• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW Ali Thompson - DECEPTION IS AN ART (SP-4846)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Ali Thompson
DECEPTION IS AN ART

A&M SP-4846

sp4846.jpg

SIDE ONE

Safe and Warm
Foolish Child
Don't Hold Back
Art Gallery
Shells Lay Scattered

SIDE TWO

The One and Only
Man of the Earth
A Simple Song
Secrets Hide Inside
Someone in Motion

Contributing Musicians include Stuart Elliot, William C. Lyall, Philip Wright, Ray Cooper and John Anthony Helliwell (sax)

Released 1981

JB

Wow, I'm not sure I even knew this one existed! I've certainly never run across a copy of it, at least. I would've snatched it up. (I've actually never run across a copy of Take a Little Rhythm, for that matter, either. All I have of his is the 45 to that song, with "Jamie" on the flip.) Not sure why Ali never really became much of a star; he's got a great singing voice, and the guy can really write songs, too. (I don't know how many people realize it, but though he may have only had one hit as a recording artist ("Take a Little Rhythm"), he actually had another sizable American hit as a songwriter by co-writing Gary Wright's "Really Wanna Know You," which is an equally fabulous song.)
Has anyone here heard this album? I'd love to hear a review of it!

- Jeff F.

(I've actually never run across a copy of Take a Little Rhythm, for that matter, either. All I have of his is the 45 to that song, with "Jamie" on the flip.)

That's one I do have. I recall our radio station playing "Take A Little Rhythm", which sounded more like Paul McCartney than Paul McCartney does and I found that album in the throwaway pile. "Take A Little Rhythm" is the second song on Side One, while "Jamie" is the second song on Side Two.

Harry

From what I've read, Ali Thomson all but disappeared from the limelight as an artist and focused primarily on writing for other artists after DECEPTION IS AN ART failed to chart successfully. In the early 90s, another two-album, singer/songwriter-turned-producer, Lauren Christy, recorded a tune co-written by Thomson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Thomson

Status
Not open for further replies.