• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M artists-turned-actors on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I've been meaning to mention this and keep forgetting. Two former A&M recording artists have shown up recently on network TV series.

First, Scott Grimes, the former kid-who-recorded-with-Richard Carpenter, has been playing in a recurring role on E.R. as one of the young docs-in-training. He's the wimpy one with the reddish hair and moustache.

Second, a few weeks ago, Maria Conchita Alonso had a feature role in an episode of CSI: MIAMI. She played a Cuban exile - not too much of a stretch, since she IS a Cuban exile!

Harry
...picking out the A&M'ers on TV, online...

Nope, she was born in Cuba in 1957, and emigrated with her family to Venezuela when she was five years old, living there until moving to the USA in 1982.

Murray

Arturo Sandoval also fled Cuba...if I remember the story, he was on tour with one of the big bands and sought asylum here in the States...after he got the rest of his family out.

Yeah, I thought I remembered that she was originally from Cuba.

Murray, are you familiar with Maria's recordings? Her acting career? Or did you just look her up on the Internet?

Harry

Harry said:
Murray, are you familiar with Maria's recordings? Her acting career? Or did you just look her up on the Internet?

I've seen several of her movies, but I haven't heard any of her recordings. Did she sing exclusively in Spanish?

I saw an interview with her on TV awhile ago, in which she mentioned that she had been born in Cuba, and that she had been a former Miss Venezuela.

Murray

Yes, all of her albums are in Spanish (the AyM Discos albums at least), with a few phrases in English every now and then. The song she did with Herb Alpert, "Noche De Copas" was all Spanish on the record, but she sang an English-translated chorus when she and Herb performed it on a Superbowl© pre-show in Miami - probably a conscession to the largely English-speaking audience.

Her voice is an acquired taste, to be sure, but I enjoy her work. Two of her AyM Discos albums are actually out in current CD release, a greatest hits album, LO MEJOR DE MARIA CONCHITA ALONSO, and her last for the label, MIRAME. Both are budget-priced at around 7 bucks at amazon.com.

77818.jpg
484407.jpg

Scott Grimes efforts for the A&M label are perhaps thankfully out of print.

Harry
...on a sleepy Sunday morning, online...

Yes -noticed Scott Grimes in ER last week on UK Channel Four -acting in several top USA TV series recently.

Scott's album with Richard was fine -wondered if Scott still performs occasionally in LA Area :?:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom