• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Another New Compilation to be released on June 21??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actorman

According to musictap.net there is a series of 2-disc "Chronicles" CD collections to be released on June 21 and one of them is of the Carpenters. The other artists mentioned as part of this first slate of releases are Rod Stewart, Styx, Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd, B.B. King and Marvin Gaye.

I wonder if this is Universal's version of Sony/BMG's "Essential" series? I haven't seen information on this anywhere else.

It just seems strange to me that they would release another double-disc compilation barely a year after the release of "Gold." Especially since that was such an excellent and comprehensive set.

Maybe they will surprise us with another unreleased (or rare) track or two!! That would be worth the price of yet another CD of songs I already have on 5 other discs. Of course, it could just be "Gold" repackaged a la Yesterday Once More/A&M Classics Vol. 2. That would just piss me off!!

Does anyone have any other "scoop" on this?

Scott

This set will simply be the existing 'Remastered Classics' CD's of 'Close To You' 'Carpenters' and 'A Song For You' packaged together in a slipcase box. Similar to what Sony has been doing for years.

Scott B

Thanks for reminding me of that Scott. I think I'd heard that somewhere... :wink:

Harry

The only thing with Sony is that they do this with titles that are going out of print. To use Earth Wind & Fire as an example, Sony uses the 3-CD box set to dump the outdated CDs in order to bring out remasters. I believe they did this with Santana, Miles Davis, etc. as well.

This is probably just a marketing ploy on Universal's part--if it's a bargain price, it will be a good way for casual Carpenters fans to start building a collection. Getting three good CDs in one package, at a great price, is a very attractive purchase.

I think Rudy hit the nail on the head. With the success of the Gold 2 CD set I think Universal is trying to attract the casual fan with a 3 CD set at probably a lower price than if the CD's were purchased seperately.

Scott B

How strange to issue 3 key early Carpenters albums as a 3 CD set ...ideally Universal /A&M have included original artwork , lyrics & liner notes as originally issued & not the 1998 /1999 Re-Masters sets that were poorly released .... :)

Presumably if this set sells well & is positively received ....further Carpenters Chronicles sets will be issued in 2006 :?:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom