Alpert songs on iTunes store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

I have noticed that the US iTunes store has the 'Double' album Herb guests on as well as Sam Cooke's 'Wonderful World'. Has anyone noticed any other Herb 'guest' appearances or songs he wrote for sale on the iTunes store?

Sorry, I can't help. I've never been to iTunes. I guess I'm a dinosaur but I prefer LPs or CDs for my music.

Harry

I'm a bit of a dinosaur myself in prefering LPs and CDs (I still love to watch records spin!), but iTunes is a great source for so-called bonus tracks which you are not going to get on your hard copies, and for bits and pieces like 'Devil's Ball' when you have no interest in investing in the entire album.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
My Xmas CD is on iTunes and I don't even understand how it works...yet.
I know I've sold four or five tracks. Does that mean a concert tour? :badteeth: later.......J

Tour?? Groupies!! :goodie:

On iTunes, you can't search by guest appearance or by songwriter. You can only search by artist, song title and album title. Who knows, this might change sometime.

Your best bet, if you want to find Herb's guest appearances and the songs he wrote, is to search him on allmusic.com. This database is not always 100% accurate but you'll find a wealth of info there. When you know what songs you want, that's when you can go to iTunes and search them out.

I prefer CDs and LPs too, but there are a lot of one-hit wonders that I've DLd from iTunes and probably saved a ton of money doing it. It's a good alternative for when you know you don't like a whole album.

Stupid question #101: Does one need an iPod to use iTunes? Or is it just a downloadable mp3 file that'll work on your computer? Is it in mp3 format or something proprietary? I guess that's three questions.

Harry

There are no stupid questions for computers.

Does one need an iPod to use iTunes?---No, you can play downloads using iTunes on either a Mac or Windows.

Or is it just a downloadable mp3 file that'll work on your computer?---Yes and no. See next

Is it in mp3 format or something proprietary?---The downloads I believe are all protected AAC; an Apple format. But you can convert anything in iTunes to mp3, AIFF or WAV. You can also burn downloads to CD-R.

iTunes is designed to work on an iPod (Windows or Mac) and with the free iTunes software that resides on your computer (Windows or Mac). So you can listen to it on your computer and transfer the tunes to an iPod. The music is encoded so it won't work on other MP3 players, though I suspect there is some free conversion software out there that gets around the limitation. (I have an iPod that plays video and have ripped DVD movies I own so they play on my iPod even though there isn't a way to buy these particular movies yet. Great for air travel.)

A quick check of iTunes this morning shows Herb's entire Shout! catalog is available for purchase by the song or by the album, iTunes has compiled its own grouping of essential Alpert tunes available for purchase with one click if you're too lazy to build your own playlist, and he is featured on an audiobook interview hosted by former NPR host Bob Edwards. For a whle there was also a Rita College cut that he played on.

Rocketman said:
Is it in mp3 format or something proprietary?---The downloads I believe are all protected AAC; an Apple format. But you can convert anything in iTunes to mp3, AIFF or WAV. You can also burn downloads to CD-R.

What software is required for converting the downloaded iTunes stuff to a standard mp3?

See, this is why this whole downloading idea is crappy. Years ago, when I went into a record store and bought a record, all I had to do was unwrap it and play it. After all these years, those records still play. In the CD age, I'd buy a disc at a store, and take it home and play it. Those still play just fine too.

So now, I'm expected to go online, hand over my money to buy an album or single, and I get to use my phone connection or DSL, that I also pay for, to download the music to my computer. Then I've either got to play it on the computer with proprietary software, or use some other software to convert it to something else, so that I can then dub it onto a CD? This is supposed to be easier?

:?:

Harry

As soon as this format improves, gets cheaper, easier to use, more trouble-free to hear, has video for images/photos and lyrics and can put it where my current set-up (Record Player, Tuner, CD Player) is in my room, I'm buying it...!
genie.gif

Dave

Harry said:
What software is required for converting the downloaded iTunes stuff to a standard mp3?

From what I understand, your iTunes application will handle everything for you. You download your files in AAC format, and then have a choice of saving them in another format, burning to CD, or loading into an iPod. In fact, if you do get an iPod, your collection in iTunes automatically synchronizes your iPod's contents with what you have stored in iTunes.

So it's not like you even have to convert it to MP3, unless you want to put it into another portable music player that does not accept AAC files. WMA and MP3 are the other popular compressed music file formats out there, and there are also others (OGG, FLAC, etc.) that are less common but still in widespread use.

If all you want to do is download some rarites from iTunes and burn to CD, it should be just a matter of browsing the iTunes store, buying your selections, downloading, and then burning to CD, all within iTunes.

No iPod here...yet. I am leaning toward one of the Nano devices because 1) it is smaller and 2) it has no moving parts. The regular iPods have a hard drive inside, where the Nano is all memory-based. Although the regular iPod is also attractive since you can also store video on it, which would be handy for trips.

With the way storage is dropping in price (and size), I'm surprised iPods have hard drives in them. Someday we'll all have little doohickeys the size of a pack of gum that will hold 50,000 songs.

(Hopefully all the content will be backed up somewhere so when the little thing gets lost, all the music doesn't get lost with it!)

It'll probably be implanted in your body somewhere, with a GPS chip, credit card chip, and ID chip.

Currently, I have absolutely zero interest in downloading any music. If it ain't on CD or LP, I'll pass for now. This is one technology that really doesn't interest me, so I'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming into it, like I was with cell phones (which I stil hate!)

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
With the way storage is dropping in price (and size), I'm surprised iPods have hard drives in them. Someday we'll all have little doohickeys the size of a pack of gum that will hold 50,000 songs.

(Hopefully all the content will be backed up somewhere so when the little thing gets lost, all the music doesn't get lost with it!)

The iPod hard drives are fairly high in capacity (40GB and 80GB, I believe), so it would cost a small fortune to use that much memory in a solid state configuration. I think they use a laptop hard drive for these, although I'm not 100% certain. At any rate, I'd rather have 100% solid state myself. As for backups, most software has you rip your CDs to your computer, then transfer them to the player. That makes the computer your backup. Although it's wise to buy an extra hard drive and make a copy of all those files. As cheap as the drives are these days, it's a no-brainer IMHO.

Well, to answer my own original question I did a search of every title on the 'Guest Appearences' discography and found the following available in iTunes---

Four Strong Winds-Waylon Jennings
Just to Satisfy You-Jennings
Ticket to Ride-Carpenters
A Song I’d like to Sing-Rita Coolidge
The More I See You-Peter Allen
Nostalgia-Gato Barbieri
Noche de copas-Maria Conchita
Love Will Never Do Without You-Janet Jackson

More than I thought I'd find. That's 8 songs in mint condition for $8. A great deal when you consider how hard and expensive it would be to track down and buy all the 45's and LPs they came from.

Now if some one could think of more titles...

And a note on AAC. They download at 128kbps, but to my ears sound better than mp3 at a higher rate. I have burned audio CDs direct from AAC and they have fooled friends of mine with pretty sharp ears for sound quality.

Oops, forgot to answer Harry's question.

You don't need any additional software to convert music files. You do it within iTunes itself. You can add music to iTunes 3 ways: rip a CD, download from the Store or import a file from your computer (AIFF, WAV and mp3). Once the music file is in iTunes you select it. Then choose 'Convert selection' from the 'Advanced' menu and it will convert the selection to any of the above formats after they are set in the 'Preferences'. You can also choose the compression rate. This is all for the Mac version, but I have iTunes installed on my Windows box at work and I believe it has all the same options.

I would like to keep this topic going since the itunes store keeps updating. Especially now that a bunch of you have gotten use to the store in order to pick up the latest signature series releases.

Last time I posted, the Ry Cooder song 'Mambo Sinuendo' was not on the store, but now it is-just downloaded it. They also have the Gato Barbieri album The Shadow of the Cat. The itunes store is the perfect place to pick and choose.

Some members have asked how they can purchase from the US store if they live abroad. You can only use credit cards with billing addresses in the US. However, if you have a friend or family member in the States (like I do-I live in Japan), ask them to buy an itunes music card for you. They don't have to mail the whole card, just the number on the back and then you can redeem the card in US dollars on the store. If you have already registered on the store in your local country, you will need to use a different email address and set up a new account at the US store first. During registration when they ask for credit card info, just skip that page and go on the the page where you can redeem your card. Once the card is accepted, a small window opens in the upper right, next to the account name, and tells you how much is left in the account.

Also wanted to thank whoever did the update of the discography for Herb. Beautiful job!! and it gave me more songs to search for.

If our buddy from Shout!Factory is reading this topic, maybe he can find out when the Herb titles will be available to our overseas friends through iTunes.

I'm sort of surprised Herb didn't demand that from the start.

At Shout!'s suggestion, I contacted the UK distributor (High Coin) of the Signature Seres a month or so back. I never heard anything. For the sake of completeness I also ordered a couple of the High Coin releases of Herb's reissues.

I never heard from them in either regard. Truly pathetic. At least Shout! dropped me a nice email.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom