🎷 AotW: CTI Antonio Carlos Jobim: Stone Flower (CTI Records CTI 6002)

All the CTI releases
1673326551362.pngAntonio Carlos Jobim: Stone Flower

CTI Records CTI 6002
Released 1970
  • A1 - Tereza My Love 4:20
  • A2 - Children's Games 3:25
  • A3 - Choro 2:05
  • A4 - Brazil 7:19
  • B1 - Stone Flower 3:18
  • B2 - Amparo 3:35
  • B3 - Andorinha 3:30
  • B4 - God And The Devil In The Land Of The Sun 2:20
  • B5 - Sabia 3:55
Bass – Ron Carter
Design [Album] – Tony Lane
Drums – Joao Palma
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
Flute, Soloist – Hubert Laws
Guitar, Arranged By, Conductor – Eumir Deodato
Percussion – Airto Moreira, Everaldo Ferreira
Photography By – Pete Turner
Piano, Electric Piano, Vocals, Guitar – Antonio Carlos Jobim
Producer – Creed Taylor
Soprano Saxophone, Soloist – Joe Farrell (tracks: B4)
Trombone, Soloist – Urbie Green
Violin, Soloist – Harry Lookofsky (tracks: B1)
Original green label issue

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios June 1970.

Amazon product ASIN B00005Y43Z

This has to be among the top 10, or arguably top 5, of the records CTI released. Creed Taylor's production values are clearly in place here, yet the music itself is very uncharacteristic of CTI at this point. Where other albums by Freddie Hubbard, Stanley Turrentine, Deodato, George Benson, Joe Farrell, etc. explored long-form jazz with an extended groove and soloing, this one was assembled like a collection of tone poems.

What surprised me was when I discovered that these recording sessions produced both the lackluster Tide album and this masterpiece. The 3000-series obviously got the table scraps from these sessions with Tide. The title track itself is the epitomy of laziness--everything from its noodly ripoff of the melody and chord progressions of "Wave" down to its ocean-themed title. One wonders if it was some sort of inside joke, or just an experiment that was not intended for release. Most of the others songs at best are interesting background music, with only "Tema Jazz" ("jazz theme") working up some excitement, especially in its unreleased long version (the 8-minute master take available on one of Verve's reissues.

Stone Flower is the quiet, moody side of those sessions. It's like the darker, more introspective counterpoint to Wave. The melodies from Wave are memorable as well, but there's just something about the mood of this record that makes it even more special. That doesn't seem to make Wave any less special, as it has a distinctive appeal based on its presentation of shorter, more pop-friendly arrangements that work well with the memorable melodies. Wave also has the advantage of Claus Ogerman's arrangements, which I've always found more interesting than Deodato's (Ogerman can say more with less).

Stone Flower has this characteristic where, in a sense, you are almost afraid to speak or make a noise during these songs. Most of the songs are quiet and the instrumentation is sparse. Even the upbeat "Brazil" and "Sabia" are done with a feather-light touch. The title track seems to be the only place where a lot of energy is released and to a lesser extent, the dark "God and the Devil in the Land of the Sun," yet the latter still seems to have a fragile characteristic due to its brevity and the way it tails off abruptly at the end. (Santana covered both of these melodies in his version of "Stone Flower" which is surprisingly faithful to Jobim's recording--you can hear him copy the lick of melody from "God and the Devil..." in the early moments of the song.)

For such a simple sounding record on first listen, there are many depths that are revealed on continued listening. Tide, in comparison, is one-dimensional in comparison--it's pleasant enough, but only occasionally engaging to the level of Stone Flower. It still amazes me that both came from the same recording dates.

Santana's version of "Stone Flower" from his mostly-instrumental album Caravanserai:

On these pages and others, I'd read heaps of praises about Jobim's STONE FLOWER but had never bothered to investigate it. As I continued my exploration of the A&M/CTi albums, this one again cropped up a lot in discussions. So curiosity got the better of me and I sought out an early CD release of the album, coming up with a Columbia Jazz version that had a bonus track of an alternate take of "Brazil".

I like "Double Rainbow" and "Brazil" a lot along with the title track, "Olha Maria" and "Sabia".

I think I discovered it more as a curiosity about 20 years ago, not even really paying attention to the label or year it was recorded in. But later on, the connection between his three CTI albums made sense.

Forgot to mention that the reissue CD I have sounds quite good, and the high-res version is a bit better. For vinyl, I had the Speakers Corner version but the record had some horrible compression on it that wasn't on any other version I'd ever heard, so it only got one play. The two-LP 45 RPM set from ORG is sublime...but good luck finding one now that isn't outrageously priced. (Mine was gently used, and a bargain at that.)

Fine LP all around. I'm still partial to Tide, however (simply because it's an A&M/CTi...so I WANT to like it) but, I do concede when I remove the A&M rose-colored glasses -- and in relation to Stone Flower -- a few of the selections do seem as though they were previously picked over. Then there is the issue with the openers to both sides, which, even as a high school student (when I bought it in '81) I wasn't that hip on...

I think Wave was the first one I bought--I'd seen it for years on those A&M innersleeves, and when the SP-9-3000 series reissues came out, I saw it in the bin and immediately grabbed it. Yeah, I do kind of get on Tide a bit, but I don't think it ever really grew on me like Wave did. It was OK but didn't have that same special something that kept drawing me back to Wave. I believe Tide came along in the second wave of the reissues. I kept hoping there would be a third wave so the Tamba 4 record would be reissued, but it never happened. It took me until the 90s to finally find first a used reel tape (which was lacking) and then a very clean used LP.

Ogerman's brooding strings on The Red Blouse coda still give me goose bumps nearly 45 years in now
I've found that to be true of other strings that Ogerman has arranged for. This one immediately comes to mind, and you only need to hear the first 30 seconds or so. Although his work throughout is perfect throughout the song.

That is a certain "magic" that Deodato's arrangements, while still very good, do not touch on. Ogerman would have made a great film composer. Mancini has had quite a few goosebump moments in his scores, as have others.

I think Wave was the first one I bought--I'd seen it for years on those A&M innersleeves, and when the SP-9-3000 series reissues came out, I saw it in the bin and immediately grabbed it. Yeah, I do kind of get on Tide a bit, but I don't think it ever really grew on me like Wave did. It was OK but didn't have that same special something that kept drawing me back to Wave. I believe Tide came along in the second wave of the reissues. I kept hoping there would be a third wave so the Tamba 4 record would be reissued, but it never happened. It took me until the 90s to finally find first a used reel tape (which was lacking) and then a very clean used LP.
I like both Wave and Tide equally for years Tide eluded me even during the 80s reissues but in 2001 when I became aware of Tide being available on Cd again I immediately made a special order for it now I agree it wasn't quite the Wave sequel I was anticipating however there were several standouts which was Good I got stone flower a decade later and it kind of sounded very similar to Tide except different now that I know Tide and stone flower were culled from the same sessions it made sense to have both albums to make it complete and I still listen to Wave often as it was my first Jobim album and my first vintage vinyl copy was overplayed on a cruddy worn needle over the years but thankfully it was one of the first albums I replaced on CD Mine being the A&M Jazz series from the late 80s

Back
Top Bottom