• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Any Bangles fans here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy22

Recently on vacation I picked up the CD - "The Essential Bangles" I really enjoyed reconnecting with this group. My favorite group is the Carpenters but I have also recently rediscovered my enjoyment of the Bangles. I also bought their "Everything" CD and enjoy it. Question - I read recently where they reunited and did another album called - "The doll revolution"
I read some reviews on line about this album - some people liked it - others absolutely did not. I am thinking of ordering it - I believe I can only get it as an import for a pretty hefty price. I guess it wasn't released in the USA? I am not sure why that would be?? Wondering if anyone has that album and if you think it's worth the price? I probably will get it anyway because I really like the group, but just wondering if there are any other Bangle fans out there? Tim.

The CD "The Essential Bangles" is better than "Greatest Hits" because of the sound quality!! I would like to know is Michael Steele married?? I know that the other three are. I did not like "Everything" from 1989 so I took it back. The 1984 release "All Over The Place" is excellent. The CD "Different Light" from 1986 is good but not quite as good as "All Over The Place". Susanna Hoffs 2nd solo CD from 1996 has two bonus tracks which has a countdown of 45 seconds of silence. It contains the remake of the Stealers Wheel "Stuck In The Middle With You" & the remake of Lulu "To Sir With Love". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Yes, "back in the day", my buddy and I "Walked Like An Egyptian"! :laugh: HE was the one who bought the albums, though; I thought hearing them on the radio was enough. But, Yes, The Bangles were a Good Group and one of My Favorites!! :oneeye:

Dave

...And "Eternal Flame" still makes me feel MISTY!! (Gonna have to start a thread for all you "crybabies" [Me included!] out there...!) :cry:

Before The Bangles became hit artists they did an EP for IRS subsidiary Faulty Products (later reissued on I.R.S. proper). You can read about their early history on my site.

Bangles Page at Mr Bill's I.R.S. Corner

The EP:
sp70506.jpg

Enjoy!

--Mr Bill

I agree that the Bangles were a great group, but at the same time, I think they slowly inched more and more towards "jumping the shark" with each successive album. "All Over the Place" is definitely their best album, and that they didn't score a single Top 40 hit from it is really pathetic ("Going Down to Liverpool" is one of the greatest singles of the '80s that never charted); "Different Light", I'm a little less keen on, if only because radio plays "Manic Monday" way too friggin' much and "Walk Like an Egyptian" I've always thought sounded more like a novelty song than a straight pop record - I thought it undermined their credibility a tad; "If She Knew ..." and "Walking Down Your Street" are fantastic singles, though; and "Everything" is too short on sticks-in-your-head-afterwards songs for my tastes, and "Eternal Flame," as beautiful as the song is, has way too overblown a production. I'd love to hear a stripped-down version.

Well, "Manic Monday" always had a Go-Go's-like feel to it. I think The Bangles wanted to be reminiscent of the old "Girl Group's of the '60's"!

And they edged out not only The Go-Go's, but even Belinda Carlisle's con-current solo career. And newcomers like Banarama never stood a chance!

Looks like we had a "supergroup" here! :agree: :goodie: :winkgrin:

Dave

...But "supergroups" never are... :shake: :| :wink:

Dave said:
And they edged out not only The Go-Go's, but even Belinda Carlisle's con-current solo career. And newcomers like Banarama never stood a chance!

Perhaps you should add "in the US" to your last remark. Bananarama was very successful in Europe, and even made the "Guiness Book of World Records" in 1988 as the "most successful all-girl group", for having the most consecutive top-twenty hits. In terms of worldwide sales by girl groups, they come in third place, behind only the Supremes and the Spice Girls.

Murray

All this talk about the Bangles prompted me to dig through my boxes of old VHS tapes. I finally found my tape of Bangles videos. I had totally forgotten how cute Susanna Hoffs was! :love:

The music's pretty good too! :wink: :D

Murray
...who's favorite Bangles songs are "Hero Takes A Fall", and "Going Down To Liverpool"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom