1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Album]: "MADE IN AMERICA" (SP-3723)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 1, 2013.

How Would You Rate This Album?

1. ***** (BEST)

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. ****

15 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. ***

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. **

22 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. *

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Karen Carpenter knocked MADE IN AMERICA out of the park!

P.S. I'm going to revise and redraw my respect factors regarding Karen and Richard Carpenter's magic. Each survey I change my vote to the very best!

Jamesj75 and Geographer like this.
  2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

I don’t know what park your in, but MIA was a dud. 1st base maybe with “Want You”, “Touch Me” and “Beechwood”, but her finest performances of their era were left in the clubhouse for reasons unknown.

3. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Forum members that know me...realize that your comment is just way too easy bait and I'm not bitin'.
    Oh and Tom, regarding which park I'm in...perish the thought and put mind to ease cuz you've already missed the game.
    I'm referring to the game where Karen Carpenter knocked MADE IN AMERICA out of the park. In CarpenterSland there are two types of fans. Those that HEAR and that are simply here.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  4. After reading others' comments on this album's mixing, especially vocals, I did some experimenting.
    It's well known how effective the SACD's mixing was, even for the [two] MIA songs.
    Well, when playing back in 'downmix to stereo' mode, the vocals really come forward.
    I also decided to go one step further, and turned on the dynamic processer on my reciever [in 'night' mode], producing a heavier, 'wall of sound' effect.

I can't call this method 'better' from a Hi-Fi perspective, but it shows how well some systems can enhance surround mixes

Here:
    Touch Me When We're Dancing ~ Original Stereo Downmix
    Touch Me When We're Dancing ~ Processed 'Night-mode' Mix

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    CarpentersToYou likes this.
  5. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

Wow Sean. I own the SACD and that's the closest I've heard it duplicated in stereo.
    Good work sir.

6. :)
    It is the SACD still~ I just set my reciever to 'downmix' the surround sound into regular stereo! Then extra dynamic processing was added for the 'night mode' mix.

ullalume likes this.
  7. Yep. Nice work Sean. I had the same revelations when I did just about the same thing, allowing my equipment to downmix the SACD to essentially two channels, and reveling in the results. As I type this, I'm listening to the "Calling Occupants" downmix and getting goosebumps all over again, just like in 2012, when I posted about it here:

Center recordings....from SACD

Seán Pendlebury likes this.
  8. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

What strikes me about this (same as on the isolated SACD tracks posted on YouTube) is that there’s virtually no reverb on the vocals whatsoever, including Karen’s lead. Why is that? Would it have been caught by another channel on the SACD?

9. WYBIMLA

WYBIMLA Active Member

So looking forward to the RPO mix of Touch me when we're dancing and Those good old dreams.
    This would be the first time they've been remixed.
    I wonder if any criticisms fans have found over the years about MIA's mix will be taken into account
    (Not saying Richard has read these, but perhaps he'll bring Karen's voice more forward).
    We'll have to see and compare by the end of this year. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  10. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

That’s why I’m really looking forward to hearing them :)

11. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

Strictly Come Dancing finally did a version of Rainbow Connection for a waltz!

newvillefan likes this.