A&M Jimmie Rodgers reissued

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Exciting news on the CD reissue front. Blind Records has reissued Jimmie Rodgers' CHILD OF CLAY (A&M SP 4130) and WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND (SP 4187) as a 2-for-1 disc. That's one I've wanted to see happen for a long time.
Being a completist, I'd like to see the non-LP singles and TROUBLED TIMES (SP 4242) reissued, but this is a healthy start.
JB

www.blindrecords.com/jimmy_rodgers5d.htm

LPJim said:
Exciting news on the CD reissue front. Blind Records has reissued Jimmie Rodgers' CHILD OF CLAY (A&M SP 4130) and WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND (SP 4187) as a 2-for-1 disc. That's one I've wanted to see happen for a long time.
Being a completist, I'd like to see the non-LP singles and TROUBLED TIMES (SP 4242) reissued, but this is a healthy start.
JB

www.blindrecords.com/jimmy_rodgers5d.htm

Thanks for sharing this info with us, "Jimmie"! :winkgrin: I would like to hold out for TROUBLED TIMES getting reissued, too, myself.

As for the singles, I have a red label Canadian copy of WHAT A STRANGE TOWN/CHILD OF CLAY (possibly reissued in the '80's :?: ), SHADOWS/I'LL SAY GOODBYE, TOMORROW IS MY FRIEND/CYCLES and FATHER PAUL (Without Her)/ME ABOUT YOU. Maybe he made one or two more...I'll have to check. :!:

I would think that there could still be some unreleased tracks and even some DEMO's left in the vault. :idea:

Dave

...Gioccho Adesso: Andy Williams B-SIDES & RARITIES, the companion to COMPLETE COLUMBIA SINGLES, which is a companion to his CD's Reissued as 'Two-Fer's' on Collectibles; also have foreign pressing of one album (also issued with another) different from its American Counterpart--includes two different songs not released in U.S.... :twitchy:

Thanks, LPJim. Good find.

It appears that the Child Of Clay/Windmills Of Your Mind two-fer is actually from Collectors' Choice. On that Blind Records page, in the picture, you can almost make out the Collectors' Choice logo.

Here's the artwork from the Collectors Choice page:

CCM04192.jpg

Link is here.

Harry
...who might need to get this one, online...

Hmmm...Collector's Choice, eh?...The guys who reissued Phil Ochs...! :)

Guess, someone figured it was time to reissue Jimmie Rodgers, too, eh? :idea:

Dave

...thinking I should put my order in at Blind Records...or start looking at the racks in the stores, then... :twitchy:

Just looking over the track list I see Jimmie covered "LA Breakdown" which I own as a single recorded by the song writer (and A&M staff producer) Larry Marks. Curious to hear Jimmie's take on it (I only own Child...)...

--Mr Bill

Larry Marks' version of "LA Breakdown" (with "Country Woman") is also in my collection (#969). Rodgers' version from SP 4187 is slower, with a rolling piano accompaniment.
JB

LPJim said:
Larry Marks' version of "LA Breakdown" (with "Country Woman") is also in my collection (#969).

Helen Reddy did a version of "L.A. Breakdown" similar to this one, and on an LP produced by Larry Marks, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LOVE HIM.

LPJim said:
Rodgers' version from SP 4187 is slower, with a rolling piano accompaniment.
JB

Jack Jones made a "cocktail lounge" version of "L.A. Breakdown", similar to Jimmie Rodgers' version, too.

Dave

...owner of All Of The Above! :laugh:

Dave said:
Jack Jones made a "cocktail lounge" version of "L.A. Breakdown", similar to Jimmie Rodgers' version, too.

That's the one I'm familiar with. I always liked that arrangement. I'll have to dig out that LP - it's around here somewhere.

Listening to Jimmie's tracks on our recent AOTW's have gotten me interested enough to seek out that Collector's Choice two-fer. Maybe I'll head there now.

Harry
...investigating, online...

Harry said:
Listening to Jimmie's tracks on our recent AOTW's have gotten me interested enough to seek out that Collector's Choice two-fer. Maybe I'll head there now.

Harry
...investigating, online...

Well, hopefully, someday we'll get this third outing on CD, too:
sp4242.jpg

I remember constantly playing TROUBLED TIMES in the used record store until I finally BOUGHT IT! That was shortly after I bought Jimmie's first two albums on vinyl (at another store after hearing "You Pass Me By" on FAMILY PORTRAIT), which I've still got all THREE of, plus FOUR non-LP singles. I would like to someday see all of Jimmie Rodgers' A&M work on CD, myself.

Dave

I wrote a note to Michael Rodgers (Son of Jimmie) yesterday regarding this reissue, heard back from him this morning saying that he has asked his dad to check in on the A&M Corner to see if we had heard about the CD. I hope he will do that, I personally would love to hear how he is doing and what he is doing at this time in his life. I know he performs at Branson, Missouri and according to his son he loves to play golf. I am excited about this reissue, just wish Herb would consider doing more of the same thing. Michael also mentioned some of his dads music is up for sale on eBAY.

Yes, I have had a few e-Mails with Michael Rodgers, too. Back when His Father's Albums, or at least "One of 'Em" were "Album Of The Week"!:cool:

He remembers a lot of what went on 'while sitting on the floor during his dad's recording sessions'. :laugh:

Glad he is aware of the reissue of some of "Papa's Work". :D

Dave

It's been a long time, but I also had an email from Michael a few years ago. Hope JR and family are having a good year.
Another label, Westside of England, has reissued some of Rodgers' earlier albums for Roulette from the late 50s. There's a 2-for-1 with SINGS FOLK SONGS + FOLK SONG WORLD (includes "English Country Garden") and more recently NUMBER ONE BALLADS + TV FAVORITES.
A Christmas album from that era also is available through Collector's Choice. I would also like to see TROUBLED TIMES (SP 4242) reissued.
JB

The two-fer of Jimmie Rodgers first two A&M albums, CHILD OF CLAY (A&M SP 4130) and WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND (SP 4187) arrived this week. I've been enjoying listening to these two fairly early A&M releases. There is a nice two-page set of liner notes written in August 2003 by Todd Everett, giving the story of Jimmie's tenure with A&M Records and some insight into how the songs were chosen. An interesting quote:

Todd Everett in the liner notes said:
Fondly remembered by Jimmie's fans, neither the Child Of Clay nor Windmills Of Your Mind album sold well; a subsequent, third A&M album (produced by Jimmy Bowen) is so obscure, Rodgers says he doesn't remember it at all.

Recommended to all A&M fans.

Harry
NP: Jimmie Rogers, Child Of Clay

Am still waiting for mine to arrive but I did receive the Jimmie Rodgers Christmas CD "It's Christmas once again" and it is very nice. Have listened to it twice.

Bowen also produced Rodgers' 1978 album, YESTERDAY & TODAY, issed on Scrimshaw label, a division of ABC. It's a 2-LP set with one containing previous Dot label recordings and the other new material.

For more information look at Ebay item # 2582736963.

JB

LPJim said:
Bowen also produced Rodgers' 1978 album, YESTERDAY & TODAY, issed on the Scrimshaw label, a division of ABC. It's a 2-LP set with one containing previous Dot label recordings and the other new material.

For more information look at Ebay item # 2582736963.

JB

Eh, why not go to GEMM--where there are plenty of copies of YESTERDAY & TODAY by Jimmie you won't get outbidded on!! Cheaper, Too! :!:

Dave :D

Thanks, Dave. Fortunately I've already got a copy of Y&T. It's worth having for the newer material, much of which (like SP 4242) was written by Rodgers himself. Since you're also an ABC label collector, you might be familiar with the Scrimshaw subsidiary (other artists???).

Recently I found a CD titled JIMMIE RODGERS' GREATEST HITS on SMS label of London, England (SMS 28). It contains 12 cuts from Y&T, 4 Dot label versions of familiar hits with the remainder being the newer tunes.
JB

Not too familiar with the other artists on Scrimshaw, other than Jimmie. Guess when I am able to financially, I'll see if I can order a copy of YESTERDAY AND TODAY, online. Unless I find a copy of it near me--could have sworn I saw one SOMEWHERE near me, YEARS AGO!!

Jimmie pretty much went where The Sandpipers went, after their careers on A&M ended. Pretty much why I only have both (My Favorite A&M Artists of All-Time) only on A&M--tried various Sandpipers "reunions" on other labels, too. :shake:

Finally got over to eBay to see JR's album. Well, we'll see... :agree:

Dave

Yesterday a nearby music outlet marked all Christmas albums off 25% and I picked up Jimmie Rodgers' IT'S CHRISTMAS ONCE AGAIN, along with the Kingston Trio's LAST MONTH OF THE YEAR.
Noticed the JR Christmas album was recorded with Joe Reisman's Orchestra. Reisman arranged Patti Page's "TN Waltz" and later worked with Henry Mancini.
The Rodgers' Christmas album originally came out on Roulette in 1959. Haven't seen the vinyl version in a long time.
JB

New Years day,
Finally had a chance to play my Jimmie Rodgers reissue and I loved it. He has such a beautiful voice and the songs took me way back to a happy time in my life. Say what you will about the 50s being a generation of "Do nothings" I think it was a quieter, gentler time and okay I admit it, we were more romantic then too. Not to say that I don't like some of todays music too, I do and there are some really talented people who have come along in the last few years. But all in all, the 50s and 60s were my favorite listening music time. Also received Jimmie Rodgers Christmas CD "It's Christmas Once Again" and liked it very much. And my Juan Oskar, and Dan Bolton CDs were nice surprises and a great way to end the year. Thanks Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom