• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "MADE IN AMERICA" (SP-3723)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 14 13.1%

Votes: 26 24.3%

Votes: 40 37.4%

Votes: 22 20.6%

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This, a question I would like to place to Mr. Richard Carpenter:
"Why?"
In other words, what compelled him to (want to) record this song?
The lyric, the arrangement.....if speaking of 'not contemporary enough',
how would he come to prefer releasing this song as single, instead of, say,
Look To Your Dreams ?
And, the advertisement above speaks volumes, why bother (A&M Marketing)
spending money on a promotional advertisement that is so--what's the word?---bland.

Last edited:
Even if it wasn't a very good prospect as a single, I think 'I Believe You' was a more commercial track than 'Look to Your Dreams', which would certainly have bombed no the pop charts. Dorothy Moore had, of course, taken it into the Top 20 in 1977, although that in itself should perhaps have given Richard and Karen pause for thought in releasing their version as a single, as it was a reasonable-sized hit still in recent memory, not a long-forgotten flop like the original version of 'Hurting Each Other', for instance.

It's been interesting seeing some of the Billboard ads for Carpenters' singles being posted - and that A&M was putting money into pushing these even in the fallow period of 1977-78. Given how awful most of their album designs were, a fair number of the ads are quite nicely done, although GaryAlan, I'd agree with you that the ad for 'I Believe You' is so bland and amateurish as to be essentially pointless - I can imagine a reader flicking straight over it without taking any of the information in.

Thanks for your insight on this, Rumbahbah !
Perhaps, given the option between I Believe You and Look To Your Dreams,
one song is more contemporary than the other (I really don't know!).
(Richard apparently did not want to record Look To Your Dreams, anyway.)
That being said, the Fan Club Newsletter of July 1978 #60,
has it a toss-up between Thank You For The Music and I Believe You
as the most likely candidates for a single release in 1978 (" in the near future").
(Also, When I fall In Love, Little Girl Blue & Dancing In The Streets mentioned in Q&A Section).
Thus, I simply fail to see Richard Carpenter's decision to opt for this song, and, Paul Riser as arranger.
Richard Carpenter:
"In addition to recording Christmas Portrait in 1978, Karen and I recorded several other selections,
including this lovely song written by the Addrisi Brothers (“Never My Love”)."

Sidelight: I remember when the song came out in 1978. My reaction, then, is quite the same as it is in 2015.
I could not fathom the reasoning which compelled its release--at that time,mind you---I saw the 'writing on the wall'.

"Why?"
Look To Your Dreams ?
spending money on a promotional advertisement that is so--what's the word?---bland.
"Look to Your Dreams" would have been perfect for the ending of a Disney princess movie. The lyric, melody, and choir just scream Cinderella or Aurora. Then it would have been a huge hit.

Thanks for your insight on this, Rumbahbah !
Perhaps, given the option between I Believe You and Look To Your Dreams,
one song is more contemporary than the other (I really don't know!).
(Richard apparently did not want to record Look To Your Dreams, anyway.)
That being said, the Fan Club Newsletter of July 1978 #60,
has it a toss-up between Thank You For The Music and I Believe You
as the most likely candidates for a single release in 1978 (" in the near future").
(Also, When I fall In Love, Little Girl Blue & Dancing In The Streets mentioned in Q&A Section).
Thus, I simply fail to see Richard Carpenter's decision to opt for this song, and, Paul Riser as arranger.
Richard Carpenter:
"In addition to recording Christmas Portrait in 1978, Karen and I recorded several other selections,
including this lovely song written by the Addrisi Brothers (“Never My Love”)."

Sidelight: I remember when the song came out in 1978. My reaction, then, is quite the same as it is in 2015.
I could not fathom the reasoning which compelled its release--at that time,mind you---I saw the 'writing on the wall'.

I think this is all symptomatic of the fact that by 1978, they didn't really know where they were going with their career, which is perhaps unsurprising given the state of both of them at the time. None of the non-Christmas tracks they recorded in 1978 really had any hit potential - I'm fairly certain that 'Thank You for the Music' wouldn't have been a hit either, and it's a song that's far less suited to Karen's style than 'I Believe You' in any case.

Very good points, Rumbahbah !
And, here is CFCN #64
April 1979:
"Many members have expressed disappointment in being unable to obtain the last single I Believe You,
and the B.L. Mitchell single which Richard produced last year. I am happy to advise you a limited supply
of both singles is now available through the Fan Club to USA Members only. The price is $1.50 each,
which includes postage and handling
."

Very good points, Rumbahbah !
And, here is CFCN #64
April 1979:
"Many members have expressed disappointment in being unable to obtain the last single I Believe You,
and the B.L. Mitchell single which Richard produced last year. I am happy to advise you a limited supply
of both singles is now available through the Fan Club to USA Members only. The price is $1.50 each,
which includes postage and handling
."
I purchased this through the fan club. Wow, was that a long time ago. :whistle:

Sadly, I do not own a 45 of the song.
In fact, I did not even try to get a copy back then.
Not too keen on it, yet!
Well at the time, we fans were going through 'Carpenters withdrawal' due to the delay in a new Carpenters album. So it was a breath of fresh air to us. Lost all my 45s long ago due to a moving mishap with a motor oil can. So I no longer have it. :sad:

When I think back to those days, I know I did wonder --1978,1979,1980--
why a new (regular) Carpenters' album had not been released.
I had no idea, then, what was going on behind the scenes.
(Did not become a Fan Club member until after 1983).
But, I also remember not liking I Believe You, at the time--1978.
Then, again, warming up to Close To You took some time! Love it, now.
Top of The World and Only Yesterday were Instant Favorites!
Until I read credits on early albums, I really had not known Karen was
a drummer. That sealed the deal !

I Believe You Single Billboard Ad from Oct 28 1978, unusual in that it was not an any album at the time and did not appear on any album until 1981 release of Made in America.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/70s/1978/Billboard 1978-10-28.pdf

Page 109

Billboard%20I%20Believe%20You%20Ad%20Oct%2028%201978.png~original

To think what it must have cost A&M to run a full page ad like this and this is what they do with the space!

"Why?"
Look To Your Dreams ?
Richard provided a detailed answer to this question in a 1977 Passage interview.This is a quote from Richard:

"You can't go into a recording studio and worry about what everyone on the outside is thinking. An artist has to do what they feel suits them best & what they like the best.That's the foremost thing-what pleases the artist,not what's going to sell or please the critics."

As far as "Look To Your Dreams"-that wouldn't have been considered for a single release.

I do agree that Karen's rendering of the song is incredible.
She glides effortlessly over the notes.
As for the song itself, for me anyway, the Chorale parts decimate
the beauty of the message.
And, the arrangement, for me anyway, is too overpowering--it almost
conspires to hide Karen Carpenter's vocals.
Over-all, I listen because Karen Carpenter is singing the song.
If any other vocalist were singing the song--such, as it is--
I would probably take a pass.
But, to each his own!

One song that has really grown on me in recent years is 'When It's Gone'. I used to think it was a sleeper of a track but when you listen to it with good headphones, there's so much going on in that song and Karen's vocal is just beautiful, it draws you in. The choruses are just stunning.

Here is a Cashbox ad for Made in America to promote the single, Touch Me When Were Dancing.

"Available For The Whole World....CARPENTERS Made In America.....For The World On A&M Records & Tapes...Includes the Single Touch Me When Were Dancing"

So we know this one exists and was probably featured in Billboard but the issue it appeared in is not online.

Billboard%20Touch%20Me%20When%20Were%20Dancing%20Promo.jpg~original

On the left-hand side of the Advertisement/Promotion,
I wish I were able to read what
"..the whole world is saying about Carpenters Made In America "
Unfortunately, for me, I am unable to ascertain what the'world' is saying.
Thanks, though, for the scans !
Very interesting.

Wow that's a nice one Harry....thanks...one day I want to get around to collecting the issues all these ads appeared in but that will have to wait for another time when I have funds so for now I'm just saving these to my pic folder.

Just an update...I've exhausted all my means to finding any others online....there are a lot of missing issues for online viewing and most likely they appeared in those issues. Hopefully others can help out who might have those actual Billboard mags and can scan them for us. It's been great seeing these ads and the catchy marketing lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom