• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Another Reissue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
While surfing this afternoon, I located a site devoted to upcoming Jazz Releases. It mentioned the September release of a "remastered" FOOL ON THE HILL. The CD will appear on the A&M label.

Very interesting!!

Could this be another in Verve's line-up of Mendes CDs? If so, I wonder if his entire catalogue will eventually see the "domestic" light of day! :?:

Jon

It would be interesting to see if they use the same remastering as the Japan CD. IMHO, they've had two releases and still haven't released a good sounding one. Both the cheap Rebound and the newer Japan CD use noise reduction. Big no-no in my book. The Japan CD isn't as bad, but it is still lifeless and closed-in sounding. Odd, since the other Verve reissues and other Japan CDs don't have this. If this new one is done as more or less a straight transfer, I'll buy it. Otherwise... :shake:

At the rate UMG is releasing them here, it will be the year 2016 or so before all the Mendes would be released in the US. :wink:

Verve's web spot lists FOTH for a Sept. 28th release in their LP reproductiion series. Another interesting release-Oct. 12th sees the US version of the Claus Ogerman collection,A MAN AND HIS MUSIC-I wonder if this is the box set(which is titled THE MAN BEHIND THE MUSIC) or a single CD comp? Mac

Got mine this weekend (only six months after reissue). Haven't had a chance to take a critical listen.

BTW, does anyone know if Equinox is still out there? I would have expected to find it, too but didn't (though there are still some copies of Look Around...reissues 5 years ago!....in the bins).

---Michael Hagerty

Amazon.com says they have only 3 EQUINOX's left (but more on the way). It's still available, in other words.

Doesn't the packageing say something about "available until (some date)?" I don't have mine here to look at it.

Mike: FOTH does have an "available to" date...it's 2007 ("Look Around" didn't have one).

Sure hoping Verve will continue with Crystal Illusions, Ye-Me-Le, Stillness, Pais Tropical and Primal Roots!

---Michael Hagerty

Mike Blakesley said:
Amazon.com says they have only 3 EQUINOX's left (but more on the way). It's still available, in other words.

Doesn't the packageing say something about "available until (some date)?" I don't have mine here to look at it.

I believe it did. It may have been on the paper "end cap" (similar to an OBI strip) they used.

The mastering on the three Verve titles is top notch, by the way...the Japan versions have noticeable brick-wall limiting and have some noise reduction thrown in. The Verves seem to be pretty much straight transfers, with maybe just a bit of EQ (as any mastering does). Surprising, since some of Universal's mastering hasn't had the best of track records.

Rudy said:
Mike Blakesley said:

I believe it did. It may have been on the paper "end cap" (similar to an OBI strip) they used.

Yep. It's on the Obi strip as being available until May 2005 - so get those orders in - it's going OOP in two months!

Harry

EQUINOX is also still avalable through the BMG record club. You may not think of a record club for limited releases,but they have carried many of these Verve titles as well as BlueNote's Connoisseur series. Mac

Whew! Made it! Got Equinox for a birthday present!

Now to lobby for Crystal Illusions to be re-mastered and re-released....

---Michael Hagerty

One thing to remember: it will "officially" be out of print, but stock will still be available at any store or distributor that chooses to carry it while supplies last. This could be a matter of weeks or months. Best not to take chances and miss out, but on the other hand, it's not like they're on a timer and will disappear suddenly at the end of May.

I've put my Brasil '66 CDs on CD-R and stashed the originals safely away.

If I had to guess, the next reissue would be either "Herb Alpert Presents" or "Crystal Illusions", based on popularity.

Herb Alpert Presents would be a great one if done right. I have the original album on A&M which sounds lika so so, but I have Mas Que Nada on a demonstration album manufactured for Shure (Used to demonstrate Shure cartridges) and the song just jumps out at you. Great quality. Great highs and floor rattling lows. I know CDs cannot deliver the same frequency response as records but there is obviously some great quality on the original tape or this remaster by Shure could not have been made to sound so great.
I noticed the picture on the Sergio Mendes discography Herb Alpert Presents was issued by Mobile Fidelity so I assume that release sounds great.

The MFSL HERB ALPERT PRESENTS SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66 does indeed sound wonderful, and unlike anything that's come out on CD. It's like listening to the master tape.

Harry

Harry said:
The MFSL HERB ALPERT PRESENTS SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66 does indeed sound wonderful, and unlike anything that's come out on CD. It's like listening to the master tape.

Harry

The MFSL LP even beats the 2001 Japan CD, which was mastered on the loud side. My guess is that it is probably a generation away from the original A&M masters (since A&M would likely not send their originals overseas, which is quite typical for overseas releases actually).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom