• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

An eBay bargain, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Back in 2002, there was a flurry of activity on eBay regarding Canadian versions of Sergio's CONFETTI album. It seems a cassette of it sold in the incredible $300 range, while an LP garnered over $100. (Our thread about it is here: http://www.amcorner.com/forum/threads/theyre-at-it-again-on-ebay.260/#post-1698 ).

Well, just yesterday I happened to spot another LP of this on eBay, and managed to snag it for a nice low $19.50. A high price to be sure for an under-achieving album, but since it's got a rare extra track of the instrumental version of "Olympia", I thought I'd splurge a little.

I wonder why Canada was treated to this extra track?

Harry
...still packing, online...

Interesting--I never looked at that LP before, but with our proximity to Canada, I wonder if any of the copies I've seen might have been from Canada.

Don't know why Canada ended up with the instrumental version, but they did. I bought a copy in Vancouver back around the time it was released. Also have the 'Disco Single' -- Lp-sized -- which has both versions as well.

Jon

I used to see a lot of those Mendes 12" singles around here and never paid them much attention. Probably passed up a few of those in my day.

Ironic (but true), I usually passed on purchasing these, too. They were usually a gift from my brother-in-law, as he would receive them at the radio station, then pass them on to me. The majority of mine are, of course, promotional copies. I've bought one or two here and there, and now wish I'd purchased all I've seen in my world-wide travels. Oh well, live and learn!

Jon

I think I've only seen them as promos. I bet A&M sent a ton out to radio stations and record stores, and they in turn dumped them all at the used vinyl shops. That and "Voodoo"...they probably proliferated like jackrabbits in the used bins.

...Although a bit off-topic...

I remember one concert having to do with "Voo Doo" and the sound system...Sergio opened with this song, but everything went terribly wrong. Some vocals came out above others; vocals disappeared; instruments and microphones went in and out...it was a mess. Sergio kept looking out toward the engineer with a look that said, "I'm NOT happy!"

Somehow, toward the middle of the song, it all came together.

Last time I saw him this upset was in Sacramento, when he introduced the Brasil 2000 version of his band...

Again, there were problems with the sound system and screaming microphones throughout the show. After several comments to the effect of, "I cannot hear myself in my monitor!" he stopped between songs, looked out toward the engineers and said, "I said...I cannot hear my monitor!!!" At the conclusion of the show, Sergio marched off stage (muttering furiously to himself) and headed straight for the dressing room (which happened to be a hotel room...this concert was in the forecourt of a Radisson).

Jon

...who wouldn't want to be one of the engineers when something like this happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom