• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

35th Ann.B set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I've forgotten how many 35th Anniversary Boxsets were issued out of Japan. I scanned the archives for this info to no avail. So here's another thing. I'd be curious once again what number in the series some of you have? I'm with #526.

Resurrecting,

Jeff

Jeff, what do you think of the box set? I'd like to hear what you think of the packaging & the mini-lp style sleeves & how the Cd's sound to you.

...who just dropped off his Karen Solo poster & 35th Anniv poster at his local frame shop & praying they take extra care with them till I get them back, online...

With having four sets of the entire catalog, this box set was pure indulgence. When I put the set near the quadruplets for a moment I
thought What the ****? This question soon relented as I began to visualize a few rows of SACD's. Until I can afford a Magic Lamp Single this will prove to be the most expensive member of my collection. Next in line is my near-mint copy of the OFFERING lp. The box set traveled three days from Japan. The sender had exercised a long suffering patience as the purchase date was shuffled around...alot. I am deeply grateful for the kind consideration. Before commencing to open I washed the oils from my fingers. At first view I found the packaging amazing. Inspecting the cd's themselves was like a blast from the past. Dates, times and places swirled through my head. The art reproduction was detailed and reminiscent. The individual flaps and folds were a welcomed sight. However, I didn't open any of these particular discs. Fearing evidence of wear. I naturally assumed that each disc would have been individually sealed. Had this been true I had no intention of opening them. As it stands I haven't removed one cd from its cloth sleeve, a very nice touch. Where I'm curious about the sound of these Japanese issues I doubt that I will ever reveal one for play. Upon re-reading past posts regarding the set I caught a line from Harry saying that he remains unconvinced that the sound is superior to its American counterparts. That statement alone satisfied me. Now Chris is you want to pop over to the West Coast with your set I'd be happy to hear these recordings.

I went to a very well established frame shop here in Portland and quized them about an upgrade to a few posters. It turns out that these upgrades would cost $180.00 each. It was clear that karen would have to enjoy her established home...for awhile. My friend at our national record chain store didn't compliment me with a 35th ann. poster. In fact I had no knowledge of such. I'm glad Chris is expanding his collection. Mr. C would you post a pic when all is said and done?

Five a.m. and off to earn a living to sustain my habit. 90* today, which in the N.W. is scalding,

Jeff

djn said:
However, I didn't open any of these particular discs. Fearing evidence of wear. I naturally assumed that each disc would have been individually sealed. Had this been true I had no intention of opening them. As it stands I haven't removed one cd from its cloth sleeve, a very nice touch.

I can't imagine spending all that money on something that you want, and then not opening it to enjoy it. For me, the joy of seeing the accurate reproductions of the innersleeves and the label artwork was half of the fun.

While I can understand the collector mentality of wanting to keep things pristine, I myself have trouble doing that. My personal goals do not include selling my "prizes" to anyone else - they're here for ME to enjoy. I don't want to be viewed as just the caretaker to someone else's "collection."

But that's just me - as I said, I can certainly understand the views of those who do collect things to keep in perfect condition. And true enough, the sound on these particular CDs are IMHO no different from your garden variety Remastered Classics re-issue.

Harry
...collecting for his own enjoyment, online...

When I got "By Request" from Japan a few days ago, I amazed at how well it was mastered. I wish the box set CD's sounded as good as this one. Not that the box set cds are not good, they just didn't pop out at me like I thought they would have for the money I spent. Still am really glad I bought it and will be even happier to know I have it when they are out of print & then prices are $400 or $500. :shock:

...who saved his Japan sticker & placed it back into the box, online...

As I know each nuance of the enchanting music. As I've collected many copies of each l.p., numerous copies of each and every 45, multiple cd sets and numerous compilations I am very familiar with each release. My collector's mentality allows me to preserve and protect special items as though gem stones. Never to be mishandled or taken for granted. I experience the ultimate joy in the glistening newness of each acquisition. I've been this way regarding memorabilia back 34 years to the age of seven. This behavior has provided me with a flawless bank of dear and precious keepsakes. I take pride in the nurturing of same. I know that you understand, it just felt good to say it.

Anal as always,

Jeff

Webster's dictionary:

of, relating to, or characterized by personality traits ( as parsimony, meticulousness, and ill humor)

Hence my incessant need to hover over my CarpenterS memorabilia.

Providing clarification,

Jeff

In liner notes I was surprised/moved by the way Richard acknowledged Christmas Portrait as Karen's album. I don't often hear him express those types of sentiments. Many times it seems over the last few years there has been an emphasis placed on Pianist, Arranger...True as it may be. Skill, brilliance and the like. Still I have to admit that I consider every album Karen's album. I mean after all, there were alot of producer's buzzin' around. The voice was destined to capture the world one way or another.

Admission of sentimental fave...duh,

Jeff

I noticed that too Jeff and wondered why he considered that Karen's album. I guess cause she was so fond of Christmas music maybe? I imagine they both worked really hard on that album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom