• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Any Hubert Laws Fans Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartyRico

Are there any Hubert Laws fans here? I like his music a lot. In particular his "Rite of Spring" album on A&M/CTI, and his later "Crying Song". I think he is one of the best flutists around. On "ROS" Airto Moreira plays an important part with his incredible percussion parts.

A while back I bought his album Morning Star on CTi... some cuts were nice, with a lot of Laws originals IIRC, but it mostly was a tiresome outing. Too much noodling Bob James. Laws is an excellent jazz flutist in his own right- I enjoy all his solos on the A&M/CTi albums I own.

His classical experiments are interesting, like the cover of Debussy's "Syrinx," which I believe has Laws overdubbed a couple times. Unfortunately, Rite of Spring was a low seller in the CTi canon and, to many people, marked the decline of the label in general.

I've been listening to Hubert Laws since my introduction to jazz via Philly radio in the mid-1960s. "Bloodshot" was a popular soul-jazz song that got pretty decent airplay in it's time. I have to admit,though,I'd be hard pressed to identify Laws in a blindfold test,but his playing has been impeccable,probably due to his classical training. It was just in the last year or so,upon receiving the CD rerelease of the Jazz Crusaders' CHILE CON SOUL,that I discovered that Hubert grew up with the four core members of the Crusaders:Joe Sample,Wayne Henderson,Wilton Felder and Stix Hooper. In fact,those four and Hubert(and probably that always elusive bass player)played professionally as the Modern Jazz Sextet on the West Coast in the late '50s. BTW,CHILE CON SOUL is still in print and is a fine latin jazz album. Quite frankly,by the time of of Hubert's CTI days,I'd lost interest. A couple of guilty pleasures ,though,featuring Laws,come in the form of soundtracks. He plays on the Claude Bolling CALIFORNIA SUITE and on Patrick Williams' HOW TO BEAT THE HIGH COST OF LIVING(with Earl Klugh). Strange,but while doing some Google research,I just saw that he was supposed to be down the Jersey shore this last weekend(just a few hours away from here),playing in a Herbie Mann tribute at the Cape May Jazz Festival. And earlier this year he played on Eddie Del Barrio's Mass. Still going strong in his mid-60s as others contemplate retirement.Mac

Hubert Laws' Morning Star is an album I also had, to hear a favorite guitarist of mine who played on it, and to my suprise it was not the best place to hear him--or Laws! :shake:

I had Crying Song, too--which may have been scheduled to be an A&M/CTi, but never materialized there... Hubert also appeared on Herbie Mann's Glory Of Love, performing "flute-duets" and I think an album of his, Flute By-Laws is worth seeking out...

Also look (and Listen!) for him to appear on Lenny White's Venusian Summer--an excellent place to hear him on at least one song! :agree:

Dave

For me, it's always been Afro Classic that comes to mind when Hubert Laws is mentioned. Yes, I suppose it's at least as much a Don Sebesky album, but Laws is clearly the leader here, and the settings crafted for him by Sebesky are a true fusion, a genuine melding of forms and styles that seems to transcend mere riffing on a classical progression. Witness too, the complete reworkings of Fire and Rain and Love Story. Amazing stuff, even 35 years later.

Toss in flawless musicianship esp. of course Laws' effortless, inventive soloing, add a dollop or two of interesting instrumentation (Ron Carter's electric cello, Dave Friedman's fuzz-pedal vibes, and--I know I'll take hits for this--nicely voiced, restrained, perfectly placed Fender Rhodes from Bob James), and propel it all along subtly but swingingly with the superb drumming of the perenially underappreciated Freddie Waits--wellsir, you've got a genuine (Afro) classic, is what you've got.

Oh, and Pete Turner! If you've got the original gatefold record jacket, just sit and contemplate Turner's work here while playing the album. Talk about complementary..

Hey Al.

Well, you won't get a hit against Bob James from me. I think he's a great pianist, despite his $mooth stuff in the late '70s up to now. When I mentioned too much noodling from him in Morning Star, I meant that some of his solos just seem to wander off, just turning around on themselves, and getting a little boring as a result.

I think James has always nuanced his electric piano well, and he was definitely an excellent accompanist, always giving the other players plenty of room. (Time to start another Bob James thread, methinks... :wink: )

Yeah those Pete Turner covers were astounding photo works. He is still among my favortite photographers. Jim McCrary is fantastic as well.
I love the sound of the Fender Rhodes and Bob James is a good player. I like some of his classical playing as well.
Afro-Classic is the one title I could not recall, and is definitely one of his best. Hubert is a wonderful musician. If any of you don't have "Glory of Love" by Herbie Mann, get it. You will not be dissapointed. Eric Gale, Grady Tate , and a fantastic vibes player whose name eludes me right now, tear up the recording studio with some real swinging music.
You all know your music!

The vibist that I think you're thinking of on Herbie Mann's Glory Of Love album, is none-other than Roy Ayers!! The solo on Herbie's remake of The Box Tops' song, "The Letter", is one of his Best Moments!

Look for Roy to also appear on other albums of Mann's works, such as Memphis Underground...

I think Ayers even appeared on a song by the late-Rick James that I had on a Compilaiton of on a cassette; I remember a vibraphone solo, and a "crowd" in the studio going: ...Go Roy!, Go, Roy!... during it...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom