• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Flying Burrito Bros. CLOSE UP THE HONKY TONKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The Flying Burrito Brothers
1968-1972: CLOSE UP THE HONKY TONKS

A&M SP 3631

sp3631.jpg

Released in 1974

This double album features the work of Gram Parsons, Chris Hillman, Sneeky Pete Kleinow, Michael Clarke, Chris Ethridge, Bernie Leadon, Rick Roberts, Gene Clark, Al Perkins , Jon Corneal, Kenny Wertz, Byron Berline and Roger Bush. All of side four and the last three tracks of side three do not appear on another album

SIDE ONE
Hot Buritto # 2 - 3:15/ Do Right Woman - 3:56/ Wheels - 3:02/ Sin City - 4:10/ Christine's Tune - 3:02/ Hot Buritto # 1 - 3:37.

SIDE TWO
God's Own Singer - 2:04/ If You Gotta Go - 1:47/ High Fashion Queen - 2:05/ Cody, Cody - 2:43/ Wild Horses - 6:20/ Train Song - 3:04.

SIDE THREE
Close Up the Honky Tonks - 2:16/ Sing Me Back Home - 2:49/ Bony Moronie - 2:55/ To Love Somebody - 3:18/ Break My Mind - 2:20.

SIDE FOUR
Beat the Heat - 1:29/ Did You See - 3:04/ Here Tonight - 3:37/ Money Honey - 3:24/ Roll Over Beethoven - 2:21/ Wake Up Little Susie - 3:28.

Dick Bogert, album engineering and remixing (with Jim Dickson)/ Bob Garcia and Jim Bickhart, album coordination/ Joe Garnett, deisgn/ Roland Young, art direction.

JB

Good set of Burrito Bros. songs and "To Love Somebody" is a Classic! Had a one-CD set of their REAL Best Stuff, though, but the songs "exclusively available" here are really worth getting, too!

Dave

The Universal/A&M Anthology, HOT BURRITOS!,contains the first three albums,tracks from the rest,a single or two and 8 non-album tracks.
As much as I dispise what is termed "southern rock"-Lynyrd Skynrd and their ilk(and,yes,that includes .38 Special),whatever Parsons,Hillman & Co. were trying here makes so much sense. This is the real deal:"We don't need the kind of law and order that tends to keep a good man underground." Mac

I just came across a real curiosity at the local Sally-Ann: a 1978 record called Ever Call Ready (a very difficult title to remember!). It's gospel bluegrass by Chris Hillman, Al Perkins, Bernie Leadon, David Mansfield and Jerry Scheff, and it was distributed by A&M with the catalog number WR-8310. Actually, it seems to have been released under Hillman's name on A&M, but it was originally released on the hard-core Christian label Maranatha, a Word Records imprint. Good playing, with Mansfield sounding probably a bit more like Vassar Clements than would Byron Berline (correct me if I'm wrong), whom we would ordinarily see with a line-up like this.

I can understand how playing with Stephen Stills could drive people to fear for their mortal souls, but I wonder who the instigator was for this outing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom