• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

And When I Die (Carpenter/Freeman) - cleaned up version

This is a really nice cleaned up version of "And When I Die" with Karen and Wanda Freeman by Youtuber "Carpenters Collector".....

And it drew the attention of Wanda Freeman's daughter who posted a nice, short comment to the video about a year ago (screenshot here):

If you'd like to learn a little more about Wanda Freeman Cobb, she met the love of her life, James Cobb, while they were students at CSULB. Married for 45 years and residing in Sun CIty, AZ. James Cobb passed away in 2018.

---------------------------------------------------------

Very nice! Is that Richard playing the piano?
Although the CSULB album cover doesn't specifically mention "Richard Carpenter, Pianist" for that number, it most likely is him. The cover does mention him as pianist on 3 Wanda Freeman Gospel Soloist songs: "Sweepin Through The City; Peace Be Still; and Get Right Church.

I hesitate to criticize, but I think that sounds really bad. I have a raw version of that same recording that has a lot of hiss and noise and is extremely boosted on the high end with little or no bass - and it sounds a whole lot more natural than this "clean-up." I know CarpentersCollector has been a member here and I respect the attempt, but really, it sounds like a bad cell-phone connection.

This was my attempt at making the recording sound a little better:

Last edited:
I hesitate to criticize, but I think that sounds really bad. I have a raw version of that same recording that has a lot of hiss and noise and is extremely boosted on the high end with little or no bass - and it sounds a whole lot more natural than this "clean-up." I know CarpentersCollector has been a member here and I respect the attempt, but really, it sounds like a bad cell-phone connection.

This was my attempt at making the recording sound a little better:

Yeah, this a lot better. The version posted by the OP is pinched and NR'd to death. No life to it at all. Thanks, Harry and the attempt is much appreciated, CarpentersCollector.

Ed

At 19, Karen is 2-3 years away from vocal prowess. Also, this type of stage environment is not intimate in the least bit. Ed describes it best as Glee-like. As an enthusiast, I enjoy the deep dive into our Duo’s musical legend.

At 19, Karen is 2-3 years away from vocal prowess.

Not even that when you think about it. They started recording the Tan album, including For All We Know, in late 1970. One of her best lead vocals. The difference between that recording and this one is night and day.

For All We Know is a favorite of mine too. Right you are. I was thinking more in line of release dates. This was released January 1971 and was recorded November 11, 1970.

Back
Top Bottom