AOTW: David Liebman - Light'n Up, Please! (SP-721)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

David Liebman
Light'n Up, Please!

A&M/Horizon SP-721

sp721.jpg

Released 1977

Format: Vinyl

Produced by David Liebman, Pee Wee Ellis and John Snyder

Musicians:

David Liebman - Tenor Sax, Soprano Sax, C Flute, Alto Flute, Electric Piano, Talking Drum, Vocal, Handclaps
Pee Wee Ellis - Electric Piano, Tenor Sax, Soprano Sax, Percussion, Vocals, Handclaps
Link Chamberland - Electric Guitar
Tony Saunders - Electric Bass
Jeff Berlin - Electric Bass
Chris Hayes - Electric Guitar
Jimmy Strassburg - Drums, Percussion
Al Foster - Drums
Jumma Santos - Congas, Handclaps
Leon Thomas - Vocal
Harold Williams - Mini Moog, Electric Piano
Sonny Brown - Percussion
Richard Beirach - Acoustic Piano (8 only)

Songs:
  • 1. Light'n Up, Please! (David Liebman) 6:40
    2. Children Of The Ghetto (Eleana Steinberg, Leon Thomas, David Liebman, Pee Wee Ellis) 3:45
    3. Tranquility Of The Protective Aura (Harold Williams) 5:55
    4. The Fonz's Strut (David Liebman, Pee Wee Ellis) 5:54
    5. Got To Work (David Liebman, Pee Wee Ellis, Leon Thomas) 3:15
    6. Chicken Soup (David Liebman, Pee Wee Ellis) 3:54
    7. Exquisite Torture (David Liebman) 5:06
    8. Win Your Love (David Liebman) 1:33
    9. Slow Dance On The Killing Ground (David Liebman) 4:22

Recorded at The Record Plant, Sausalito, California, May 1976, Tom Anderson engineer and at Electric Lady Studio, NYC September 1976, Skip Juriad engineer assisted by Jerry Soloman.
Mixed at The Record Plant, November 1976, Bob Edwards engineer assisted by Eric Schilling.

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Phil Shima
Front Cover Photo: James Fee
Back Cover Photo: Benno Friedman
Additional Photos: Barbara Ellis

Management: 21st Century Management, Inc.

Note: SP-720 was supposedly also under Liebman's name as Keeper Of The Pass, according to the book of flaws.

Capt. Bacardi

Goin' Postal Cap'n B said:
Note: SP-720 was supposedly also under Liebman's name as Keeper Of The Pass, according to the book of flaws.

Heheheheheheee!

Leibman's Horizon LPs are among the jazz releases that never "clicked" with me. Now that I'm older and more mature I ought to give them another spin as soon as I get the turntable the Mrs got me last year to work right... :sad:

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Leibman's Horizon LPs are among the jazz releases that never "clicked" with me. Now that I'm older and more mature I ought to give them another spin as soon as I get the turntable the Mrs got me last year to work right... :sad:

This one is a bit more commercial than his others. I also had to redo the song list. I originally just listed the songs as they were on the back cover, but then I noticed a sticker in the upper left-hand corner saying "See record label for corrected tune sequencing". I thought there was something odd after I originally did the song list and "Fonz's Strut" sounded like a ballad instead of some type of grooving tune. It's all correct now. :cool:

Capt. Bacardi

An interesting combination of styles is on this album. Part of it is pure funk, a little pop and a little fusion that is similar to what Liebman did with Miles Davis. He gets very hip on "Fonz's Strut" and "Chicken Soup", where he gets crazy on tenor. "Slow Dance On The Killing Ground" is very Mile-ish, and Liebman gets "outside" quite a bit. Fortunately, he knows how to get back "in". :wink: An uneven album, but it has some good moments.

Capt. Bacardi

Yeah, and this one's been up two weeks longer than it oughta (okay... maybe just a week longer)...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Yeah, and this one's been up two weeks longer than it oughta (okay... maybe just a week longer)...

I kinda got real busy this week, so I'm a little behind (although there are those who say I'm a big a**! :D ).

Capt. Bacardi
...taking the easy lines from folks, online... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom