🎷 AotW: CTI Bob James: Three (CTI Records CTI 6063)

All the CTI releases
1712324237727.pngBob James: Three
Guest: Grover Washington, Jr.

CTI Records CTI 6063
Released 1976

Later reissued on Tappan Zee Records
as FC 36837

A1: One Mint Julep 9:04​
A2: Women Of Ireland 8:00​
B1: Westchester Lady 7:23​
B2: Storm King 6:33​
B3: Jamaica Farewell 5:21​

⭐ Arranged By, Conductor – Bob James
Bass – Gary King (tracks: A1, A2, B3)
Bass Trombone – Dave Taylor
Bass Trombone, Tuba – Dave Bargeron
Cello – Alan Shulman, Charles McCracken
Drums – Harvey Mason (tracks: A2 to B3)
Flute – Hubert Laws, Jerry Dodgion
Flute, Tenor Saxophone – Eddie Daniels
Guitar – Eric Gale (tracks: A2 to B2), Hugh McCracken (tracks: A2 to B2)
Harp – Gloria Agostini
⭐ Keyboards – Bob James
Percussion – Ralph MacDonald
Producer – Creed Taylor
Tenor Saxophone, Tin Whistle – Grover Washington, Jr.
Trombone – Wayne Andre
Trumpet – John Frosk, Jon Faddis, Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm
Viola – Al Brown*, Manny Vardi*
Violin – David Nadien, Emanuel Green, Frederick Buldrini, Harold Kohon, Harry Cykman, Lewis Eley, Matthew Raimondi, Max Ellen

Recorded 1976 at Van Gelder Studios

Last edited:
"Westchester Lady" was a mainstay on our jazz radio station's playlist, especially throughout the latter half of the 70s.

This was the album that turned me on to Bob James.

In the summer of '76, purchased Maynard Ferguson's "Primal Scream" which, at least to me, seems to be Bob James album with Maynard as the featured soloist. Shortly after I purchased BJ3 and later most of BJ's stuff for the next 10 years.

Also impressed with his work on Kenny Loggin's first solo LP "Celebrate Me Home" in 1977. Production credit on this album goes to the great Phil Ramone. however Bob is all over this album and I suspect (with all due respect to Mr. Ramone) did most of the heavy lifting.

On Loggin's second solo release production credit went to Bob James.

In the summer of '76, purchased Maynard Ferguson's "Primal Scream" which, at least to me, seems to be Bob James album with Maynard as the featured soloist.
I think that was the first Maynard album I bought. Our big band in high school played one of the charts from that record ("Pagliacci"). I just had one of Maynard's songs going through my head, but it turned out to be "Soar Like An Eagle" from Conquistador. That one is textbook Bob James.

BTW, I know I've mentioned it a lot here, but if you like Bob James, the Idris Muhammad album Power of Soul features a lot of Bob James' touches also--enough that his arranging stamp is on the work (along with some of his keyboards), but it also wouldn't be mistaken for one of his own albums. It's a nice downtempo album to end the day with.

Last edited:
I own this one on CD too along with many others I Like Westchester Lady. Women of Ireland and Storm King. Those are my standout favorites from this one.

Back
Top Bottom