• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: "OFFERING" (SP-4205)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 5 21.7%

Votes: 10 43.5%

Votes: 6 26.1%

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the album "Ticket To Ride" in 1973, and I'm pretty sure that's when A&M decided to repackage "Offering" and offer it to the UK as "Ticket To Ride". This would explain why it did so well in the UK, 1973 was a great year for K&R in the UK, and were riding high on the success of "Singles 1969-1973", clever move by A&M.

Did "Offering"/"Ticket to Ride" chart at #20 when it was repackaged in 1970? Or did it chart that high when it came out with that weird cover and label in the late '70's with "Close to You" and "We've Only Just Begun" tacked on at the beginning and end?

I bought the album "Ticket To Ride" in 1973, and I'm pretty sure that's when A&M decided to repackage "Offering" and offer it to the UK as "Ticket To Ride". This would explain why it did so well in the UK, 1973 was a great year for K&R in the UK, and were riding high on the success of "Singles 1969-1973", clever move by A&M.
Chris:
You could be right about that one. Just read your post.

If there are/were any sort of religious connotations about this group, at least based on what any one thought of the Offering cover when the Carpenters were new at the time, or got any such impressions, then it should be known that a Gospel group, The Imperials actually covered "Invocation"...

I found it on an anthology 2 record set, Imperials 1968-1972...

-- Dave

I always thought 'Offering' had some religious overtones. It opened with Invocation (which could be interpreted as a song with either God or "Music" as the singer), then Get Together had Christian connotations (when the one who left us here returns for us as last = 2nd coming), and finally, Benediction, which is how many churches close their services (with a benediction either in song or via a prayer).

I must admit that I absolutely adore this album. So much so, that I actually wrote an article about the creation of this album. I hope some of you might enjoy reading it: http://bit.ly/PfcBq0

Peter

Great blog, Peter. Thanks for posting the link. OFFERING remains one of my top favorite Carpenters albums.

Harry

Thanks A&M Retro. And thank YOU Harry for the fabulous new Carpenters Recording Resource.

We will find a good place to link your article in the Resource. We are going to be discussing the best way to list them, and will add a new section so we can compile all these great articles and posts out there on the 'net. :thumbsup:

My first experience with ttr was thanks to my mother who purchased ticket to ride sometime in the early70s and that sound stayed with me i agree someday would have been better had it been redone in a more complete way but lets be thankful that we have what we have i thought the album as a whole was excellent not one bad song in it i especially like don't be afraid all my life and what's the use as well as herb alpert's liner notes all in all the two titles offering or ticket to ride isnt what matters to me the songs are the same and still excelllent even on cd today its all about the music in my opinion. A great debut album indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom