• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Alpert launched them, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardWarner

Contributor
Yes, there were Carpenters, Gino Vannelli and all the rest.

Here's an item from a newspaper article about "All in the Family's" Sally Struthers this morning that...well, I didn't know...

"Struthers first TV appearance was as a go-go dancer – opposite Goldie Hawn – for an hour-long special with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass."

Yes, there were Carpenters, Gino Vannelli and all the rest.

Here's an item from a newspaper article about "All in the Family's" Sally Struthers this morning that...well, I didn't know...

"Struthers first TV appearance was as a go-go dancer – opposite Goldie Hawn – for an hour-long special with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass."

Wow! I wonder which special this was. The first TJB Special? Beat Of The Brass? The Brass Are Comin'? I'm going to have to scan these closely to see if I can pick them out. Interesting bit of trivia there, Richard. Thanks for sharing.

Jon

brasil_nut said:
Wow! I wonder which special this was. The first TJB Special? Beat Of The Brass? The Brass Are Comin'? I'm going to have to scan these closely to see if I can pick them out.

I don't recall any of the TV specials having go-go dancers in it, except for the brief bit on the first special where Herb was introducing the band and mentioned that John Pisano and Pat Senatore were a part of the "long hair movement". But it doesn't look like Sally Struthers to me.

Capt. Bacardi
...puzzled online...

Could be one of the beach scenes in Beat Of The Brass, couldn't it? I mean, there were a lot of Hunny's dancing around. Perhaps Goldie and Sally are one of them? Hmmm...interesting! :tongue:

Jon

In this morning's edition of the "Answer Man" by Richard Shull, a national question and answer column on movies and tv, one of the answers was that Sally Struthers was a dancer on the short lived Tim Conway Comedy Show in 1970. She either danced on a lot fo shows, or she got Tim and Herb confused.

brasil_nut said:
Could be one of the beach scenes in Beat Of The Brass, couldn't it? I mean, there were a lot of Hunny's dancing around. Perhaps Goldie and Sally are one of them? Hmmm...interesting! :tongue:

The beach scenes were from the first special, and I guess she could've been there. But that wasn't really what I consider "go-go" dancing, though. And since Goldie Hawn was mentioned as well I'm wondering if maybe it was a Rowan & Martin "Laugh-In" show that Herb was on?

Capt. Bacardi

You're so right, Herb was on Laugh-In. I remember when Nick-At-Night was running the shows. I'll bet this is what Sally might have been referring to.

Jon

brasil_nut said:
You're so right, Herb was on Laugh-In. I remember when Nick-At-Night was running the shows. I'll bet this is what Sally might have been referring to.

Jon

I remember the original...I remember Herb and Goldie, but not Sally...those were the days, though...

Although I was ten-years-old at the time, I remember the original Laugh-In as well. It was a wild, crazy show. I especially liked "Say goodnight, Dick..." and "Sock it to me!" Joanne Worley and her "Borrringgggg!!" always made me laugh. And, who can forget the "Party" sequences with the classic one-liners -- or "The Joke Wall" which closed the show? Yup! Laugh-In was a hoot!

Jon

...who is willing to "Bet His Bippy," online... :tongue:

brasil_nut said:
Although I was ten-years-old at the time, I remember the original Laugh-In as well. It was a wild, crazy show. I especially liked "Say goodnight, Dick..." and "Sock it to me!" Joanne Worley and her "Borrringgggg!!" always made me laugh. And, who can forget the "Party" sequences with the classic one-liners -- or "The Joke Wall" which closed the show? Yup! Laugh-In was a hoot!

Jon

...who is willing to "Bet His Bippy," online... :tongue:

I'm still trying to deal with the Fickle Finger of Fate...

Dan

brasil_nut said:

I can still remember Arte Johnson and Sammy Davis Jr. as German soldiers, peeking through a fern... "Verrrrry interesting...but stupid!" :D

Another classic line that I remember from the show is "Dirty Old Men need love too!" Someone should put that on a t-shirt. :wink:

Murray

Could the go-go dancer bit be the symphonic "Taste of Honey" on the beach with dancers behind the group?

here come da judge...

That's exactly what I was thinking, Richard, in my original post (although I had the special wrong...)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom