And the next owner of A&M is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your assessment of Sheryl Crow. With so much lousy pop music during the '90s it's no wonder she rose so high. But it's time for something new.
Fortunately A&M has some upcoming talent, like Vanessa Carlton. If the Grammys have any credibility left she should win something on the basis of talent and future potential. Meanwhile, I'm hearing her latest single, "Pretty Baby" quite often.
Thanks to a car radio tuned in to what the kids like to hear, I've picked up some good tunes from another young female on A&M (what vestige which remains). This is Samantha Mumba with her album GOTTA TELL YOU (A&M 314549799-2). The title song and "Body II Body" are very catchy.
What sets this apart are the instrumental backgrounds.
Let's hope A&M enlarges a promising core of new artists with actual talent, so that it can spin off from UNI and forge a new identity.
Maybe if Herb collaborated with some of them he'd have success similar to Santana in recent years.
JB
NP: Samantha Mumba GOTTA TELL YOU "Baby Come Over"

www.samanthamumba.com

Rudy said:
From day one I've always considered her a marginal talent...
Geez,I dunno where this is coming from. Ms. Crow is currently responsible for two singles out of the Billboard Top 100-the Dixie Chicks "Landslide" and the Kid Rock duet,"Picture". For the Chicks,this is the first crossover record and,yeah,it does copy that slick Stevie Nicks-Fleetwood Mac pop of the '70s(which,personally,leaves me cold)but a bigger audience will find out about the wonderful Chicks. As for the Kid Rock duet-the album where this comes from was bombing and the single(which features another countrified version of the song with Allison Moorer)seems to be the saving grace of this over-hyped bad boy follow up to "Devil Without a Cause"(having to go the ballad route that his co-hort, Uncle Cracker,had to go). Besides this current success,Ms. Crow has been one of the most versatile artists to show up on tribute albums to Hank Williams,the Who,Gram Parsons,Carpenters,Burt Bacharach and Sun Records. She has done a Beatles cover in "I Am Sam". She has recorded with Stevie Nicks,Tony Bennett,Nancy Wilson,Taj Mahal,Johnny Cash and Foreigner. And you know,while I ain't a fan of all of this,she doesn't embarass herself on any of these projects. If anything,she might be a little too accessable. Mac

She's past 40, looks like a million bucks in tight jeans and can belt it out all day long...move over Shania...Sheryl's got ya beat hands down! And, she's got a MUCH better bellybutton, to boot. If she could cook, I'd marry her in a heartbeat...wait a minute...I can cook...COME ON, COME ON, Sheryl...:cool:

Dan, dreaming...DON'T wake me...

jimac51 said:
Rudy said:
From day one I've always considered her a marginal talent...
Geez,I dunno where this is coming from.

I guess because I heard of her long before she was ever popular...didn't like her then, and like her even less now. The voice does nothing for me, and while I don't think the music is bad, it's just bland and unremarkable to my ears, doesn't stand out from any of her contemporaries. No different from anything else I've been subjected to in passing. I haven't really heard much of anything past her first album (since alternative radio was all over it before Top 40 discovered her), but then again, I haven't had a desire to.

But then again, most "new" music ("new" being anything in the past decade or so) hasn't done anything for me either. For me to like it, it would have to be different and original, and have an edge to it. Something outside the norm. That's why, when the Garth Brooks and Alan Jacksons are selling millions, I'm listening to the underdogs like BR5-49 and Eric Heatherly.

But as they say, YMMV. (Your mileage may vary.)

And Dan--no jokes about eating Crow either... :wink: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom