• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Chuck Mangione - BELLAVIA (SP-4557)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Chuck Mangione
BELLAVIA

A&M SP-4557

sp4557.jpg

Released 1975
Peaked at #7 on the Jazz Charts (1976)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Chuck Mangione

Songs:
  • 1. Come Take A Ride With Me - 4:22
    2. Listen To The Wind - 6:58
    3. Carousel - 7:35
    4. Bellavia - 6:32
    5. Dance Of The Windup Toy - 5:00
    6. Torreano - 7:58

All selections written by Chuck Mangione and published by Gates Music, Inc. (BMI)

Musicians:
Chuck Mangione - Conductor, Yamaha Flugelhorn, Fender Rhodes Electric Piano, Celeste
Gerry Niewood - Soprano Saxophone, Yamaha Tenor Saxophone, Yamaha Piccolo, C Flute, Alto Flute
Joe LaBarbera - Drums, Roto Toms, Miscellaneous Percussion
Chip Jackson - Electric Bass
Kai Winding - Orchestra Personnel Coordinator
Gerald Vinci - Concert Master
Lew Soloff - Lead Trumpet
Kathryn Moses - Solo Flute (6)
Vincent DeRosa - French Horn Solo (6)

Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California
Engineer: Mick Guzauski
Assistant Engineer: Chuck Trammel
Mastered at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California by Mick Guzauski and Frank DeLuna

This album was recorded "live" in the studio without overdubs or added instrumentation.

Art Direction: Roland Young
Photography: Harry Mittman
Design: Brian Zick
Liner Notes: Chuck Mangione

Note: The song "Bellavia" won a GRAMMY for Best Instrumental Composition (Other Than Jazz) at the 1976 GRAMMY Awards.

Capt. Bacardi

I picked this album up years ago and didn't enjoy listening to it, as I've mentioned in the discussion on this in the old Jazz Album of the Week thread. Though I was a little intrigued, with the silver foil cover design of the packaging and the interesting track listing along with the liner notes about Papa Mangione and Mama Mangione, nee Bellavia. Does anyone care if this, once again, gets remastered for yet, another CD release? :yawn:

Dave

Dave said:
Does anyone care if this, once again, gets remastered for yet, another CD release? :yawn:

It's only been on CD once and has been out of print for several years. Obviously, that means that a copy of this CD goes for at least $200 on eBay.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Krayola Dave said:
Does anyone care if this, once again, gets remastered for yet, another CD release? :yawn:

It's only been on CD once and has been out of print for several years. Obviously, that means that a copy of this CD goes for at least $200 on eBay.

Capt. Bacardi

Well, in that case, I REST my case...; --Bring it On, then! :laugh:

Needless to say, my commentary quoted here...:

Dave said:
I picked this album up years ago and didn't enjoy listening to it, as I've mentioned in the discussion on this in the old Jazz Album of the Week thread. Though I was a little intrigued, with the silver foil cover design of the packaging and the interesting track listing along with the liner notes about Papa Mangione and Mama Mangione, nee Bellavia. Does anyone care if this, once again, gets remastered for yet, another CD release? :yawn:

Dave

--has just humorously been a copy-cat post of the one quoted (or rather, "Hauled Over"...!) here...:

seashorepiano said:
I picked this album up last night and enjoyed reading the discussion from an old forum thread. Now I'm a little confused, as the gold paper on the left-hand side of the package contains a different track listing from the facsimile of the original album track listing. Does anyone know if the CD was remastered and the songs were ordered differently for CD release?

-- SILVER Foil, vs. GOLD Foil, then so-to-speak...! :goofygrin:

As for getting back to this Album, itself, it is a fun concept, though sadly, I am glad I got a fairly reasonably good copy of this "On The Cheap", (For 99¢...!) as--Yeah, the "Yawn Guy"...!--this "Dedication to Mom & Pop" just didn't seem to be my cup o' tea...! :sad:

Dave

This is a rather uneven album which ranges from orchestral, funky jazz and big band. Mangione's writing isn't quite as strong as Chase The Clouds Away or any of his Mercury recordings, but there are still enough pleasant moments. The main reason to get this album is to hear the swinging big band feel of "Torreano". The horn section on this tune is terrific, as is Gerry Niewood's solo! "Listen To The Wind" is another favorite, while "Come Take A Ride With Me" is kind of on the quirky side, but features a nice Mangione solo. Unfortunately, I find "Carousel" to be a completely annoying song, and "Dance Of The Windup Toy" doesn't really go anywhere, despite Joe LaBarbera's drum solo. "Bellavia" has a lot of bravado at times, but tends to go on too long. Still, a pretty nice album. 3 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Since this one's been discussed we'll move forward to '4558' for the next AOTW,
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom