⭐ Official Review [Album]: "CARPENTERS" S/T (SP-3502)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 27 36.0%

Votes: 38 50.7%

Votes: 8 10.7%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
The only Remastered Classics CD’s I bought were Close to You and The Singles 1969-1973. Both are identical and have the black face, red logo and silver track list. The Singles was the hardest to find and really the only one that I wanted. I’ve never been a fan of the Remastered Classics CD’s but that’s just me.

I’ve never heard or seen a red faced one, is there a picture somewhere? I didn’t know they made different versions/coloring of the Remastered Classics.
Ticket To Ride[/ii] RC was issued with a red label.
Trevor Thurlow Productions (9th picture down)

Glad we got the book to explain what happened there. It's not just a narrow stereo image (though I'm definitely hearing that); it's just a dull recording...and now we know why.

Ed
Something happened between 1977 and 1986 to the masters for us to get a mono mix of B’Wana-or else a mono mix was prepped in 77 with B’Wana being considered as an A-side 45 release and the mono was for AM radio.

Just FYI. I am a fan of the remastered classics. I’m sure there are more of us. I’m glad we have them as an option.

Thanks Tom
I never seen that before, so the red and black are reversed. I wonder if these were pressed in different plants? Regions?
I’m not sure. I got this red one in 2003 through legal channels here in Canada, but it had the Universal Music Canada Import sticker on it (which I still have). As far as I know it was pressed in the US.

Just FYI. I am a fan of the remastered classics. I’m sure there are more of us. I’m glad we have them as an option.

I just don't like the needless compression. Further, the tapes were younger when originally converted to digital so there's that too. I'm not sure that makes for better sound in this case but the absence of compression definitely does. That's why I prefer the AM+ series. 'Course, as you stated, I'm just glad Carpenters' music remains in print for new fans to discover.

Ed

After reading the above posts, I pulled out some of my CDs and all the ones I checked had a silver label with black type. I think I bought them all when they started appearing on CD. Surprisingly (to me) all the CDs I checked (except for Singles 69-73) did not use the Carpenters logo. The name was just printed in plain text. Ticket to Ride said it was made in USA.

I don't think I think I bought the REMASTERED ones. Didn't know there were differences. Thought that REMASTERED just meant that they improved the sound somehow. Although I may have a few of them. I do remember seeing REMASTERED on some of them.

After reading the above posts, I pulled out some of my CDs and all the ones I checked had a silver label with black type. I think I bought them all when they started appearing on CD. Surprisingly (to me) all the CDs I checked (except for Singles 69-73) did not use the Carpenters logo. The name was just printed in plain text. Ticket to Ride said it was made in USA.

I don't think I think I bought the REMASTERED ones. Didn't know there were differences. Thought that REMASTERED just meant that they improved the sound somehow. Although I may have a few of them. I do remember seeing REMASTERED on some of them.
You also have to remember that the “Remastered Classics” branding was used here in North America, while the rest of the world, like the UK use the “Digitally Remastered” branding (although I’ve got a copy of the 98 Yesterday Once More that was printed here in Canada but used the “Digitally Remastered” branding.)

I just don't like the needless compression. Further, the tapes were younger when originally converted to digital so there's that too. I'm not sure that makes for better sound in this case but the absence of compression definitely does. That's why I prefer the AM+ series. 'Course, as you stated, I'm just glad Carpenters' music remains in print for new fans to discover.

Ed
Your ears are generally dead-on. And I am not saying I am correct, but I feel the Remastered Series fixes the hard accented treble that original transfers were forced to bear. That’s what I hear, and to me, feel warmer, similar to the vinyls. Now this also depends on the digital to analog mechanism that is used on my system. I am not disagreeing - just want to add a positive spin to all releases Carpenters.

Randy Sparks, the writer of the song (A Place To) Hideaway, has passed away. According to an interview that was published in "CARPENTERS ONLINE INTERVIEWS" by Rick Henry, Randy performed the song one time only at the Ledbetter Night Club the same week that Spectrum was performing there. Richard heard the song and decided to cover it in 1971 after contacting Randy Sparks to verify his memory of the song lyrics.

That song, along with 'One Love' remains one of my most treasured memories of first discovering their music.

I wonder if the news of all of these people passing that were connected to their career ever gets back to Richard. It must be pretty depressing.

Back
Top Bottom