Albert Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
This literally happened not more than ten minutes ago. I had to share it with my fellow Cornerites...

I ran up to Rite Aid to pick up a prescription. While waiting, I could hear "Rise" playing overhead. I took a seat next to a an older couple and overheard the following conversation:

Husband: "I love this tune...who is this, Mother?"

Wife: "I think it's Sir-joo Albert..."

Needless to say, I had to leave the scene...I was laughing so hard, I had to go outside and control myself. The couple passed me as I was walking back into the pharmacy. A friendly nod and they were on their way.

Priceless! Absolutely priceless!! :tongue:

Jon

NP: Herp Mindeze & The Brazilian Harps

Perhaps that explains why Universal thinks that "Definitive Hits" is the only Cd necessary to keep in print. People are looking for Sirjoo Albert CDs at the record shops.

David,
wondering if they'd recognize a Joo-das Webster marimba solo.......

Mom was with me and really had a good time teasing me about my reaction. "Those poor people," she laughed. "Why didn't you correct her?" "I couldn't," I laughed back. "It was so hysterical, Mom. He's been called 'Albert Herbert', 'Herp Albert' and various other things, but I've never heard anyone mix Herb Alpert with Sergio Mendes!"

We laughed all the way home. :laugh:

Jon

Many years ago (when I still had hair) I appeared on Tv here in scotland roughly four times every evening. With my name helpfully superimposed in nice big white letters.

It's TONY CURRIE. Quite simple.

I had two colleages. Bryce Curdy and Steve Hamilton.

I was invited to compere the launch of a new Ford car. Big deal stuff, local Ford distributor, dry ice and loud apocalyptic music.

Next day the newspapers said the launch had been done by STEVE CURDY.......

You could have told them it was "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Albert" and they'd better let him out the can before he smothers.
JB

It's all good. I get mail to this day addressed to "Jon Skinny". In high school the big joke was either "Skinny Skinner" or "Leonard Skinner" -- I thought it was funny, and took it in stride. :tongue:

Jon

I once read about a man named R.B. Jones...no first or middle names, just the initials. Back before the modern forms with the blocks for the letters were introduced for government documents, he had to fill out his income tax form, and in order to avoid confusion, he entered his name as R[only].;B[only]. Jones. Sure enough, his refund check was made out to Ronly Bonly Jones...

True story.

Dan

Although we're getting off topic here, as the author of this thread, I say it's OK. After all, we're talking about funny names here, right?

Which leads me to one of the worst of all...my cousin, Sue. She was told she'd never have children, so she adopted a boy and girl. Life took a sudden and interesting turn when they realized she was, indeed, expecting a child -- a little girl. They were so thrilled to have a child of their own, they named her "Mirth" for the happiness she'd brought into their lives. Only problem? The kid's last name: Rathbun!

Mirth Rathbun...try to say that without spitting! :shock:

Jon

...whose Mother, on hearing what her niece had named the baby quipped, "She might as well have been born with a 'KICK ME' sign on her back!"...

I don't even know if I should admit this or not... but I would have been like those people at Rite Aid just a month ago if my mom hadn't showed me. She kept them a secret from me. My mom has all the records Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass when she was younger. She has them up in the attic and I really want to listen to them but we don't have the right player. It makes me sad :sad:

brasil_nut said:
Although we're getting off topic here, as the author of this thread, I say it's OK. After all, we're talking about funny names here, right?

Well, while we're already at it ... the funniest name I'VE heard lately - my brother has friends who named their first baby Chance. I think that's kind of a silly thing to name your kid, but I say, while they're at it, they should go ahead and name ALL their kids Chance. That way, they have their first Chance, their second Chance, their last Chance ... :tongue:
If they never have another kid, though, if they ever make out a will, I'm assuming they'll "leave it all to Chance." :tongue:
Could be worse ... his middle initial and last name could be S. Zarr :tongue:

Jeff F.
NP: .38 Special "Second Chance"

OK, I'm suprised nobody mentioned Morris Albert, the guy who did "Feelings"--whose one or two LP's he made would be filed right with Herb!!

Do you suppose someone hearing "Feelings" would say IT was by Herb Alpert (or Herb Albert?)?

I've had to correct my dad on Herb's last name, myself--ALPERT, everytime he'd say...you know...! My mom would almost say "Albert", but I'd "stop her" in time.

Dave

...who saw a box of Herb's '45's in a certain record store I go to--and still does--marked HERB ALBERT & THE BOYS... :tongue:

Dave said:
Do you suppose someone hearing "Feelings" would say IT was by Herb Alpert (or Herb Albert?)?

To complicate things a bit don't forget that Herb played a flugelhorn solo on "Feelings" on Letta Mbulu's There's Music In The Air album.

Capt. Bacardi

That's OK...I have a Kevyn Lettau CD that gives a lyrical credit to "Lany Hall". :oops:

Jon

RESTORED AFTER BRASIL NUT EDITED...

Speaking of Kevin Lettau, At HMV here I saw two of her CDs at a whopping 2500 yen each. Hmm. Maybe next week. Maybe after I by the Japanese Sergio CDs (they had 'em all). But at $25 a pop... Maybe Never...

--Mr Bill

BRASIL NUT'S EDIT OF MR BILL POST (included so the following post would make sense)

Brasil Nut here...I made a boo-boo and "edited" instead of "replied" to Mr. Bill's message...sorry Mr. Bill...read my response to the fact that you are surrounded by Mendes Imports (well...they're Imports to us) below...you'll understand! :wink:

Jon

...just plain nuts...

brasil_nut said:
That's OK...I have a Kevyn Lettau CD that gives a lyrical credit to "Lany Hall".

On Quincy Jones Q's Jook Joint CD there's a credit of "Thanks to Herb Alpert and Lonnie Hall".

Capt. Bacardi

And, as mentioned before, Johnny Carson introducing "Herb Albert & The Tijuana Brass, Featuring Laney Hall," on the Academy Award broadcast, the night they performed "Maniac".

Jon

Southwest Jon said:
And, as mentioned before, Johnny Carson introducing "Herb Albert & The Tijuana Brass, Featuring Laney Hall," on the Academy Award broadcast, the night they performed "Maniac".

My folks taped it for me as I went to a Cramps concert that night...

--Mr Bill

I'm not talking about the name. I mean, I was talking about asking for Herb Alpert's official site... I mean come on... I should have known that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom