• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Andrew Gold, R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

http://www.undercover.fm/news/14973-andrew-gold-dies-from-heart-attack-at-59
Andrew Gold Dead From Heart Attack At 59

Singer / songwriter Andrew Gold has died at the age of 59 from a heart attack.

Gold was best known for his 1977 hit ‘Lonely Boy’ and 1978’s ‘Thank You For Being A Friend’, the later became the theme for the hit TV series The Golden Girls that ran from 1985-1992.

Gold continued in TV, He was the vocals for the theme song for ‘Mad About You’ known as ‘Final Frontier’.

Andrew Gold was born in Burbank. His mother Marni Nixon was the singing voice for many Hollywood actresses. She was the real singer for Natalie Wood in ‘West Side Story’, Deborah Kerr in ‘The King And I’ and Audrey Hepburn in ‘My Fair Lady’. His father Ernest Gold was an Academy Award winning composer. He wrote the music for ‘Exodus’.
Gold’s first band Bryndle featured Kenny Edwards, Wendy Waldman and Karla Bonoff. He worked closely with Linda Ronstadt as multi-instrumentalist on five of her albums from 1974’s ‘Heart Like A Wheel’ and onwards.

His big hit ‘Lonely Boy’ was featured in the movies ‘Boogie Nights’ and ‘The Waterboy’.
Andrew Gold worked with Art Garfunkel on the ‘Breakaway’ album. He played every instrument on Art’s solo hit ‘I Only Have Eyes For You’. He also played guitar and drums on Eric Carmen’s ‘She Did It’.

Andrew has sung on records or played live with three of the four Beatles, Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Ringo Starr and has toured with the Eagles and Jackson Browne.
A big 10CC fan, after the band broke up in the 80’s Gold formed Wax with Graham Goldman. They were together for 5 years and delivered the hits ‘Right Between Your Eyes’ and ‘Bridge To Your Heart’.

-- Dave

I've edited Dave's post to include the obit as oppose to a link, which is what we try to do here at A&M Corner, so you don't have to navigate away from the Corner to see what's going on. Please make a note of it.

Bryndle reunited to tour and record in the fall of 1995. Their first show was in Asheville, NC, and the second at the Bijou Theater in Knoxville TN, which I attended. The audience was small, because although the members were well known, the group wasn't. Two CDs, the first one self-titled and the second, 'HOUSE OF SILENCE', followed.
An A&M single, "Woke Up"/ "Let's Go Home" (#1252), was released, but Bryndle's first album (SP 4278) was not.
Very sad news.

That's very sad. I remember the first time I heard "Lonely Boy." I had just started selling music the year before it came out, so I was pretty much up on all the current tunes....but one day this friend of mine came in to the store raving about this new song, "Lonely Boy," which I hadn't heard of.

A couple of days later this same friend and I took a trip to Billings and we had the local "top 40" station blasting, as usual. At some point the now-familiar piano intro started to play, my friend hollered "THIS IS IT!!!" and we cranked up the radio. I loved the song instantly and it's still one of my favorite songs of the '70s.

The album cover of What's Wrong With This Picture is one of the coolest covers from that era, too by the way!

Bryndle reunited to tour and record in the fall of 1995. Their first show was in Asheville, NC, and the second at the Bijou Theater in Knoxville TN, which I attended. The audience was small, because although the members were well known, the group wasn't. Two CDs, the first one self-titled and the second, 'HOUSE OF SILENCE', followed.
An A&M single, "Woke Up"/ "Let's Go Home" (#1252), was released, but Bryndle's first album (SP 4278) was not.
Very sad news.

Interesting Jim!

The song Genevieve from his 1979 Asylum album ‘All this and heaven too ’ an underrated piece of art of this versatile musician, producer and songwriter.
Very sad news indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom