• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

You’ll Love Me - versions?

tomswift2002

Okay, I was just looking at the booklet for “The Essential Collection”, and I noticed that Richard wrote ‘This version of “You’ll Love Me,” recorded in May of 1967, is one of the nine.’ The nine referring to the United Audio recordings.

Now then, how many versions of You’ll Love Me did the Carpenters record? I only know of this one from “From The Top/Essential Collection”. Did they record a second version after they were signed to A&M? Is there a letter recording still in the vaults?

Okay, I was just looking at the booklet for “The Essential Collection”, and I noticed that Richard wrote ‘This version of “You’ll Love Me,” recorded in May of 1967, is one of the nine.’ The nine referring to the United Audio recordings.

Now then, how many versions of You’ll Love Me did the Carpenters record? I only know of this one from “From The Top/Essential Collection”. Did they record a second version after they were signed to A&M? Is there a letter recording still in the vaults?

My understanding is that only one recording was made of the song -- that being the B side on the Magic Lamp single recorded at Joe Osborn's. There were several sides cut during their time there, and I believe this is what Richard was referring to in the liner notes. I'll review them a little later and ask Richard if there is still a question. :)

Both of the CDs of "You'll Love Me" (on ESSENTIAL / FROM THE TOP) are essentially monaural recordings. During the mixing/mastering process for the box sets, someone added a touch of stereo reverb to the recording. I don't think that was done for the Magic Lamp original.

My understanding is that only one recording was made of the song -- that being the B side on the Magic Lamp single recorded at Joe Osborn's. There were several sides cut during their time there, and I believe this is what Richard was referring to in the liner notes. I'll review them a little later and ask Richard if there is still a question. :)
The way Richard phrases it, he’s referring to “You’ll Love Me” specifically, just like there two versions of “All I Can Do”.

I've always really had an affinity for this song. It would be so amazing to hear if there are indeed other versions of it. I'm not sure if such a day will ever exist.

I agree! ‘You’ll Love Me’ is a great song (very well recorded) and it gives us a glimpse of what Karen and Richard would have sounded if they’d hit the scene in the mid ‘60s. Obviously, they’d kick butt in any decade.

The way Richard phrases it, he’s referring to “You’ll Love Me” specifically, just like there two versions of “All I Can Do”.

I totally goofed Tom! When I read your original thread, I was singing I'll Be Yours in my head, as the lyric "you love me" precedes the title lyric. I'll Be Yours was the B side to Looking For Love.

You're absolutely correct that You'll Love Me was in fact recorded at United Audio as part of a package of tunes.

I totally goofed Tom! When I read your original thread, I was singing I'll Be Yours in my head, as the lyric "you love me" precedes the title lyric. I'll Be Yours was the B side to Looking For Love.

You're absolutely correct that You'll Love Me was in fact recorded at United Audio as part of a package of tunes.
So I guess in this case Richard probably has the original masters for “You’ll Love Me”, unlike “I’ll Be Yours” where the masters were destroyed?

But is the United Audio version the only version that they recorded? Or did they re-record “You’ll Love Me” for, say, the “A Song For You” album, in which case there’s a later A&M version still in the vault (even if now there’s only a digital copy).

So I guess in this case Richard probably has the original masters for “You’ll Love Me”, unlike “I’ll Be Yours” where the masters were destroyed?

But is the United Audio version the only version that they recorded? Or did they re-record “You’ll Love Me” for, say, the “A Song For You” album, in which case there’s a later A&M version still in the vault (even if now there’s only a digital copy).

I'm pretty certain it was never recorded after they became "Carpenters." He's most likely referring to a living room version, or possibly an earlier version recorded at Joe's. I can ask if I remember the next time I see him.

I always read that as "this version" being this particular arrangement of the song. As an early Richard Carpenter original, the song may have evolved over time with Richard toying with different arrangements and maybe even lyrics. That's all part of the creative process and the song may have gone through very significant changes before they ever reached a studio. When they were finally able to actually put it to tape, "this version" (meaning the latest) was the one they recorded. I never read that as there being more than one recorded version. Again, that's just my interpretation.

There’s every chance they recorded an earlier version, possibly at home, but this one was superior audio quality and a better recording.

What really blows my mind is there are EIGHT other songs recorded that day at United Audio in pristine audio quality that still sit on a shelf somewhere. I'm assuming it's mostly stuff that was re-recorded for 'Offering'. But I'd give anything to hear those tracks.

What really blows my mind is there are EIGHT other songs recorded that day at United Audio in pristine audio quality that still sit on a shelf somewhere. I'm assuming it's mostly stuff that was re-recorded for 'Offering'. But I'd give anything to hear those tracks.

Yeah I’ve always wondered why more of them weren’t released on either of the box sets. If they’re the same quality as this track, it’s criminal they should be left on the shelf. They must be incredible period pieces. Has a definitive list of the other eight tracks ever been made available?

I'm assuming it's mostly stuff that was re-recorded for 'Offering'.

That's the thing. I would imagine - I don't know for sure - that these other recordings were ones later polished up for release on OFFERING. We know that Richard - and Karen - were perfectionists, so it makes sense to me that these early versions are just that - early - and not yet perfect - versions of songs they later got right.

And lets not forget that there are a bunch of demo versions of early songs on the box sets. In fact, even though seven songs from OFFERING appear on the box sets, no actual track from the album, as released, is actually on either box set.

Good observation! I’d never thought of that before. I wish Richard would re-think what he deems as ‘releasable’. These tracks deserve to be heard in all of their ‘raw’ glory for historical reasons (let alone the pure joy of hearing them).

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve always wondered why more of them weren’t released on either of the box sets. If they’re the same quality as this track, it’s criminal they should be left on the shelf. They must be incredible period pieces. Has a definitive list of the other eight tracks ever been made available?

I don’t think so, Stephen. At least not yet, anyway. That would be a great question for Chris May to ask Richard, though. :)

Back
Top Bottom