⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 7 8.1%

Votes: 20 23.3%

Votes: 46 53.5%

Votes: 12 14.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Just listened to it as well. Now listening and cringing a bit at the pops and noise from the box set vinyl, to Carpenters. It’s the 50th anniversary, and first record I bought at age 15 in 1971. It’s such a great album, and really hooked me on their sound. I couldn’t play it enough that summer.

I still love the album.

Here is Neil Sedaka, one of his mini-concerts, a medley which includes
Breaking Up Is Hard To Do:

I’m fascinated with the insane contrast in sound between this and Horizon, and later Passage. Horizon sounded towering, crisp, and and dimensional whereas Hush sounds much flatter, muted, small scaled, and Passage sounding quite muddy. I know new equipment/studio was used for Horizon and they broke their backs recording it, but why wasn’t this studio treatment heard in any way on later sessions? Did they stop whatever method because of how painstaking it was?

I’m no expert, but aurally Horizon has to be one of the most timeless records from that era, it sounds like a warm razor blade, cutting into a human heart with scary precision. I know that by Hush they were even more exhausted but technically speaking it sounds worlds apart from that enigmatic horizon.

I’m fascinated with the insane contrast in sound between this and Horizon, and later Passage. Horizon sounded towering, crisp, and and dimensional whereas Hush sounds much flatter, muted, small scaled, and Passage sounding quite muddy. I know new equipment/studio was used for Horizon and they broke their backs recording it, but why wasn’t this studio treatment heard in any way on later sessions? Did they stop whatever method because of how painstaking it was?

I’m no expert, but aurally Horizon has to be one of the most timeless records from that era, it sounds like a warm razor blade, cutting into a human heart with scary precision. I know that by Hush they were even more exhausted but technically speaking it sounds worlds apart from that enigmatic horizon.

Agreed. "Horizon" is easily their best-sounding album. They really nailed the sonics on that one and never approached it later. From a purely sonic perspective, that is the album that would seem to make the most sense on MFSL, though I can't imagine it sounding better.

Ed

I've been working on my next Revisited/Fresh Look review and Hush is next. If any of you have any rare or great photos or info regarding the time around Hush, please mail them to me via this forum. Thank you!

Casbox review (February 28,1976) for the single, There's A Kind of Hush:
THE CARPENTERS (A&M 1800) There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World) (2:53) (Les Reed, Geoff Stephens).
"The Carpenters are just that, craftsmen using their tools to build solid pop hits. This record is no exception, complete with slick production
and a hook -filled chorus. Nice guitar and horn work."

Here is the Cashbox (June 26, 1976) review for album A Kind of Hush:
A KIND OF HUSH — Carpenters — A&M SP 4581 — Producer: Richard Carpenter — List: 6.98
"The dynamic duo of the MOR/easy listening idiom have come up with another winner. “A Kind Of Hush" is a clean collection of tunes that is truly representative of the kind of music that the Carpenters are famous for — smooth, ingratiating melodies that bear their contemporary trademark.
This LP is bound to be an instant success with both the pop and MOR audiences, with the title tune and their cover of the Neil Sedaka hit,
"Breaking Up Is Hard To Do” standing out as prime shots for the AM market."

Last edited:
I liked this album. Of course I liked most of anything Carpenters. My choices for singles from this collection would have been "There's A Kind Of Hush", "You", "Can't Smile Without You" and "One More Time." The Carpenters released CSWY first on their album, but they released "I Know I Need To Be In Love" as the single instead the stronger song and allowed Barry Manilow (who I do like) to beat them to the punch. I know they had a special attraction to the song, but it just didn't have a catchy melody or memorable lyric. It's a pleasant song, but not a standout. I like "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do", but would have preferred the ballad version. Karen would have done wonders with that.

Canada's Record World ,February 28, 1976 Hits of the Week:
THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) (prod. by Richard Carpenter) (Glenwood, ASCAP).
Carpenters: "A song that should be familiar from Herman's Hermits' chart success in 1967 is given a pleasant arrangement and a saccharine sweet
vocal by Karen. This is the kind of record that finds the duo at the peak of interpretative talent."

CRW June 26, 1976 Albums:
CARPENTERS, A KIND OF HUSH. "Richard and Karen are consistently among the most pleasant of MOR artists recording and performing today.
Their recent hits "There's A Kind of Hush" and "I Need To Be In Love" are here, along with beautiful versions of "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" and
"Boat to Sail
." It's the hush heard round the world. " ($6.98).

Stats RW, August 28,1976 Album Chart:
Carpenters, A Kind of Hush #58 (9 weeks), previous week #46.

Last edited:
I don't know what it is but i have lately been listening to boat to sail on repeat almost daily. I really enjoy this song. Especially the background vocals by Karen. to be more specific at 2:23 in the song. Does anyone else agree? I would say that this song is probably my favorite on the album.

I haven't heard all the songs on the album yet, but the songs I have heard make this the best Carpenters album in my opinion, but maybe I'm just too sentimental, because "There's a kind of Hush (All over the World)" was the first Carpenters song I ever heard. It must have been around 2018 when I was about 13/14 years old and turned on the radio. I didn't know who it was at the time, but that beautiful voice and those wonderful soft melodies.... I knew that's how music had to/should sound. As I was in a very bad way at that time and did not know how to go on several times, it was always a great help to turn on the radio in the morning and hope that this song would play. Without this song I would probably never have got to know the Carpenters, so it remains my all-time favourite Carpenters song. Well, that's enough emotional nonsense! Since "Close to You" is the only Carpenters album I've listened to all the way through, I can only form an opinion on a few songs here:

01. "There's a Kind of hush" - As written above, I love it!
02. "You" - Beautiful, a fantastically good arrangement by Richard and an extremely sweet interpretation by Karen.
03. "Sandy" - NOT HEARD YET.
04. "Goofus" - NOT HEARD YET,
05. "Can't smile without you" - equally beautiful. I would love to hear the single version, but I don't own it at the moment. According to your information here in the forum, it's supposed to be even better than the album version.
06. "I need to be in Love" - Not for nothing Karen's favourite! Heartbreakingly beautiful, and it describes my innermost desire damn well. When I'm buried one day, I want this song to be played at my funeral.
07. "One more Time" - Beautiful and thought-provoking.
08. "Boat to Sail" - NOT HEARD YET.
09. "I Have You" - Again an incredibly good and heart touching song.
10. "Breaking up is hard to do" - NOT HEARD YET.

In summary, I have to say that this is an album made for me. Gripping, sweet, slow, mellow. That's how I like it.
I hope my points of view were understandable.

Greetings,
Florian

Last edited:
Florian, thank you for taking the time to do this write up on your feelings about the album. Like you, I have a very personal connection to it that you might enjoy reading. (I've been writing and revisiting each Carpenters albums for years now.) You can read my thoughts on Hush here.

I should thank you for allowing me to read your beautiful and much better written text. I will bookmark your page. It was really great to be able to read the feelings and thoughts of someone else who is a fan.

Tomorrow (June 11) this album will have been out for 47 (!) years. My blog will have a quirky connection to that fact tomorrow. :)

I was just getting ready to post this. 47 years, man time flies. I know Richard doesn’t like this song, but I have a soft spot for There’s a Kind of Hush. It’s a nice catchy song. The album overall isn’t my favorite but it has a few standouts. You, I need to be in Love, and Can’t Smile Without You are great songs.

I have a soft spot for A Kind of Hush too. It's always great to have Karen sing an up-tempo song. She was much more than just a ballads singer, but I understand why people love the ballads best. I actually think I'd rank "Postman and Hush" as my two favorite oldie covers by the Carpenters.

K & R's version is evocative and gorgeous - as you say "perfect" - a masterpiece in the art of arranging and singing - this version by S & C, a duo whose music I usually enjoyed a lot, simply confirms just how great the Carpenter's version truly is...

Back
Top Bottom