• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Gap Mangione - DANCIN' IS MAKIN' LOVE (SP-4762)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

• * (Worst)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gap Mangione
DANCIN' IS MAKIN' LOVE

A&M SP-4762

sp4762.jpg

Released 1979

Produced by Larry Carlton

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/8-Track

Songs:
  • 1. Dancin' Is Makin' Love
    2. Girl Goodbye
    3. Takin' It Back
    4. You're The One
    5. Dreamflow
    6. I'm Home

Musicians:
Gap Mangione - Keyboards
Larry Carlton - Guitars

I don't own this LP, so if anyone has more info on this please pass it along!

Capt. Bacardi

Like Suite Lady, I only spent SECONDS on each track...!

"You're The One"... "Takin' It Back"... "Girl Goodbye"... --Don't those song-titles sound familiar? --The last-two titles appeared on the first TOTO album, which I think got recorded a year or so before Gap did this, so who knows?! :confused:

"Dancin'...", "Dreamflow", "I'm Home"--Well, typical Gap, then...

But where did he come up with that cover?! :laugh:

Dave

Here's my story: In 1978 and 1979, I hosted a talk show on WSB radio, one of the big-signal clear channel radio stations...and I believe I made the title track of this album our theme song. Gap Mangione came to our city for a concert during that era, and after saying hello to him on the air and finishing that night's broadcast, I headed to the small concert hall where he was to perform.

I was one of...five people in the audience. His group played three songs and then he slammed the keyboard and said, "thank you for coming," and stormed off the stage. Backstage, the theater manager was apologizing to him.

While I'm sure it was pretty embarrasing to Gap, I've thought of it often. That all of us have times in our life that can suck!

It's tough living in your sibling's shadow! :laugh:

Ask Chris Penn, Billy Carter, Roger Clinton, Lorna Luft (I'd include Joaquin Pheonix, but he's now bigger than river ever was) and so many others!

--Mr Bill

It's a total drag to come to a town for a concert and have five people in the audience. It's heartbreaking, disheartening, and depressing. I've been there. And I'm sorry - the only professional thing to do isn't to leave in a huff, but go out and give a damn good show for those five people. IMHO.

Definitely a problem with professionalism there. Though if I were a great jazz artist, I guess I'd be upset if less than a handful of people showed up. But not to the point of showing it to the audience. What a good way to reduce future audiences to zero!

seashorepiano said:
Definitely a problem with professionalism there. Though if I were a great jazz artist, I guess I'd be upset if less than a handful of people showed up. But not to the point of showing it to the audience. What a good way to reduce future audiences to zero!

Good point. There were a lot of stories of the great Miles Davis band in the early 60's where there would only be a small crowd in the clubs he played in, but that band would play just as hard as if there were a large crowd.

I've also played to small crowds. I just figure there would be less people who would hear whatever clunker of a note I might hit on occasion. :D

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom