"A Christmas Portrat"...original 1/2 inch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I have been reading all the posts in regards to the fact that Richard could not release "Christmas Portrait" due to the fact that the tape was destroyed. I have a tendency to believe him, only because on my CD copy of the German release, particularly in "Ave Maria", I have noticed that the right channel drops out a couple of times throughout the song. It's not as audible when listening through monitors, however in a headset it is obivious (at least to my ear) that the master had some damage to it. I am certain it is not the CD itself (reference approx. 1:46 on disc..."Sancta Maria...Ora Pro Nobis..."). I have always wondered about this. I think this pretty much explains it. Considering the fact that the German release came out only a few years following the 1978 release and was flawed, it makes sense that by now the 1/2" master would not be salvageable.

I have also noticed particularly on "First Snowfall/Let it Snow" that Richard did not mix in Karen's vocal doubles on the remixed version contrary to the original release. Interesting.... -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom