any tjb live recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

hello people,how you all doing today, my question is I know the tjb did many concert back in the 60's, so where any of the taped live? becasue I like to hear the different musical arrangments the only one there was the brass are coming, the sound stage one they did on the A&M sound, but where there any more, becasue I would like to get a live recording.
thanks
bob papp

The only live Herb Alpert that I know of is the Hugh Masekela/ Herb Alpert "Main Event Live" album. (Was that ever out on CD???)
Other than that, I am unaware of any TJB or solo Alpert live stuff having ever been released.
But I am NOT POSITIVE. :confused:
Somebody else may know more.
PS- I was at that live concert in LA in '78 at the Roxy- it was very cool.

My fellow San Fernando Valley-ite Steven J. Gross said:
The only live Herb Alpert that I know of is the Hugh Masekela/ Herb Alpert "Main Event Live" album. (Was that ever out on CD???)

Nope.

Other than that, I am unaware of any TJB or solo Alpert live stuff having ever been released.

None were released, though the Japanese version of Second Wind (and I believe the DVD US version) carried a live rendition of "The Lonely Bull" which is quite different than what we're used to hearing.

In any case I'm sure there's live material somewhere (probably in Herb's garage) because A&M routinely recorded their acts live, it seems at least once during each tour. I know some folks here have bootlegs of some of that stuff as well, though sound quality on a "snuck-in-to-the-concert" cassette deck of the day is less than superb!

PS- I was at that live concert in LA in '78 at the Roxy- it was very cool.

Steve, we have to stop NOT meeting like this! I was there as well! Front table right in front of Mosa Jonas Gwangwa (I was sitting next to A&M staff photog Bonnie Schiffman to my right and my date, Tracy J to my left). Big night for a 17-year-old Mr Bill, as it was my first concert, first date with Tracy (sadly the last) and the first day I had a car wreck (no -- that's not the reason I didn't have another date with her)... Anyway, as they say, "Small World!" (Especially if you know Tracy!)

--Mr Bill
who likes to believe he's the last person to stop clapping as "Kalahari Nights" starts...

Hi Bob!

Herb recorded the reformed TJB at The Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, Connecticut when he played for a week here in 1974. The tapes have to be sitting around somewhere. Perhaps my friend Barry Korkin would have known. But now Herb has had everything from A&M back in his possession for a while.

I always suspected that there was an original TJB recording from Carnegie Hall, but have yet to find anything definite about it.

DAN BOLTON said:
CONEY ISLAND has a "live" feel to it...more than any of the other albums.

Dan
The last TJB TV special, from 1974, is almost entirely a live concert, with totally different versions of many songs from the Coney Island album and earlier. It opens with a live version of "Vento Bravo" that is MUCH better than the Coney Island album version. Video copies of this TV special are popping up on eBay and elsewhere.

I know for a fact that Sergio has several live recordings from concerts over the years -- recordings I'd love to see the light of day! I was too young to have seen the original Brasil '66 on stage, therefore I wonder about the "live" sound of Lani/Janis vs. Lani and Karen.

As for Herb, I'm so glad that copies of the Sentry Special appear to be popping up around the Internet. I remember that special as if it was broadcast yesterday...Lani singing "Wheelers & Dealers", Herb joking around with the Muppets, the "open concept" of the sets -- giving a live concert feel. I'd love to see it again.

And, when it comes to live TJB recordings, I wonder why nothing was ever done along the lines of Sergio's Live At Expo '70? I'd say it had something to do with the TJB being highly engineered in the studio, thus their sound, but that doesn't hold water. I mean, a couple of the specials actually feature the Brass playing live -- a far departure from their studio sound.

I'm sure there's a goldmine of unreleased material out there to be had. Just a matter of time and/or impetus on the part of Herb, Sergio and others to get it out there -- something their fans would truly appreciate.

Jon

Hi folks, I have Herb's concert that took place in 1997 in Munich. It is a satellite TV rip, I put it on a CD-R, it is a soundboard recording, the focus (at least sound-wise) was on Passion Dance album (almost the same personnel) but they played almost all the TJB greatest hits. Pretty good show. Though I am not a bootlegger, just a music fan, I would like to trade it for any other Herb Alpert or TJB live recording on CD-R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom