• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Gap Mangione - GAP MANGIONE! (SP-4621)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gap Mangione
GAP MANGIONE!

A&M SP-4621

sp4621.jpg

Released 1976

Format: Vinyl

Produced by Gap Mangione
Executive Producer: Chuck Mangione
Musical Coordinator/Production Assistance: Steve Gadd

Songs:
  • 1. Theme From Picnic (G.W. Duning) - 4:17
    2. "The Graduate" Medley: [list:dfe11b4a7c]a) Scarborough Fair/Canticle (Paul Simon/Art Garfunkel) - 1:21
    b) The Sound Of Silence (Paul Simon) - 1:42
    c) Mrs. Robinson (Paul Simon) - 3:43
3. Laughter In The Rain (N. Sedaka/P. Cody) - 4:26
4. Little Lady, Little Man (Gap Mangione) - 1:29
5. Hill Where The Lord Hides (Chuck Mangione) - 5:45
6. Legacy (Main Theme) (Chuck Mangione) - 5:08
7. I Won't Last A Day Without You (P. Williams/R. Nichols) - 6:36

"Little Lady, Little Man" is for Ardis and Jason Mangione, with love.[/list:u:dfe11b4a7c]

Musicians:
Gap Mangione - Rhodes Electric Piano, Acoustic Piano, Hammond Organ and ARP Soloist Synthesizer ("trombone" and "flute" sounds)
Tony Levin - Electric Bass and Stick
Steve Gadd - Drums and Percussion
Rubens Bassini - Percussion

Recorded and Mixed September, 1976 at: Criteria Studios, Miami, Florida; P.C.I. Studios, Rochester, New York and A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, California
Engineered by Mick Guzauski
Mastered at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California
Mastering Engineer: Frank DeLuna

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Phil Shima
Photography: Harry Mittman
Painting and Calligraphy: Brian Hagiwara

Special thanks to Tony Levin and Steve Gadd for making our 4th reunion so creative, exciting and a real joy. And to Reubens Bassini for joing in. Also, thanks to Jeanne Townsend.

This album is dedicated to Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, a beautiful man and a friend, who gave Chuck and me our FIRST record date.

Capt. Bacardi

Interesting connections in the notes here. A Rubens Bassini mention, a dedication to Cannonball Adderley for his friendship and setting up Gap's first record date.

Haven't heard the album, though. I imagine the synthesized "flute" and "trombone" must be pretty mediocre.

So-so secondary-release by Chuck's brother, Gap... (Actually Gap made a couple o' albums on Mercury before his tenure here on A&M) "THE GRADUATE Medley (Scarborough Fair, Sounds Of Silence, Mrs. Robinson)" was actually done on Gap's debut, Diana In The Autumn Wind, nearly forty-years-ago...

There must be an interesting story as to which songs were done at which studios... --Wish there'd be more details on "the makings" of this LP...

Gonna have to dig up my review of this from the first time we did this one, though I'm sure my "viewpoint" is the same... :yawn:

Dave

This album is pretty bland, like most of Gap's albums. His first album, Diana In The Autumn Wind is tremendous. 100 times better than this and most of the albums Gap made for A&M.

This is a pretty lame album, apparently aimed for Muzak lovers. The only song of interest is "Legacy", where Mangione actually plays some pretty decent piano. But the rest is nothing more than background fluff, which is too bad considering the band he had with him. I wouldn't waste my time or money looking for this. 1 & 1/2 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

"The Gap Mangione album no one cared for"... (though it was really Suite Lady--or was it Dancin' Is Makin' Love...?)

Here's to the "flute" and "trombone" sounds from the ARP being "mediocre" as most brass/woodwinds played by a Synthesizer would be...

Seems like this would be a good album if it were geared more towards "Serious Jazz" as even Mangione's initial A&M LP, She And I almost was... Though there, too was too much of a "Cocktail Lounge" ennui... Watch out as next, "Gap hits the Discotheque...!!!" :blinkeye:

Dave

Since SP 4621 has been covered here it's safe to assume we can move beyond it for the next AOTW,
JB

It was an OK album... Yeah, drivel it was, as well... Glad we're moving onto the next LP-of-the-week, LP-Jim...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom