🎷 AotW: CTI Bob James: Two (CTI Records CTI 6057)

All the CTI releases
1709770870380.pngBob James: Two

CTI Records CTI 6057
Released 1975

A1: Take Me To The Mardi Gras / 5:50​
A2: I Feel A Song (In My Heart) / 5:26​
A3: The Golden Apple / 7:20​
B1: Farandole / 8:24​
B2: You're As Right As Rain / 5:29​
B3: Dream Journey / 5:57​

⭐ Arranged By, Conductor – Bob James
Bass – Eric Gale
Cello – Alan Shulman, Alla Goldberg, Tony Sophos*, George Ricci, Jesse Levy, Seymour Barab, Warren Lash
Clarinet – Eddie Daniels
Drums – Andrew Smith
⭐ Electric Piano, Clavinet, Synthesizer [Arp Odyssey], Organ [Yamaha Yc30] – Bob James
French Horn – Al Richmond, Jimmy Buffington*, Peter Gordon
Guitar – Eric Gale (tracks: A1, A2, B1), Richie Resnicoff (tracks: A3, B2)
Percussion – Arthur Jenkins, Ralph MacDonald
Producer – Creed Taylor
Trombone – Eddie Bert, Tom Mitchell, Tony Studd, Wayne Andre
Trumpet, Flugelhorn – John Frosk, Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm, Randy Brecker, Victor Paz
Violin – Charles Libove, David Nadien, Emanuel Green, Gene Orloff, Harold Kohon, Harry Cykman,
Harry Glickman, Harry Lookofsky, Joe Malin, Matthew Raimondi, Max Ellen, Paul Gershman
Vocal [Soloist] - Patti Austin (track: A2)
Vocals [Group] – Frank Floyd, Lani Groves, Patti Austin, Zachary Sanders

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios, December 1974, January 1975

Was introduced to Bob James music after I purchased Maynard Ferguson's
"Primal Scream" LP upon release in 1976. BJ produced and performed on the album and it really feels like a BJ album with Maynard as a soloist.

Never owned "2", however started with Three and had most everything he released for the following 10 years.

Sill searching for a great sounding CD issue of "Touchdown".

I have this one too on CD mine is a Warner/ Tappan zee Reissue from the 90s my two favorites from this are "You're as Right as Rain". Which got a lot of airplay on Easy listening and Smooth jazz radio stations where I've lived over the years and "Dream Journey". I still enjoy this album along with all the other classic period Bob James albums I own on CD and that almost everything from Bob James One to Grand Piano Canyon.other than the Earl klugh collaborations and his album with David Sanborn I lost track afterwards.

That Idris Muhammad album Power of Soul has a very similar feel to it. Despite his "soul jazz" style of drumming, this album on Kudu would have been more at home on CTI proper. It's a classic in soul jazz circles but outside of that, not many have heard it. (Bob James wrote one of the four tracks, and did arrangements.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom