• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎷 AotW: Jazz Andy Summers - GREEN CHIMNEYS: THE MUSIC OF THELONIOUS MONK

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Andy Summers
GREEN CHIMNEYS: THE MUSIC OF THELONIOUS MONK
RCA/Victor
517s7nMZOyL._SX300_.jpg

Released 1999

Produced by Andy Summers and Eddie King

Songs:

1. Green Chimneys - 5:59
2. Hackensack - 4:37
3. Brilliant Corners - 3:32
4. Monk's Dream - 3:56
5. 'Round Midnight (Bernie Hanighen/Thelonious Monk/Cootie Williams) - 5:43
6. Bemsha Swing (Denzil Best/Thelonious Monk) - 4:58
7. Shuffle Boil - 5:32
8. Boo Boo's Birthday - 3:19
9. Evidence - 4:15
10. Ugly Beauty - 5:16
11. Think Of One - 4:10
12. Light Blue/Rhythm-a-ning - 3:20
13. Ruby My Dear - 2:54

All compositions by Thelonious Monk except where indicated
Musicians:
Andy Summers - Guitar, Banjo, Dobro
Dave Carpenter - Upright & Electric Basses
Peter Erskine - Drums
Bernie Dresel - Drums (8, 12)
Joey de Francesco - Hammond B-3 Organ
Hank Roberts - Cello
Steve Tavaglione - Soprano & Tenor Sax, Clarinet
Walt Fowler - Trumpet
Sting - Vocals (5)

Recorded by Eddie King at Megatrax, Hollywood, CA, Haunted House, Venice Beach, CA and Il Palagio, Florence, Italy
Mixed by Eddie King at Megatrax
Recorded Sept - Nov 1998
Mastered by Steve Hall at Future Disc, Los Angeles
Art Direction, Photography & Design: Norman Moore
Liner Notes by Andy Summers

Available at Amazon.com (with song samples): http://www.amazon.com/Green-Chimney...binding_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1394231825&sr=1-1

Capt. Bacardi

Andy Summers always seemed to be in the background with the Police, only on occasion opening up with some maniacal playing ("Demolition Man", for example). So it was interesting to listen to how he approached the music of Thelonious Monk on this album. It is kind of a mixed bag. At times he can conjure up John Scofield sounds, such as on "Brilliant Corners" and "Bemsha Swing". But most of the time he stays with his minimalist approach, with an occasional nod to swing, as on "Monk's Dream" and the exceptional "Boo Boo's Birthday" (my favorite cut). He even gets a bit of a Police sound on "Light Blue". As a whole, though, the album doesn't really flow. It's not helped out by Sting's reading of "'Round Midnight", which really doesn't go anywhere. But it's nice to know that Summers isn't afraid to take chances.

Capt. Bacardi

Summers always makes interesting albums even if, as you say, they often don't hit all the marks. I've liked World Gone Strange, especially the quieter, moody piece "Bacchante". The opening track is also very Metheny-esque, down to a piano solo in the style of Lyle Mays. That album is just offbeat enough that I enjoy it.

Summers in The Police always came across more as an atmospheric type of performance, filling in wide swaths of color and tonality. Before I knew the group, I always thought they were a quartet, not a trio, which is to his credit. Granted some of the layers were done through overdubs, but if you've ever seen any of their concert videos, you can witness him creating his own sheets of sound while Sting and Stewart Copeland provide the rhythmic anchor.

Anything with Sting IMHO doesn't really go anywhere--his track would be an instant skip for me. He was great in The Police but in my older years, his solo albums (save some of Blue Turtles and some scattered tracks across the others) have fallen off of my radar. Symphonicities is one of the worst albums ever recorded, in my opinion...Police songs do not translate to a symphony, not with the clumsy approach taken for that album. Look at how much different (and better) Peter Gabriel's New Blood came out--the works pay tribute to the originals while also claiming their own unique identity through reimagined arrangements. Even if Peter can't quite hit all those high notes anymore. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom