• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

ALPERT FEATURE AT ACADEMY MOTION PICTURES - LOS ANGELES

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

Hi All,

During California Visit , viewed Oscars 75th Anniversary Exhibition -Fascinating to see 10 original 1928 Oscars on show , many other rare Oscars and Awards Plus Posters and other Items ..... :)

Picked up Short Programme and on page 5 under future Screening Series Alpert Feature was listed :

Monday 31 March @ 7.30 PM at Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theatre:

Preceding A Man For All Seasons (1966 -39th Oscars) :

Herb Alpert and TJB Double Feature (Recipent of Oscar for Best
Animated Short ) Plus Film Trailers and Oscar Awards Footage :)

Perhaps Alpert Fans in LA / California / Arizona / Nevada, can attend as long as they like A Man Best Film ?

How long is this feature and which TJB tracks are included ?

Have any other Fans seen this previously ?

Peter -Intrigued.......

Herb and the Brass were featured in a cartoon produced by John and Faith Hubley back in '66. The songs they played were SPANISH FLEA and TIJUANA TAXI. I've never seen the cartoon, and as I understand, it's an extreme rarity...so this showing would be quite an event. It's almost worth flying out to L.A. to see it[but my arms would be too tired ...]...if you're a TJB fan and can possibly get to that theatre...DO IT...or I'm gonna GET ya!!!! :wink:

Dan, stuck in Indiana...

PS...I played Richard Rich in A MAN when I was in college...still flinch when I see a candlestick... :rolleyes:

"...but every man has his price..."

Dan

Extremely rare is the truth. Viacom evidently owns the film, thorugh gobbling up Paramount and they have ignored its existance over the years. I Asked Cissy Wechter about the possibility of playing it for the Julius tribute(s) and she said that it had already been considered(they even tracked down an imperfect copy)but it eventually did not work with the overall plans. The film was done by John and Faith Hubley, responsible for many innovative animated films including VOYAGE TO NEXT,MOONBIRD and EVERYBODY RIDES THE CAROUSEL. As much independent work as the creators had over their work,they did not have control of this film. Many Hubley films have been showcased on the Sundance Channel and are avilable on DVD. John died in 1977 while working on the DOONESBURY special,Faith passed away just last year. One of their daughters,Emily,is still involved in animation. Another daughter,Georgia,co-founded the quirky rock group Yo La Tango. Mac

Just as Information For those Fans that can Attend :

Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences

8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverley Hills
CA 90211

Tel : 310-247-3600

Tickets : $5-00 for General Public , $3-00 for Students.

Hopefully Some Alpert / A&M Corner will Attend and Update on this Rarity ..... :)

Peter

PJ said:
Just as Information For those Fans that can Attend :

Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences

8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverley Hills
CA 90211

Tel : 310-247-3600

Tickets : $5-00 for General Public , $3-00 for Students.

Hopefully Some Alpert / A&M Corner will Attend and Update on this Rarity ..... :)

Peter

And somebody, please, try to sneak in a camcorder... :wink:

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom