A new member says hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

marblerabbit

Hi everyone -
Discovered this board while I should have been working :) great to see people who are passionate about and still enjoy the work of Herb & the Tijuana Brass. Like most people, it was through my parents that I discovered the TJB. I was around ten at the time and my first exposure was the Whipped Cream album. Looking at the chick on the cover (you mean girls look like THAT when they gow up?) and hearing those sunny sounds pour out of the hi-fi was an eye- and ear- opening experience. Suddenly, the boundaries of my world were pushed beyond Massachusetts to places like southern CA and sunny Mexico.

What really grabbed my interest, however, were Herb's arrangements. Whether clean and uncomplicated (Memories of Madrid, So What's New?) or complex and kinda murky (The Work Song, Flamingo), they taught me how to listen to music and how to listen for instruments in a band setting. Each new album my parents brought home was like an additional course in music 101, and I can honestly say I would never have learned bass and played in rock bands without those early TJB albums.

Even as I grew older and my musical tastes passed through bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, The Ramones, and various forms of folk and world music, I've always kept a tape around with Herb & the TJB somewhere in my listening rotation. Not only do those songs bring back fond memories of my early teen years, but they remind me that music well done and interestingly arranged always makes for good listening.

I'm glad this discussion board help keeps those sentiments alive. Oh, by the way, my favorite TJB tunes: Brasilia, Mexican Road Race, Memories of Madrid, Bud, the troika of For Carlos/Freight Train Joe, Flamingo.

Marblerabbit

Welcome to the corner. I enjoyed reading your post, seems most of you were introduced to TJB through your parents lps. My kids must have the same memories, I was closer to 30 when I first heard them and still love them all these years later.

Herb updated the "tone poem". There are vivid images in nearly all of his arrangements...the music conveys an idea or feeling, sometimes totally different than what the writer might have envisioned....case in point: LOVE POTION #9...I'm sure NOBODY ever thought of that tune as a stripper melody, but it sure fits, don't it? I can see Gypsy Rose Lee now, grinding away...

Seriously, I learned from Herb that a song can have more than one definitive version, more than one thing to say...and that every time he or she plays it, it's a chance to make it your own statement. And, you can make a lot of money seeing things that others miss...

:wink:
Dan

As another relatively new member, I advise you to keep you eye on this site - you can learn alot about the Brass.

Welcome to the Corner, Doug! Always glad to see a Herb fan. :cool:

marblerabbit said:
Oh, by the way, my favorite TJB tunes: Brasilia, Mexican Road Race, Memories of Madrid, Bud, the troika of For Carlos/Freight Train Joe, Flamingo.

And anyone who uses the word "troika" in his first post needs to be scrutinized! :D

Capt. Bacardi
...teasing 'em early online... :wink:

Main Entry: troi·ka
Pronunciation: 'troi-k&
Function: noun
Etymology: Russian troika, from troe three; akin to Old English thrIe three
Date: 1842
1 : a Russian vehicle drawn by three horses abreast; also : a team for such a vehicle
2 : a group of three; especially : an administrative or ruling body of three

Captain Bacardi said:
So you're saying he's a Russky, eh? :tongue:

Capt. Bacardi
...doing my Archie Bunker routine online...

Dunno, could be Franco-Russian, you know.... like in PARIS-troika? :tongue:

Welcome to the forum.

Dan

As someone who in my wild and crazy younger days would sometimes visit a strip joint, I can verify that all the strippers had "Love Potion #9", and "Swinger From Seville" in the act, but the one you always heard was "Night Train" by Buddy Morrow. Then, of course you had "The Stripper" by David Rose.

Since you are classed as a new member, as I am, maybe some of the others will let us know what it takes to graduate beyond new member status. Thanks

Clark said:
Since you are classed as a new member, as I am, maybe some of the others will let us know what it takes to graduate beyond new member status. Thanks

Just keep posting.
:)

Dan

Current rankings based on numbers of posts are:

Just Joined! Welcome! 1
New Member 2
Bronze Member 25
Silver Member 50
Gold Member 100
Platinum Member 200
Sapphire Member 300
Emerald Member 400
Ruby Member 500
Diamond Member 600

These are of course subject to change, but that's the way they were set up by our fearless leader.

Harry
...well beyond Diamond, online...

Welcome to the corner! This is a great place to contribute and learn about A&M acts like the TJB, Brasil '66, etc. It was, also, through my parents that I discovered the TJB. I remember the first album I heard was South of the Border and would play it day and night. It was hard choosing a favorite song off of that album, but I'd say that it's between "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" and "South of the Border". Herb's always created a unique sound for anything he records.

Again, welcome, and great to have you! :)

Joe, who hasn't even reached the "silver" level yet... that surprises me

Joe said:
Joe, who hasn't even reached the "silver" level yet... that surprises me

Five more posts, Joe, and you're silver!

--Mr Bill
heck, my "precious metal/gem status" doesn't even show because of my "special" status (but I'd guess I'd be a diamond member)

Welcome, Marblerabbit (love the pseudonym, by the way!) I have almost the same memories you do listening to Herb Alpert's music for the first time. Shame we can't relive some of those moments with remastered CDs, but that's another thread. :D

Welcome, and I think you'll enjoy the topics that always seem to surface here. :wink:

This is a great website - lots of diverse information and experience.

The TJB were probably the biggest single influence on my development as a trumpet player and musical performer.

They were a very special and unique musical phenomenon at a very special time in the cultural history of America.

I have always felt that what made them special was that they were new, original, and different. Nothing quite like it up until that time. It seems like that is always the formula for great success...

I place them right up there with groups like the Beatles and the Beach Boys who provided a new sound and direction in popular music that until that time, had been unheard. Like a new invention, so to speak. New and original songs, unique arrangements, and a different sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom