• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: "OFFERING" (SP-4205)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 5 21.7%

Votes: 10 43.5%

Votes: 6 26.1%

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
“OFFERING”/”TICKET TO RIDE”
sp4205alt.jpg
sp4205.jpg

Catalogue Number: A&M SP-4205
Date of Release: 10/09/69
Chart Position- U.S.: #150; U.K.: #20; JAPAN: #88
Album Singles: “Ticket To Ride”/”Your Wonderful Parade”
Medium: Reel/Vinyl/8-track/Cassette/CD
Track Listing:

1.) Invocation 1:00 (Carpenter/Bettis)
2.) Your Wonderful Parade 2:57 (Carpenter/Bettis)
3.) Someday 5:13 (Carpenter/Bettis)
4.) Get Together 2:32 (Chet Powers)
5.) All Of My Life 3:00 (Richard Carpenter)
6.) Turn Away 3:09 (Carpenter/Bettis)
7.) Ticket To Ride 4:10 (Lennon/McCartney)
8.) Don’t Be Afraid 2:05 (Richard Carpenter)
9.) What’s The Use 2:43 (Carpenter/Bettis)
10.) All I Can Do 1:42 (Carpenter/Bettis)
11.) Eve 2:51 (Carpenter/Bettis)
12.) Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing 4:15 (Neil Young)
13.) Benediction :40 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Album Credits:

Produced by Jack Daugherty
Recorded at A&M Studios—Los Angeles, CA
Engineer: Ray Gerhardt
Vocals: Richard and Karen Carpenter
Drums: Karen Carpenter
Keyboards: Richard Carpenter
Bass: Joe Osborn, Bob Messenger and Karen Carpenter
Guitar: Gary Sims
Shaker: Herb Alpert

Art Direction: Tom Wilkes
Photography: Jim McCrary

Liner Notes:

“Music is simple magic. A rhythm, a melody, a dash of words...presto. It's medicine for the soul, food for love, the essence of divinity, a reason for being. It can soar through an infinite range of ups and downs, strike a million dissonant chords, and topple the strongest resistance. But for all its travels, however wide, however deep, it never forgets to make its simple offering. Enclosed, neatly tucked between the confines of this cardboard jacket, is one of the most beautiful gifts two people can offer. The vocal sound is a product of Richard and Karen Carpenter. In addition to the vocals Karen (age 19) plays drums on all the selections and on two of the offerings she plays electric bass. Her brother, Richard, sings, plays the keyboard instruments, composed ten of the songs, and arranged all of them.”

It is with pleasure A&M Presents: CARPENTERS

- Herb Alpert
=====================================================================
NOTE: This thread is dedicated to the authenticity of Carpenters music through their albums. All posts regarding any information you may have related to this release is welcome. We do ask however that the information be as accurate as possible and that the discussion here remain about the album being featured. -Chris

Were there any changes made to music or vocals on "Offering" before it was repackaged and released as Ticket to Ride?

Were there any changes made to music or vocals on "Offering" before it was repackaged and released as Ticket to Ride?

Absolutely none that I've ever been aware of -- I've owned both LPs, the "Ticket" cassette, and quite a few CD copies of both and have never heard anything whatsoever.

No changes at all. Even the catalog number remained the same, so the record stampers could continue to be used with the new labels and jacket.

I was fortunate to have a sister who found OFFERING as a Christmas gift in 1970 after CLOSE TO YOU was a hit and before TICKET TO RIDE became commonly available. The album knocked me over with its nearly total inclusion of Richard Carpenter tunes. I really liked the way the duo alternated lead vocals and had more of a "group" sound.

Harry

I was fortunate to have a sister who found OFFERING as a Christmas gift in 1970 after CLOSE TO YOU was a hit and before TICKET TO RIDE became commonly available. The album knocked me over with its nearly total inclusion of Richard Carpenter tunes. I really liked the way the duo alternated lead vocals and had more of a "group" sound.

Harry

How cool that you had that from the beginning. I "ordered" my copy of TICKET TO RIDE in February 1984 for $9.49 (have it written on the dusk jacket)....called my local WalMart store and the electronics dept. ordered it for me. I purchased my copy of OFFERING on ebay a few years back for about $60. Although it is not my favorite album, it is sort of interesting to think about what Carpenters might have done if they stayed with that "harder" sound that wasn't so "perfect" (although that is what I really love about them)
Jonathan

I think it contains some of their best stuff. "Eve," "Ticket," "All of My Life" and "Someday" are favorite tracks -- but for me it's better as a full-album listen.

I remember seeing the album in a store when it first came out. I'm kind of surprised that I didn't buy it just based on the Herb Alpert name in the liner notes -- but I didn't become a fan until "Close to You" was a hit so I heard this album later. I do like the original cover better than the reissue, but I only have the "Ticket" version!

I think it contains some of their best stuff. "Eve," "Ticket," "All of My Life" and "Someday" are favorite tracks -- but for me it's better as a full-album listen.

You know, it's interesting--All four of these tunes either got an additional recording/remix, or in the case of "Someday", were re-cut altogether. I think it's proof that even though Carpenters were in their infancy as a unit so-to-speak, they really had a majority of their sound in tact by the time they recorded this album.

-Chris

I do like the original cover better than the reissue, but I only have the "Ticket" version!

Although I have to say that the "Ticket" cover looks more like siblings together than some of the other covers and publicity photos that were used by the record company...that look more "couple-ish"

I also have the UK TICKET TO RIDE album with the pink flowers and We've Only Just Begun/Close to You bookends......that is a weird album....
jonathan

I was also a TTR late bloomer! I had just purchased the Tan album, and snuck out of an afternoon church service to visit a record store just around the corner. Going through the Carpenters bin I was astonished to find Ticket To Ride - had no idea it existed; always thought CTY was the 1st album. I didn't have the money on me, and my allowance wasn't due for 2 more weeks, so I did what any normal kid would do - hid it! There was only 1 copy available and IT WAS ALL MINE! I can't recall where I placed it, probably in another artist bin, but I went back the following week to make sure it was still there, hid it in a new place and on week 3 purchased it!

After the first listen I recall being impressed by the 'harder' sound - that was still somewhat evident in CTY but seemed to disappear completely with the 3rd album. TTR, Eve and All Of My Life are some of my all time Carpenters favorites, but I was never a fan of Someday until Karen re-recorded it - still wish she'd done a full version.

I also recall being quite impressed by Invocation and Benediction. Up to that point I had only heard vague references to overdubbing (how it was accomplished) but knew they performed all of the vocals!

Years later, I think 1989 or so, a friend gave me his copy of Offering - a decision he almost immediately regretted, and told me so on several ocassions - guess he was hinting I should give it back. I didn't! :) I like both album covers equally - Offering has a very 'hippie' appeal; and TTR is all California!!

I agree the Offering cover looks more "couple-ish." Richard's dislike of their cover photos is pretty well known....I'll bet it started with that cover! But, I don't know how you photograph a man and woman with the idea of making them look like a brother and sister.

I agree the Offering cover looks more "couple-ish." Richard's dislike of their cover photos is pretty well known....I'll bet it started with that cover! But, I don't know how you photograph a man and woman with the idea of making them look like a brother and sister.

well....you definitely don't pose them like they are in the tan album photo..haha
The Horizon photo doesn't make them look like a couple, in my opinion....they were always so "posed" almost like engagement pictures. The relaxed "unposed" photos are so much better.
Jonathan

but I was never a fan of Someday until Karen re-recorded it - still wish she'd done a full version.

Would have loved to have the full version redone....would have sounded great and she probably could have put more emotion from life experience into the song...
jonathan

I find it hard to rate this album. It was never really one of my favorites, until I bought the original Offering LP of which I own an original and a white label promo, both were rather pricey on ebay at the time. Then when the 2003 Japan box set came out and saw the replica, it made it seem more special to me. I still prefer Karen's later voice to the earlier one but I still love listening to her early voice.

When Karen re-did her vocals for "Someday" it just blew the original version away. I wish there was the entire recording of that from MMM. I can't imagine she only did a portion of the song, could it have been on a master that has been misplaced, this has happened in the past or maybe Richard doesn't remember at this point. If it could be discovered, wow, it would be an incredible find.

I really like Richard's vocals on, Turn Away, What's the Use and Clancy. This album really showcases both of their work vocally really well. It's weird to play this album and then right away play MIA, Karen sounds so different, almost like a different singer and then Richard no longer having lead tracks. I often wonder why Richard stopped having any lead tracks on future albums, they became less and less.

I find it hard to rate this album. It was never really one of my favorites, until I bought the original Offering LP of which I own an original and a white label promo, both were rather pricey on ebay at the time. Then when the 2003 Japan box set came out and saw the replica, it made it seem more special to me. I still prefer Karen's later voice to the earlier one but I still love listening to her early voice.

Once I discovered this album back in 1970, it was an instant favorite and remains a desert-island record for me.

When Karen re-did her vocals for "Someday" it just blew the original version away. I wish there was the entire recording of that from MMM. I can't imagine she only did a portion of the song, could it have been on a master that has been misplaced, this has happened in the past or maybe Richard doesn't remember at this point. If it could be discovered, wow, it would be an incredible find.

Now I look at it from a production standpoint. The song, as performed on the MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC special was only the shortened version of it, as it needed to fit in the allotted time of the network broadcast. They simply didn't have time to do the whole song. So Karen pre-recorded her part of the song that she would lip-sync at the actual show-taping - just like she did with the Ella Fitzgerald medley. So I don't think there are other verses or extended versions of the "Someday" re-do - just what exists for the TV show and the "1980 Medley" as presented on both FROM THE TOP and ESSENTIAL COLLECTION. I wish it were otherwise. "Someday" is one of my favorites from the album.

I really like Richard's vocals on, Turn Away, What's the Use and Clancy. This album really showcases both of their work vocally really well. It's weird to play this album and then right away play MIA, Karen sounds so different, almost like a different singer and then Richard no longer having lead tracks. I often wonder why Richard stopped having any lead tracks on future albums, they became less and less.

Richard began to limit his leads almost right away. On CLOSE TO YOU he only has a couple of songs with his lead and a few others are more of a "group" effort. Then his leads shrink further as time goes on. It was a marketplace decision I suppose. Richard wasn't the break-out star. His vocals, while pleasant, are a pale shadow of Karen's talent in that area.

I always enjoyed his vocals, right from the start on OFFERING, but the public at-large rejected them.

Harry

Richard has a nice voice, but it's very hard to compare ANY singer to Karen. She had a standout one of a kind knock out vocal style...one that made you listen to the lyrics and you could feel what she was singing. Just amazing.

It's a good start for Richard & Karen, but the original material, seems better than the covers... "Get Together" and "Nowadays, Clancy Can't Even Sing" seem weak & pale badly next to their "competitors" take on them, for the former, (Youngbloods, Andy Williams, Linda Ronstadt, We Five) while for the latter, it's just one that no one should have attempted after Buffalo Springfield launched their original unless it were kept in its country rock confinement that someone like The Dillards or Poco would have done...

Well, maybe I SHOULDN'T have said "covers"--"Ticket To Ride" is a gem! So, there is that 'notable exception'...

But, in all, it's easy to see why RCA would pass on these two, though "All I Can Do" must have been what could have put them over at the audition--that one seems to be a pretty heavy "offering" there...

A 'rough draft' paving the way for their breakthrough that Close To You would reveal in that there were more hits, better material, and the arrangements done more confidently, while the better recognition would spawn more Carpenters acolytes such as Sonic Youth, The Cranberries, The Corrs, White Stripes, Rumer, and countless others, many generations later...

-- Dave

I think had Karen lived, we would have seen alot more of the older songs being re-cut with fresh vocals from Karen. We get a taste of some of that from Karen and Richard when they re-cut her vocals on the song Ticket to Ride, then in she re-cut her vocals on Someday. We know she did the same for Merry Christms Darling and Top of the World.

Not only do I miss her for all the new material she will never sing, I miss all the older songs she could have made sound better. The older material will always be here, such as Offering/Ticket to Ride but when Karen recut her vocals for Ticket to Ride it just made it perfect in my opinion, I get that same feeling with the small re-cut she did with Someday just perfect.

"Ticket/Offering" is probably my third most-played of the original Carpenters' releases. That's probably in part because cuts from the subsequent albums turn up repeatedly in the various anthologies, but I still consider Side A of "Offering" to be one of the most consistent sides on any of their LPs. I never feel compelled to skip a track through the first half of this album.

Considering that they didn't have the studio experience or budget on "Offering" that they did for later releases, it's a pretty impressive effort. There are obviously sounds on this one that you just don't get with any other Carpenters recording. The vocal arrangement on "Your Wonderful Parade" -- that's such a treat to hear. It's easily my favorite of any Richard lead and near-favorite cut on the record (though I prefer it without the circus barker intro, as heard on the "From the Top" demo).

"Someday" and "All of My Life" would have been right at home on any of their first few albums. Listen to the remix of "All of My Life" on "From the Top"... Karen's vocal didn't need re-recording to make it sound like the Carpenters at their peak. That light, shimmering guitar solo is gorgeous, and you never hear anything like that on a Carpenters record again.

I have mixed feelings about the re-recording subject. Offhand I can't think of any other act that was so interested in "perfecting" what had already been released. "Offering" represented the first step in their major-label career, and it's a fine debut that showcases two kids getting their first crack at some sophisticated recording technology and having a blast with it.

I noticed Chris put in that this album charted in at #20 in the UK but the US came in at #150, that is a huge difference in the chart business. I wonder what made Offering/Ticket chart so well in the UK?

I noticed Chris put in that this album charted in at #20 in the UK but the US came in at #150, that is a huge difference in the chart business. I wonder what made Offering/Ticket chart so well in the UK?

The UK has always gravitated toward "good" music and enthusiastically embraced it. Look at ABBA - The Corrs - Rumer. All do well in the UK. What can I say? They have taste!

Probably the main reason that Carpenters first album went so high on the UK charts is the Beatles influence with "Ticket To Ride." The Brits are rightfully proud of their Beatles and would appreciate Richard's excellent arrangement of the tune.

Harry

Owed to their success, in the US and abroad, one thing's for sure: the Ticket To Ride cover had probably gone from being an expense to make (having to go way out on the water, in that boat) to K & R probably being able to afford their own yacht...

-- Dave

It's a very good album. I love listening to it.
btw I really like Harry's theory about the reasons why it got so popular in uk and you might be right that people from uk have the best taste in music :wink: I also thought I might order CD with the pink flowers delivered tomorrow, because I think it looks good in my collection!

Never cared much for this album. "All of My Life" is the standout track for me. But the next one ("Close to You") remained my favorite up until "Horizon". In my opinion, not even that little red album could compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom