• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Gap Mangione - Gap Mangione! (SP-4621)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 75.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gap Mangione
GAP MANGIONE!

A&M SP-4621

sp4621.jpg

Released 1976

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/8-Track

Produced by Gap Mangione
Executive Producer: Chuck Mangione
Musical Coordinator/Production Assistance: Steve Gadd

Songs:
  • 1. Theme From "Picnic" (G.W. Duning) - 4:17
    2. "The Graduate" Medley[list:b392bb566c]a. Scarborough Fair/Canticle (P. Simon/A. Garfunkel) - 1:21
    b. The Sound Of Silemce (P. Simon) - 1:42
    c. Mrs. Robinson (P. Simon) - 3:43
3. Laughter In The Rain (N. Sedaka/P. Cody) - 4:26
4. Little Lady, Little Man (G. Mangione) - 1:29
5. Hill Where The Lord Hides (C. Mangione) - 5:45
6. Legacy (Main Theme) (C. Mangione) - 5:08
7. I Won't Last A Day Without You (P. Williams/R. Nichols) - 6:36[/list:u:b392bb566c]

Musicians:
Gap Mangione - Rhodes Electric Piano, Acoustic Piano, Hammond Organ and ARP Soloist Synthesizer (trombone and flute sounds)
Tony Levin - Electric Bass and Stick
Steve Gadd - Drums and Percussion
Rubens Bassini - Percussion

Recorded and Mixed September, 1976 at: Criteria Studios, Miami, Florida, P.C.I. Studios, Rochester, New York and A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, California
Engineered by Mick Guzauski
Mastered at A&M Studios, Hollywood California
Mastering Engineer: Frank DeLuna

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Phil Shima
Photography: Harry Mittman
Painting and Calligraphy: Brian Hagiwara

This album is dedicated to Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, a beautiful man and a friend, who gave Chuck and me our FIRST record date.

Capt. Bacardi

This was a great album. I've looked for it on CD and have never found it. About 1978 and 1979 Gap would play a club here in Phoenix and he would do a lot of the material from this record.

later........Jay

The "small group" of musicians make "BIG SOUND"! Wonder what recording studios were used for what songs?? (...Or parts of songs???) The "Little Lady, Little Man" are Jason & Ardis, Gap's kids; not the song Bobby Sherman and Claudine Longet recorded and Sherman had the hit with... Tony Levin's Stick makes bass and guitar sounds--eliminating the need for one instrument, and the first album he used it on, as Gap was the first artist he recorded with! I had this album Still-Sealed and even recorded, what I think is a romantic version of "Moonglow/Theme From PICNIC" on a cassette to play in the car...(for a trip I never went on with my ex-...!) :baah: "Hill Where The Lord Hides" is a CHUCK Mangione composition (as is "LEGACY (Main Theme)", I think from a movie); Gap was known to, at times, sneak in his "Brother's Tunes"! :D "I Won't Last A Day Without You" (done rather cheerfully here) was recorded a year earlier by Herbie Mann, which also featured Rubens, Tony & Steve... And one of the best remakes of "Laughter In The Rain"! (...It made Neil Sedaka proud!) "THE GRADUATE Medley" ranged from moving to just inspiring; sure is easier to do a bit of each of these three songs, rather than an ENTIRE Simon & Garfunkel catalog, which would've used up an ENTIRE album! (And which I think The Band even considered...) Good EZ-Listening Jazz which proves that Fusion (If you would really even call this, that...) doesn't always have to "Rock Out"!! But along with it, a sound that is basically unchallenging and an obvious tendency to which you can hear these guys "Playing It Safe", compared to their first album, where they DID take a few risks and did make the songs a bit more daring! Here again, they played it TOO Safe! :|

(I'm sure I must'a given this LP ****--4-Stars, too!) :goofygrin:

Dave

What a horrendous album to listen to. :baah: This reminds me of some cheesy lounge act. "The Graduate" Medley was ho-hum, and I thought "Laughter In The Rain" was sooooo predictable and lame. The only thing that was close to being interesting was "Hill Where The Lord Hides". While Mangione had a good idea, he just didn't execute it well. Instead of using a real trombone player he did the ARP synth instead, which points to the real problem. Gap Mangione is not a good soloist. I've never heard him do much with a solo, even back in the old Mangione Brothers days of the 60's. This record is so lifeless, no warmth, no fire. Even with a great rhythm section this does nothing. Wake me when it's over, so I can give it a generous 2 stars, but only because I'm still in the holiday spirit! :whistle:

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom