• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M group "Seawind"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I live in Japan, and the majority of the CD’s in music stores have the title on the CD spine in Japanese. Since I’m mediocre at reading the language, to save time I visually scan the spines looking for the A&M logo. Doing this, I Inevitably always come across the group “Seawind” which I’m unfamiliar with. I’ve read that they’re a Jazz Fusion Band and appear to have an affiliation with Hawaii.

I’ve spent many a dollar (and yen) buying CD’s I’m unfamiliar with and it comes down to “win some, lose some”; more often “lose some”. So… before I cough up the money for “Seawind” do any of the cornerites have an opinion on the group? Do they have a similar sound to any other group?

Any feedback is appreciated.

They are quite good, actually.
I had several of their albums years ago- since lost in an out of state move.
Their lead voalistic is a woman with an amzing voice- her name escapes me now- maybe Pauline Wilson...

Mike said:
I’ve read that they’re a Jazz Fusion Band and appear to have an affiliation with Hawaii.

They were marketed as jazz, but there wasn't that much jazz in their music. But they were a pretty good group. I think they only recorded 2 albums for A&M. I have Light The Light, which had a small hit called "What 'Cha Gonna Do?". I recall them being from Hawaii originally as well. Trumpeter Jerry Hey became a top studio musician after this group dissolved. I wouldn't pay a lot of money for this album, but it's worth getting for a fair price.

Capt. Bacardi

I have their self-titled album on A&M, which has sort of a cloud/gull motif on the front of it. It's sort of an L.A. jazz sound--sort of a mix of pop, R&B with a few jazz touches to it. (The only station that played it in town was our jazz station.) I really liked it when it came out, but don't play it much today. Still is a good album, though.

I'd describe it as vocal club jazz with heavy R&B influence.

They indeed did two for A&M, and I have seen them at Tower and HMV in Yokohama. The first was on Horizon and the second cmae after A&M folded Horizon. Seawind is one of the few artists to survive the end of Horizon and move to A&M (the others being YMO and Brenda Russell).

sp734.jpg
sp4824.jpg

Personally I don't like 'em enough to plunk down the Japanese Yen they cost over here...

--Mr Bill

I have various albums on which The Seawind Horns, (Larry Williams, Jerry Hey and Kim Hutchcroft) have appeared! And "Courtesy of A&M Records". They could have fit in well on the Horizon label, though produced by its producer, Tommy LiPuma, would have sounded drastically overproduced. Or would definitely prompt a "return to A&M's affiliation", had they recorded on the CTi label! :tongue:

And NOT that Larry Williams, for those who might confuse his namesake with a certain Soul Singer (of "Bonie Maronie" fame). :winkgrin:

Dave

..."Jamie" and "Meet Me On The Dance Floor" by Debbie Boone on her Self-Titled LP, are my favorite songs featuring The Seawind Horns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom