60's Sound Quality and Brazil 66's Live Performance

Mike Smith

With the recent passing of Astrud Gilberto, many have noted the incredible sound quality of a televised performance in the 1960's: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DCaxN6TfH4

With the posting of "Herb Alpert Is..." on YouTube, I noted the two excerpts of the Brazil '66 performance beginning at 1:03:39. Again, this is not in studio but rather a live performance. See:

While I certainly would agree that Astrud and Lani were/are far better vocal talents than, say, Taylor Swift, I'm just amazed at the sound fidelity. Could it be the analog sound equipment of the 60's produces better sound than the digital equipment of today?

P.S. I wish Sergio would release the full performance and any other live material they have.

Reactions: lj
Mike--Thanks a million for posting this video. It is the first time I saw the entire video and was very impressed. It was very cool and a real rarity to actually see Brasil 66 perform live in concert, as they sang "Berimbau." Yes, to see their full concert would be awesome. Other rarities were the musical snippets of the TJB also performing live. Even got to hear my favorite--"Zorba the Greek." John Pisano's guitar did a terrific job in copying the sound of a Greek bazouki. It makes me want to go out and buy the DVD, which is still for sale via the internet.

Seeing the Brasil 66 snippet of "Berimbau" on the "Herb Alpert Is" video, makes me realize that this is the one and only appearance we have of Bibi Vogel with Brasil 66 on YouTube. I like the way the Ed Sullivan estate has been releasing select music videos onto YouTube from its long list of shows. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the owner of the "Berimbau" selection release the song's entire performance onto YouTube. It would only be fitting and have a lot of meaning in that it's from the very earliest days of Brasil 66. Of course, seeing their entire concert on YouTube would be a dream come true.

The Brasil 66 segment with their live performance from the Herb Alpert Is documentary was just uploaded. Only a little over 4 minutes, but concise and splendid.

Back
Top Bottom