• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

A&M errors & typos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew T.

I noticed the following line on the back cover of my copy of !!Going Places!! by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass:
"...This is to say, the Alpert instrumentation lends itself just as nicely to the music of Manhattan or Vienna as to the music of Mexcio (sic)."
I am aware that a certain trumpeter's name was spelled "Herb Albert" on the spine of the Tijuana Brass' Greatest Hits. What are some other egregious typos or errors that made their way to A&M packaging, TJB or otherwise?

Not necessarily typos, but some label credits have been interesting over the years. Like Eldon Allen (aka Dave Alpert) for "Acapulco 1922".

One copy of the "Without Her" 45 also has Herb listed as Herb Albert on the "Sandbox" flip side.

Then there's the story to Liza Minnelli's album misspelling her name as Lisa, prompting her to later release an album titled Liza With A Z.

There are others: Gracinha Leporace had her name misspelled as "Leporael" and Dori Caymmi's name shows up with some interesting spellings.

And let's not forget the most famous A&M misspelling that survives to this day: "Mais Que Nada". It should have always been "Mas".

Hari Harri Harry
...online...

On Lee Michaels' CARNIVAL OF LIFE (SP 4140) there's a credit for Jim "Mecina" (should be Messina).
JB

Harry said:
There are others: Gracinha Leporace had her name misspelled as "Leporael" and Dori Caymmi's name shows up with some interesting spellings.

Cammy was one of them, I think.

I still think it's funny how long we debated "MAS Que Nada" vs. "MAIS Que Nada"...when all that time I had other copies of the song by other artists that spelled it "MAS". That has to be the longest, most persistent typo I've ever seen for ANY artist.

On some copies of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass's 1969 single "Zazueira" (#1043), composer Jorge Ben's first name was misspelled "Jorqe." Incidentally, that error emanated from the same pressing plant (Columbia Records in Pitman, N.J.) which misspelled Mr. Alpert's surname as "Albert" on the "Sandbox" side of "Without Her" (#1065).

Not on the record itself, but on a jukebox title strip in my possession, the Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 single "Pretty World" (#1049) showed the group name as "Brazil '66." Mr. Mendes's surname was spelled correctly, though.

And of course, not necessarily a typo but rather in the mold of the "Eight Arms To Hold You" reference plastered on the label of The Beatles' original version of "Ticket To Ride": The blurb on Cat Stevens's "Moon Shadow" (AM-1265-S) which read, "(From the A&M Album SP-3506)." We all know the history of that number thereafter -- and of Mr. Stevens's aforementioned LP.

The "Brazil '66" spelling also appears on Lani Hall's Sun Down Lady - it even survived to the Japanese CD re-issue.

And Herb's "Mexican Road Race" is listed erroneously on the A&M Gold Series CD track listing as "Mexican Road Dance."

Harry
...memory jogged, online...

Another typo/error: On at least some copies of Joan Baez's single "In The Quiet Morning (For Janis Joplin)"/"To Bobby" (AM-1362), the production credits on the label start out thus: "For JOB Productions:" -- nothing wrong with that, except the aforementioned concern was spelled out on the picture sleeve as "JCB Productions."

And when Stealers Wheel's "Stuck In The Middle With You" (AM-1416) was released, the producer's credits were given as "Lieber-Stoller." Although this wasn't unique; Leiber's name was likewise misspelled on some other credits here and there over the years.

All I can think of that hasn't been mentioned here so far, is Wes Montgomery's DOWN HERE ON THE GROUND album. The spine of some LP covers has "Goin' On To Detroit" on it.

And wasn't there a Herb Alpert & TJB single, "Acapulco 1822"?, as opposed to "1922"?

Dave

And, who can forget the infamous credit given to "Gracinha Leporael" for her "Lapinha" solo on Sergio's Fool On The Hill album? :oops:

Jon

Harry said:
The "Brazil '66" spelling also appears on Lani Hall's Sun Down Lady - it even survived to the Japanese CD re-issue.

As an aside (although not A&M-related), a Kevyn Lettau album gives credit to "Lany Hall" for her lyrics to (I think) "To Say Goodbye".

Jon

Dave said:
...wasn't there a Herb Alpert & TJB single, "Acapulco 1822"?, as opposed to "1922"?

Actually it's done that way on the Collector's Choice Baja Marimba Band set. Relating to Acapulco 1922: I think the "Eldon Allen" credit may have been to reduce the number of "Alpert"s printed on the record since it was (for the time) an independent record. Kind of fits in with numbering it 703 instead of 001 as mentioned in some A&M histories...

--Mr Bill

And on initial pressings of the 1971 TJB single "Summertime" c/w "Hurt So Bad" (AM-1261-S), is this blurb: "(From the A&M album "Summertime" SP-3505)." Only thing was, the LP would be released as SP-4314 . . . and SP-3505 ended up being Bill Medley's A Song for You. Does anyone know if any later pressings of the Alpert 45 had the LP number changed from 3505 to 4314?

A noticeable error on some vinyls of Walter Wanderley's "When It Was Done" (1968) have his name spelled "Wanderly." Some track listings on some of the A&M/CTI releases also came out disorganized, and I think Tamba 4's "Samba Blim" (1968) also suffered that...

This one might borderline on being ridiculously observant. But I'll put it here nonetheless...

The title on Tamba 4's album "We and the Sea" is "Nos e o Mar" in Portuguese. On my LP and on the Verve By Request series reissue, it's spelled "Nos e ou Mar."

From my trace knowledge of this language, would the mistake not translate into "We and or the sea"? I wonder if Luiz Eca would've liked that! :)

When WE AND THE SEA was reissued on CD as an A&M Japan import, the group's name was listed as "Tanba 4."
JB

On the LP "Children Of Sanchez" from Chuck Mangione, when you look at the label on the LP, on Side 1, you'll notice a spelling error of the title song. The label on the record has it spelled "CHILDEN Of Sanchez : Overture"

The current-issue of the Carpenters tan album on CD (the REMASTERED CLASSIC version) has the album title misspelled on the disc face as CAREPENTERS.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom