• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

and introducing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have been a Sergio Mendes fan since I heard him accompany Wanda d Sah and Roshina de Valenca. The vocals of Wanda and the beautifully realized music from Ms. Valenca's guitar, accompanied by Sergio Mendes and his new group--well, it was overpowering. I lost the album in 1963 and by pure luck, happenchance or fate, choose one, I found it on the Internet, new and on LP. What a marvelous discovery, or rediscovery.
Has anyone heard this album or the artists? It introduced me to the world of bossa nova, fado and of course the superlative artists in the album.

samba!
Michael

Are you talking about this album?

41CEQS79JRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

If so, that was reissued on CD in Japan, back in 1998.

Regards,
Mike

Mike said:
Are you talking about this album?

41CEQS79JRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

If so, that was reissued on CD in Japan, back in 1998.

Regards,
Mike

It's actually been issued several times on CD under various titles.

However, I'm assuming your comment that you lost the LP in 1963 is a typo, or else I'd like your secret for time travel. :) (The LP came out in either 1964 or 1965, can't recall right now, but I think '64).

JMK,
Thank you for replying to my query. I appreciate the album photo as well. I have the album, and yes, I did lose it approximately July 1963, by your earth time...
Have you any idea how I can obtain the CD. The album originally belonged to my brother, I fell in love with it, lost it before we moved from Los Angeles (that's how I know it was 1963) to Whittier. I am now in Tulare, CA. It is still an open field, agricultural community and reminds me of the days when freeways and strip malls were just a thought is someone's misguided dreams. In a way I have time-traveled back to 1963 again.

If you can let me know how I can order the CD, I should be most grateful. By the way, JMK, you joined A&M corner on my birthday. How's that for a slice? My best to you and continued good listening.

Mike B

Dear Mike,

Thank you for sending me your reply so quickly. I wrote JMK a reply and realized you had also sent one to me. The album cover in the reply made me think it was the same party. My apologies. If I can be excused for the error, let me say I was re-assembling my Grandfather clock's pendulum, weights, inset glass and the like. Stress made a wrinkle disappear on my brain, but I am confident it will crease again.
Thanks, once more. I appreciate your time in sending a reply.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The CD version that I posted a picture of is out of stock, but you can easily get Best of Sergio Mendes and Brasil 65 from Amazon.com for dirt cheap and it’s the same album with the addition of the song “Favela”.

41B2N1T106L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Regards,
Mike

With all these mikes, we'll have to watch what we say!

:D

You can order the Brasil '65 CD from Amazon.com. Just roll over the picture below and follow the link. It's budget priced but sounds great.

Harry

Yep, that's the critter.

I first had this on an LP that was on the Tower label, a subsidiary of Capitol Records. I think it was titled "In A Brazilian Bag", and credited to the Sergio Mendes Trio. Same exact album.

The version Harry pictured above is the one I have. Didn't like it too much...I have no idea where in my 'archives' it is at the moment!

I like it mainly because it's in the jazz/Brasil trio format, similar to what Getz/Gilberto did in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom