teenagers where everyone dies before they get old. (30, that is!)
JB

Yes, I had that '45' one time--by MAX FROST AND THE TROOPERS...!; forgot what was on the B-Side... And it SOUNDS very much like The Yardbirds, too!

Dave

...(And)...Nothing can change the shape of things, Nothing can change the shape of things, ...Nothing can change the shape of things...TO COME!!!... :D

Man, I wish I'd known this at the time!
Just learned today that Scotty Moore, Elvis' original guitarist, was in the audience at the Yardbirds' Nashville show.
(Moore was replaced by A&M solo artist James Burton)
Quite a compliment for the Yardbirds ... and sort of compensates for the small audience.
JB

www.scottymoore.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom