• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

a simple question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

francesco

Every morning while I'm going to the office I always listen the same
music in the car, one CD of 'Look around' and I think to myself this
question: the music of Sergio is still listened and played in the whole
world after more than 40 years, does anyone know why? Please don't consider my question so stupid. Thanks for reply.

I guess the simple answer is, "because it's good!" But I also think that it endures so well because it hasn't dated much. The 70s disco-era music is probably more a product of its time than the earlier Brasil '66 records, which are a lot closer to the same kind of jazz that's still coming out today.

Did anyone ever stop to think, as they're listening to say LOOK AROUND, for example,(since it's mentioned in this thread), and wonder how many other people in the world might be listening to the exact same album as you at that very moment in time?

I have, and given the number of people in the world, the chances are that someone, somewhere is sharing whatever you're listening to.

Harry
...deep in thought, online...

I think the bossa nova rhythm is tireless, and the arrangements of some of the songs will live on, too. When you take away the 60s parasols, it's really just as contemporary today.

I think the Brasil '66 sound is perceived as being perennialy *cool*. We might thank all the Lounge compilations or the periodical recycling of Bacharach et al for bringing it to the fore for new generations of listeners. I've lost count of the number of friends I've introduced to Brasil 66, many of whom, seduced by the vocals, beats and orchestrations, have gone on to invest in a decent compilation. (If you're planning to do this, use Mas Que Nada as bait :laugh: I agree with one post that the dico-era stuff has dated less well than anything else from the Sergio Mendes cannon (and I do have strong reservations about Confetti and Sergio Mendes (chilli in mouth cover), but one sound I can never "sell" to friends is the Love Music album! They tend to flee in horror, finding it too "honeyed". (Personally, I love it, though I believe that particular vocal combo was much better served on the second Bell outing, Vintage 74).

I agree with all of this....all of his music is close to my heart, but the 1966-71 stuff (or thereabouts) holds up so weel - it's just fun to listen to.......

EQUINOX is very appropriate today - the autumnal equinox!

Harry

I think that some of the attraction to the Brasil '66 sound is the use of standard instruments. I am referring to the early Brasil '66 albums.

I have mixed feelings about the electric piano. In some songs, it completes the "Lounge" feeling. In others, it creates a more dated sound, but I think that's more with synthesizers Sergio used in the 70s.

A piano is "Timeless". A synthesizer is...

I think part of the "timelessness" of "Look Around" are the very romantic renditions Ms. Lani Alpert Hall delivered. Those two tracks ( "So Many Stars", and "Like A Lover") are to me the standout tracks. Needless to say the fast numbers are dynamite as well. "The Look of Love", and "Pra Dizer Adeus" are fantastic as well. The cover art is eye-candy, and the ear candy is in the music. The album bridges Brazilian, American, and British Invasion sounds.("With A Little Help From My Friends") I also feel this album was wonderfully engineered, and the liner notes are very cool. The string arrangements by Dave Grusin are exquisite. Lani sang her heart out as always, and yours truly was seduced by her unique and rich voice. This is one of my "Desert Island" picks!

"So Many Stars" gets constant replay here, on CD and vinyl. It has one of the most delicate but lush string arrangements I've ever heard, period. Timeless! I still can not get over the subtleties that come out with each new listen. Those parasols on the cover help, too, and Lani Hall is definitely eye candy.

A while back I was sitting at a stoplight and realized someone was waving from the car next to me. Thinking this person needed instructions, I turned down the music, rolled down the window and said, "Yes?" to which he said, "Brasil '66, right?" I smiled and nodded affirmatively. "Cool!" he said giving me a thumbs up.

Yeah, the rhythm is infectious. The music timeless. Definitely a sound that endures the test of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom