• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

45 RPM Box Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I've been seeing this regularly on eBay for a few months now, and have wondered about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2265&item=934516475

This doesn't look like any kind of standard A&M release, yet week after week, there seems to be another copy of this "set."

Is it a home-packaged deal? The songs seem to be the same, which would indicate that the seller has scads of copies of all of these 45s.

Or is it some kind of juke-box packaging service?

Anyone buy one? Anyone know?

Harry
...curious, but not enough to splurge yet, online...

Harry said:
I've been seeing this regularly on eBay for a few months now, and have wondered about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2265&item=934516475

This doesn't look like any kind of standard A&M release, yet week after week, there seems to be another copy of this "set."

I've also wondered about it. From what I figure, the 2 tracks not listed are "1980" and "Making Love In The Rain". I've been tempted a few times to go for it, but it doesn't look like a label release at all. It's got to be a homemade job. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this one.

Capt. Bacardi

Certainly looks legit...but like you say, I'll let someone else find out for us. Not too badly priced at $15, if it sticks.

I know Tim Neely buys new 45s regularly. I wonder if these have turned up in his travels anywhere.

Harry,I've been looking at that for a while,too. It's gotta be a jukebox guy. He has lots of other boxes with some fairly now-obscure acts(Young Rascals,Ricky Van Shelton)who put out more than a few singles in their time. He also lists some individual 45s that are quite common and still in manufacture for $3.50 + $2.50 freight-pretty pricy,IMHO.Strange,the 5th Dimension box has an odd number(17) of songs-maybe a mono/stereo item in there. Collectables put things out like this a few years ago-Madonna,Prince, and Elvis were a few that I remember. Collectables art work was so cheesy(xerox sheet on cover) that the limited artwork on these boxes seems OK in comparison. Eight 45s for about $2.50 per piece(with freight) with no picture sleeves and nothing really hard to find-it's no bargain,but no big rip off here. Mac

I'm relatively new here to this site, and what little I've posted so far has been in the Sergio Mendes and Brazil'66 forum, but I do have a question on one of my favorite Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass tunes. Does "El Presidente" exist in CD format yet ? I wasn't been able to find it the last time I looked. It is one of my favorite Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass tunes, but all I have are several scratchy versions courtesy of my nearby Salvation Army.

Either that, or a surefire suggestion of how to clean old vinyl ?

Frank[/u]

"El Presidente" was from South Of The Border, which had a brief CD reissue in the late 80's. Unfortunately, they cost a small mint on eBay. (I've seen a copy sell for over $300!) If you don't mind waiting, there are some rumors that the TJB catalog is undergoing restoration for a new reissue of the albums.

Around Detroit, this album on vinyl isn't quite as plentiful as Whipped Cream, Going Places or S.R.O., but I didn't have trouble finding it when I bought a better LP copy back in the early 80's. Maybe GEMM would turn up a copy...? I just hate to see anyone spend a lot of bucks for something on eBay that very well could see a better reissue in the near future.

What these seem to be to me is a home-made packaging of various 45, both reissue and original, that someone probably had in a warehouse. The reason an odd number of songs shows up is because in some cases, the same version of the same song appears on two different records. Those artists I know well, I can match up A sides and B sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom